Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2015 10:07:57 PM EDT
I finally got a test date. If I pass the physical test in the morning, I take the written exam in the afternoon.

I would like to prepare for the test anyway I can, but the information is not available as to what will be tested.

Per the recruitment notice: "Please note that there are no specific study guides published for the exams; you are encouraged to use your local library or other resources to find helpful study material."

Would anyone be kind enough to make make a suggestion or two as to what reading material might be helpful for this exam?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
For the fire side, there are test prep books that ask similar types of questions. Betcha there's something like that for PD as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
hard to say. is it an essay exam or multiple choice?

most are multiple choice and include basic math, grammar, reading comprehension and such. I'm terrible at math so that's what I studied that stuff. Managed to find a PDF of the the study guide for the test we took. Might help: http://www.leandertx.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/police/page/260/ncjosi_study_guide-_enhanced_version_with_flyer_oct2012.pdf
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Nearly all the tests I took before I got hired were all pretty much the same but different at the same time.

They all covered basic math, if 7 items were stolen at different values what is the average cost of each item.

Vocabulary and spelling, pick out the word that is spelled correctly, sargent sergant sergeant sergiant etc

Some had maps, if your at location A and want to get to location B what route is fastest, and you select from the multiple choice answers.

Then a few I took had personality questions that were somewhat similar to a psych exam you would take later on during the hiring process.

The tests aren't designed for geniuses, but for people with common sense and are able to work under a time crunch (all test sections were timed so you have 10 minutes to answer 20 questions for example). Honestly my best advice for you is to take all the tests you can, that is really the only way to "study". Realize you won't get hired right away or by the first agency you test with, I was #2 on my list out of roughly 100 and it took me 18 months from written exam to my seat in the academy.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The test has so many variable formats within it, there's really no way to study.  It's designed to make sure you can process information and recall it, know vocabulary(yes, there are word analogies on some), read a map, and all around not be a complete mental brick(seriously).  They even ask questions about which calls in order are priority on the stacked list.

There's a scenario you will read, have it taken away, and then answer several questions from it.   It's common sense, but these days that's a hard trait to find.  Thus, the test is designed to find those with a objective-oriented mentality, not those who try to be completely subjective about every decision.

This is of course from my and numerous agencies around the DC area, your results may vary.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you say "if" you pass the physical test?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you say "if" you pass the physical test?
View Quote

I hate to admit it - but I am borderline in one area of the test. I started slacking on PT over the last year. I've got 12 days to get up to speed.

I am on every email list for every agency within an hour drive of my house and this is the first agency to even accept applications in the last year. Somewhere during the last year of waiting for ANY agency in the area to accept applications, I got lazy and this opportunity to test caught me off guard. I won't let that happen again.

Anyway - thanks for the info guys. Quite honestly, I'm more worried about the physical test than the written anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The test I took was on about a 12th grade level. PT was a breeze. Tho oral interview was where TSHTF. Lasted a hour and a half. Then the academy is where they really weed out the holster sniffers from the guys with desire. I was 35 when I went. Damn near killed me but I kept up and graduated 5th out a class of 65. My class was the only ever to graduate 100% of the students. The instructors happy and worried at the same time. In the last week they really turned up the heat trying to loose someone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Police or fire? Two of the most popular exams are the POST and the McCann. Both have study guides available online. Go to your local book store and you will find Barron's and other test prep books. All are good resources. Practice your multiplication tables and long division before hand so you don't waste time trying to remember how to do it on the day of the test. Brush up on vocabulary and basic grammar. They questions are likely to be multiple choice with some formats occasionally including a writing section where you will be asked to write a sentence based off info given. Good luck. Square your fitness away asap and keep it that way. Being borderline will bite you in the ass now and later
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The Barron's Police Exam Study Guide has always helped out big time for me. It helped me score well enough to get the hired with the current dept I'm with. I used the same study guide again when I applied at a different agency a couple of months ago. I scored a 92% and placed in the top 15 out of 200 applicants.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nearly all the tests I took before I got hired were all pretty much the same but different at the same time.

They all covered basic math, if 7 items were stolen at different values what is the average cost of each item.

Vocabulary and spelling, pick out the word that is spelled correctly, sargent sergant sergeant sergiant etc

Some had maps, if your at location A and want to get to location B what route is fastest, and you select from the multiple choice answers.

Then a few I took had personality questions that were somewhat similar to a psych exam you would take later on during the hiring process.

The tests aren't designed for geniuses, but for people with common sense and are able to work under a time crunch (all test sections were timed so you have 10 minutes to answer 20 questions for example). Honestly my best advice for you is to take all the tests you can, that is really the only way to "study". Realize you won't get hired right away or by the first agency you test with, I was #2 on my list out of roughly 100 and it took me 18 months from written exam to my seat in the academy.

Good luck
View Quote

This

J-
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck

This

J-

If there is a map, North may not always be at the top, look for a direction indicator
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Civil service exam guide. Found in every library and most bookstores. Leo FF and postal service exams many times use the same gen Ed entry level aptitude tests.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If there is a map, North may not always be at the top, look for a direction indicator

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck

This

J-

This is worth quoting. Had about a dozen of these today. Based on the number of guys I saw finishing the test WAY before I did, I just have to assume they didn't catch that detail.

Oh, and I passed the physical test today.

The agency I tested for uses the POST graduation standards as their entrance requirements. It sucked - bad. But I passed and I now know what I need to work on.

I will get the results on the written test I took this afternoon in about a week.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The test I took was on about a 12th grade level.
View Quote

Mine was easier than that, I took it when I was in 10th grade and scored a 100.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Passed the written test.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations on the written test dude. Now, oral review board. I sit on ours, and see the same stupid crap repeatedly. I'm watching Dora with my daughter, and Dora sucks, so I'm going to help you out. Here goes:

Different agencies look for different things. Find out what they look for. It amazes me the people who show up with no preparation. Spend some time and study the agency. You can get on the Internet and find population, crime stats, mission statement, special units etc. I guarantee they have some kind of website or social media that will give you a look into agency's accomplishments and special projects. Learn as much as you can about them. Bring up the things you would like to engage in as an officer.One of the advantages of advance preparation, is confidence; you'll go in knowing you've done everything possible to prepare.

Do not lie. I repeat, do not lie. If you wouldn't write your mother a ticket, don't say you would. That may be seen as a negative by some reviewers, but you don't want to work for an agency that expects you to lie. The fact is, no one would write their mom a ticket; unless they're a grade A, America hating douchenozzle. If you are a douchenozzle, and would write your mom a ticket, they deserve to know. If you would dime out a fellow officer for stealing something, raping a donkey whatever, tell them what you would do. You will be talking to some of the most lied to individuals on the planet, they'll smell lies on you like you shat yourself. Don't do that either.

Think about these things beforehand, and answer the damn question. Don't try to keep from giving the wrong answer by spitting out words and not saying anything.

At some point, you will get a sinking feeling that you are blowing it. See that as your opportunity to show the board how well you perform under stress. Stress is a normal, natural reaction. How you handle it, and respond, will set you apart.

Get your hair cut, shave, and wear a suit. Shake everyone'should hand and look them in the eye. When answering a question, sit up like you have some pride in yourself and look people in the eye.

Dora has ended. Time for dinner. I was going to PM this, but I decided to put it up here, why not.

If you have any questions, PM me. I may reply.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congratulations on the written test dude. Now, oral review board. I sit on ours, and see the same stupid crap repeatedly. I'm watching Dora with my daughter, and Dora sucks, so I'm going to help you out. Here goes:

Different agencies look for different things. Find out what they look for. It amazes me the people who show up with no preparation. Spend some time and study the agency. You can get on the Internet and find population, crime stats, mission statement, special units etc. I guarantee they have some kind of website or social media that will give you a look into agency's accomplishments and special projects. Learn as much as you can about them. Bring up the things you would like to engage in as an officer.One of the advantages of advance preparation, is confidence; you'll go in knowing you've done everything possible to prepare.

Do not lie. I repeat, do not lie. If you wouldn't write your mother a ticket, don't say you would. That may be seen as a negative by some reviewers, but you don't want to work for an agency that expects you to lie. The fact is, no one would write their mom a ticket; unless they're a grade A, America hating douchenozzle. If you are a douchenozzle, and would write your mom a ticket, they deserve to know. If you would dime out a fellow officer for stealing something, raping a donkey whatever, tell them what you would do. You will be talking to some of the most lied to individuals on the planet, they'll smell lies on you like you shat yourself. Don't do that either.

Think about these things beforehand, and answer the damn question. Don't try to keep from giving the wrong answer by spitting out words and not saying anything.

At some point, you will get a sinking feeling that you are blowing it. See that as your opportunity to show the board how well you perform under stress. Stress is a normal, natural reaction. How you handle it, and respond, will set you apart.

Get your hair cut, shave, and wear a suit. Shake everyone'should hand and look them in the eye. When answering a question, sit up like you have some pride in yourself and look people in the eye.

Dora has ended. Time for dinner. I was going to PM this, but I decided to put it up here, why not.

If you have any questions, PM me. I may reply.
View Quote

Thank you very much for your response - it really is appreciated. My kids grew up on Dora and SpongeBob, and I have many memories of getting things done during those episodes.

As you requested a PM, I will do that too. But I have a few questions that I would like to ask and keeping this public may help someone else someday.

I think some background is in order here, so please allow me to share my experience so far as others entering the process might be able to take something from it. Every area is different, so their mileage may vary. First for me was a reality check: I am competing against people who are more qualified than I am for a limited number of spots.  These guys (and girls) are 23-26 years old, most are former military and in fantastic physical shape. They are young, intelligent and driven. They likely have never been in handcuffs and most have a college degree. It doesn't hurt to remind myself that I am competing for a 6 figure job with full benefits and a multi-million dollar retirement. To lose sight of these realities would be a mistake. I understand that in some parts of the country law enforcement careers are almost poverty level - this isn't one of them. A local city recently had 2500+ applicants competing for 8 slots.

Knowing that I cannot compete on a physical or educational level has left me with few options. The interview is one of the areas I anticipate excelling in but I have some questions I was hoping you might help me with:

1. I honestly am having a bit of trouble in what I should be learning about the agency in question. There is only so much info available, and unlike other agencies, I don't know anyone employed by this particular one. In the interest of disclosure, the agency in question is a state wide one - the kind that patrols highways. In my state, they are the chief agency - and quite frankly I am surprised I have made it this far into their process. Any suggestions on which aspect of this type of agency I should be learning?

2. This will seem trivial, but I am glad you brought it up: I own a nice suit and was planning on wearing it. I get my hair cut neatly on a weekly basis. BUT - I have a very short, neatly trimmed full beard. I was wondering if it was in my best interest to shave it off for the interview or to make certain it was tidy? I did take note that the instructors and administrators of the test were all clean shaven.

3. The next step of my process is an individual interview (one on one type) before the background investigation begins. Oral boards come later if I pass the multitude of other steps between here and here. While I am comfortable with who I am, I just don't know what type of person they are looking for. I don't want to come across too eager and I don't want to come across as a robotic asshole. I manage a team at work and have a reputation as somewhat of a hard-ass (although personable because part of my job is in sales) and I don't know if I should maintain that part of my personality or lighten up for the interview?

Again, I greatly appreciate the time it took you to respond to my post and I hope to hear more from you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am competing against people who are more qualified than I am for a limited number of spots.  These guys (and girls) are 23-26 years old, most are former military and in fantastic physical shape. They are young, intelligent and driven. They likely have never been in handcuffs and most have a college degree. It doesn't hurt to remind myself that I am competing for a 6 figure job with full benefits and a multi-million dollar retirement. To lose sight of these realities would be a mistake. I understand that in some parts of the country law enforcement careers are almost poverty level - this isn't one of them. A local city recently had 2500+ applicants competing for 8 slots.
View Quote

When I took the exams for my local county PDs back in NY there were people from all over the country taking it. More than 30,000 people showed up to take each of those exams.
ETA: More than 40,000 took the one PD's exam not too long ago.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]
1. Find out all you can. Get creative
2. Lose the beard.
3. Be the most professional, articulate version of yourself you can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Oral board completed today - I should have the results in a few days.

I didn't bomb it, but it wasn't exactly a shining moment of my life either. Amazing how stressful just sitting across a table from 3 people you don't know can be in a setting like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top