Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2015 2:33:37 AM EDT
How long do you wait to intervene?

Had a fight on my unit the other day during dinner.  It was just me from the get go so I focused on clearing everyone else out of the dayroom.  By the time I made it clear that everyone needed to lock in and started to focus on the fight the officer from the adjacent housing unit showed up.  Two guys standing up throwing punches.  I wasn't too keen on getting involved until we had a few more responders on the unit but he jumped right in.  Got right beside the fight so I positioned myself on the other side.  Within a second he wrapped up the one guy who had immediately shown signs of calling it quits once we got next to them.

He was ushered away to the corner by the other officer.  The problem now is that the other guy is showing no signs of backing down.  He was a pretty big guy and 1v1 didn't seem like a very good day at the office for me but he wasn't focused on me, he was still locked on to the corner where my partner and the other guy was.  I cut him off and unholstered my OC(wouldn't have got in the way but he was now headed to the corner where the other officer was and I had no idea what was going on in that corner at this point, didn't want him getting over to that corner with a fellow officer over there dealing with someone else).  By the time I got my OC holster unsnapped he was on me.  I pushed back with my off-hand and pulled my OC out but by this time the other officer was side by side with me so instead of spraying him with both took control of an arm and took him down.

My issue is getting involved when we only had two officers attempting to control two inmates that posed no immediate threat to anyone but themselves.  Especially when we normally have a team of at least two more people no more than 30 seconds away.  Am I wrong here or should II address this with the other officer?  I just don't feel the need to put myself in that situation just to prevent a couple of inmates landing a few more punches on eachother.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#1]
'Why they make us carry these all the time...

'Give a couple of warnings/orders to cease their pugalistic ways... if they don't... "squirt".
Hopefully by then your backup is present and you can intervene once one guy starts to lose.

Stepping in to break up a fight on your own is just stupid.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I work in a smaller county jail with roughly 80-100 inmates, we only have 3 CO's working at any given time with one of them being the tower officer.

With that being said I intervene the fastest I can, luckily we also have tasers which often helps to break up fights rather quickly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Our policy was always to wait until a Sgt was on the scene before entering the block.  Generally by the time the Sgt arrived we would have sufficient staff on hand to deal with the issue.  I never saw an inmate get seriously hurt while waiting for enough guys to go in and deal with matters in a safe manner.  The two worst I saw were a couple guys going at it with mop handles and an 8 vs 1.  The 1 in the 8 vs 1 was bloody but stayed on his feet the whole time, I was impressed.

This was back in the old days before TASERs.  The only weapon in the population areas was the OC the LT carried.  I am told things are a lot different now including the level of violence.

I would talk to your fellow officer, that does not sound like good officer safety.  Unlesss someone is getting thrown down the stairs or getting their head stomped into the concrete they are probably going to be ok taking a few punches to the face and you can wait a little bit until you have more people.  Yeah bad things can happen in a fist fight, just ask that soccer refferee that died from a sinlge punch, but there is no need to put your safety at risk for a couple inmates.  You are a CO, not superman.

Tell him at the very least if he was going to do that he should have grabbed the bigger guy.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I try not to call the code until there is blood or someone ends up on the ground. Get the rest of the pod locked in before breaking up the fight. Give them an order or two to stop, then paint 'em orange.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in direct a direct supervision county jail and our policy is the pod officer does not get involved in fights between inmates. They are to order the other inmates to rack off and call for floor officers to come and break up the fight. There is generally 2-5 officers on a floor (outside of officers working in the pods) and most officers will respond even if on another floor. I'd say the average fight lasts <1 minute before the first group of responding officers breaks it up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
At the institution I work at we have tiered levels of response. We
designate several officers who work on the yard as first responders who
carry MK9 cans (all officers carry MK4s too). When a fights break out the dorm officer waits for
their arrival before we roll the door to intervene. Other than that the
only intervention is verbal commands. Our policy is to not risk ourselves in a situation that could be a trap for officers.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
We are SUPPOSED to wait to enter the dorm until we have at least 1 additional officer.  However, 9/10 we respond immediately.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Verbal directives, Deploy half to one second bursts of oc.  Maintain reactionary gap, continue directives wait for responders... profit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Back when I worked in the jail, we always got back to the pod after the fight was finished.  Only one serious beating.  I never carried spray though, always the taser.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
'Why they make us carry these all the time...

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Girlieman/media/images-2_zpsgilhywhp.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Girlieman/images-2_zpsgilhywhp.jpeg</a>

'Give a couple of warnings/orders to cease their pugalistic ways... if they don't... "squirt".
Hopefully by then your backup is present and you can intervene once one guy starts to lose.

Stepping in to break up a fight on your own is just stupid.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in the day when I was assigned to the jail division... When a fight broke out we immediately called out twice on the radio "Fight in D2A, Fight in D2A". Literally within 20 seconds there would be a dozen guys show up, followed by supervisor with OC and pepper ball gun and another jailer with video camera. Then we would go in.  Under ZERO circumstances for officer safety were we permitted to go in alone.

Also only supervisors had access to pepper ball gun and they were only ones allowed to carry OC.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
No oc, no tasers, just fists. First check your 6, lock the rest down, then intervene in fight when you get backup.  Only jump in quick in the chow halls where we coulda lost it all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#13]
In an 8 floor county jail, we always had to wait for a supervisor,to respond with us, when responding to a housing unit from intake / booking.

Fight in progress...3 of us ran to the elevator, and waited and waited and waited for a supervisor.

He finally arrived and asked us what the rush was.

His philosophy?  They'll quit in one of three ways...when they get tired...when we get there...or when they bleed out.

A lot of wisdom in the old guy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like you are in a direct supervision jail? I too worked a direct supervision jail. When I first started I supervised 95 inmates, in one pod, by myself. It was way overcrowded and fights kicked off about every 3rd day.

I've separated hundreds of fights in my career and not once did the inmates redirect their anger at me and attempt to attack me, so that's a plus. They usually just want to beat the crap out of each other, and not the officer (usually). Our policy was to immediately call for backup, then spray the inmates with OC and wait for backup. Never go hands on until backup arrives or it was life or death (inmate getting stomped to death, etc) Backup usually arrived within 30 seconds.

I actually body slammed two scrawny little guys (100 pound weaklings) once and had them both cuffed and stuffed before backup arrived. I was feeling a little frisky I guess. Got my ass chewed for that one, but it went well, no regrets.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
When I worked in a jail, I worked in booking, which was on the other side of the complex and you were assigned that position. Had about 9 officers on shift, one in each tower, a sgt and a Lt. If there was a fight, depending on which tower, the officer would call code and we would all run to that officer. Never were you allowed to go into a cell block by yourself during a fight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread makes me happy that we always have a Taser on site...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Taser...The solution. Merely the sight of it stops alot. The funniest thing I ever saw was one of the violent felon pods refused to lock down. They called me, a street Sergeant, to handle the situation. I activated the TACT guys and called in most of the street guys.

The help arrived and the TACT commander gave verbal commands to lock up or we were comming in. Nobody complied. We popped open the feeding slot and a couple of flash bangs were tossed in. Two guys proceeded into their cell followed by a flash bang.This was sheer coincidence. Needless to say in a six by twelve cell the concussion was pretty bad. Those poor guys exited the cell and proned out on the floor. Talk about a WTF look. We had them checked at the ER on my order. They were ok. If told to lockdown always close the door behind you.

Always wait for proper help before involving yourself. They may be setting you up. Proper help varies on the situation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Had to delete
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Rather strange all of you talk about taser like it's the end all be all fight ender. It is quite obvious that the majority of you haven't deployed a taser on a flailing subject. I have worked in 2 state prisons and I am now a road officer for a municipality, and find the taser useful but not perfect. Taser is a great tool, but if 1 prong misses or gets hung up in baggy clothing (ie most prisoner clothing) it'll give a drive stun type of shock and DOES NOT incapacitate the subject. Neuro muscular lock only occurs for 5 seconds and many forget that these are the seconds should be used for cuffing or at least gaining control of the target. The taser DOES NOT replace basic defensive tactics and physical fitness.

When it comes to corrections, it's your duty to protect the public AND offender. At the same time, it's your duty to protect yourself too. A common fight with no weapons will inflict minimal damage. Let them tire out, then step in and clean up...
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:52:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow, in crook county sheriffs dept jail. (shitcago) sheriff tom dart gives criminals yoga classes, chess matches, hair salon outings for trannys, nitendo wii, microwaves, ice, liver transplants, dermetologists, guitar lessons, basketball tournaments, cable tv.

we dont get shit, no tazers, no vest, no OC, no batons.

So what I do is nothing...just tell them "If your gonna argue do something or shut the fuck up. I aint gonna stop you's from fighthing, im gonna wait until your tired and throw your ass in seg".  that shit always works they just shut up and stop arguing.

when I worked in super max we never go in unless we have enough staff, and that usually took a while due to always being short staffed.  I learned my lesson the hard way.  we have so much polictical corruption that our brass never worked or had experience working around inmates.  one of our unexperienced sgts decided to walk into a tier with 60 super max inmates squaring off.... it was only 5 of us.  The sgt walked in so we werent going to let him go alone.  the five of us suddenly were surrounded by 3/4 of the tier. it was a tier that had an imbalanced number of Folk gang faction.  All the folks surrounded us and we stood our ground.  I stood my ground and not once fell to the floor, I swung at every savage that came to me even though I was getting punched behind the head repeatedly.  I tried standing close to my partner that was on the ground fighting and I felt guilty that I couldnt help him sooner as I had my own battles.

Eventually I had that crazy adrenaline rush where I had tunnel vision and couldnt hear anything just a loud buzz.  Time passed and it was a while before backup arrived.  my black gloves were soaking red (black gloves were illegal because they intimidate inmates) after about 15 minutes of fighting.  Little by little we started getting more officers.  after the 30 minute ritot the floor had a large puddle of blood in the middle of the dayroom and it looked like somebody dragged a big mop from the middle to the exit.... we managed to drag every savage that fought with us out.  we later learned that it was a setup to kill certain officers and one of them was the one that was on the floor by me.  I was a two year rookie then and was already and experienced jail brawler. city and state cops never fight with us at bars because they know they will loose.

this was when we had control of the largest single site jail in the nation.  now we have this lawyer sheriff who made the jail into a country club and lets savages do whatever they want and arrest officers for defending themselves.  No wonder shicago is murder capitol now.. there are no repercussions... Im sorry if i vented out it just stresses me out that this sheriff puts a front page article about officers calling in this past weekend blaming it on the mayweather fight. he doesnt realize that morale is low.

dont ever rush in or let your coworker rush in, its about going home in one piece.  Call it in and be a good observer.
View Quote

Are you being serious?

ETA

Who says this? I mean... come on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm working at a lvl1 now, the former lvl3 and 4 inmates break up most of the fights before we even know what is going on. They don't want a lockdown here, it means no visitation for the whole place and no canteen for that week.
Most of the fights are between the younger guys, the ones that have not been behind the wall. They seem to think that they are some sort of badass because lvl 1 is a cakewalk. The shotcallers are busy "educating" in the TV room a few times a month.

I'm not first line when we do have to break up something, but its never one on one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Back when I worked in the county jail, you didn't intervene until you had a team assembled outside the tank/pod. After awhile, I just sit and watch them fight until a team assembled(1-2 mins). It was a waste of time and energy yelling "Stop fighting now!".
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Our sop is we don't get involved until back up. Usually the unit officer does not get involved at all because he needs to see what's going on for the report afterward.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Former "BOPper" here...

Hit the "Body Alarm" and wait for backup; DO NOT GET INVOLVED, otherwise, you will get ganged up and your ass will get beat the fuck up before the backup arrives to break it up.

Seen it too many when a C/O tries to get involved, only to have both inmates turn on the officer.

Wait for "The Blue Wave" (aka The Cavalry) to show up before you jump into the tiger pit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
city and state cops never fight with us at bars because they know they will loose.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know what all you'll are talking about.  I go pop a bag of popcorn.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

. city and state cops never fight with us at bars because they know they will loose.
View Quote

A Navy SEAL I met told me that they are taught to stay away from corrections officers for that very reason.

At the Kit Kat club when the C.O.s wander in the state an local police bail the fuck out. The Kit Kat club is practically OWNED by the Allegheny county jail officers and the Pittsburgh police are terrified of them.

Asks me how I know....
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When I worked in a jail, I worked in booking, which was on the other side of the complex and you were assigned that position. Had about 9 officers on shift, one in each tower, a sgt and a Lt. If there was a fight, depending on which tower, the officer would call code and we would all run to that officer. Never were you allowed to go into a cell block by yourself during a fight.
View Quote

Likewise..as I was trained everyone, other jail officers, Sgt's, Lt's, always told me..if they're gonna fight then they'll fight. No reason for you to go in playing hero. Let em at each other and they'll either stop on their own or we can go in once support arrives.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A Navy SEAL I met told me that they are taught to stay away from corrections officers for that very reason.

At the Kit Kat club when the C.O.s wander in the state an local police bail the fuck out. The Kit Kat club is practically OWNED by the Allegheny county jail officers and the Pittsburgh police are terrified of them.

Asks me how I know....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

. city and state cops never fight with us at bars because they know they will loose.

Asks me how I know....

I have worked in 2 state prisons and now work on patrol for a municipality. Corrections officers aren't taught a FRACTION of the defensive tactics that road officer learn. Also COs are usually not of the best fitness level (granted there are exceptions to this rule) but for the most part road officers are trained better and in better shape. I don't understand why corrections believe they get into more fights. My whole career in corrections, I was probably in about 10 TRUE knock down drag out fights. I come close to that in 2 pay cycles on the road. Also I don't know any half intelligent grown men who talk about bar brawls consisting of corrections and police officers... This is real life. I cannot comprehend why any of you think the above post or preceeding similar post deserve to be bragged upon or told like it's something to be proud of. Who says this stuff? Do you realize how you sound when telling these tales? Please do upstanding corrections officers a favor and don't brag about how "tough" you guys think you are. In reality we are nothing compared to some out there... You owe your fellow corrections guys an apology because I guarantee some of them are shaking their heads while reading your post.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:32:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have worked in 2 state prisons and now work on patrol for a municipality. Corrections officers aren't taught a FRACTION of the defensive tactics that road officer learn. Also COs are usually not of the best fitness level (granted there are exceptions to this rule) but for the most part road officers are trained better and in better shape. I don't understand why corrections believe they get into more fights. My whole career in corrections, I was probably in about 10 TRUE knock down drag out fights. I come close to that in 2 pay cycles on the road. Also I don't know any half intelligent grown men who talk about bar brawls consisting of corrections and police officers... This is real life. I cannot comprehend why any of you think the above post or preceeding similar post deserve to be bragged upon or told like it's something to be proud of. Who says this stuff? Do you realize how you sound when telling these tales? Please do upstanding corrections officers a favor and don't brag about how "tough" you guys think you are. In reality we are nothing compared to some out there... You owe your fellow corrections guys an apology because I guarantee some of them are shaking their heads while reading your post.
View Quote

Defensive tactics.

ETA: I'm not trying to disagree with you. I just think it's funny you think that the defensive tactics being taught are being used when COs talk about fighting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Defensive tactics.

ETA: I'm not trying to disagree with you. I just think it's funny you think that the defensive tactics being taught are being used when COs talk about fighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Defensive tactics.

Yeah that's what we call ummm... the training that pertains to fighting. I can't recall once when working as a CO we were taught any jui jitsu, chokes, or mounts which are taught to a degree each year,  and offered 3 times weekly to everyone who wants to participate. I bet corrections is still teaching pressure points like the mandubular angle, and wrist locks... A redneck swinging fists while drinking makes most men halfway competent at fighting laugh, as it very well should. This is exactly what these guys are talking about. A bunch of rednecks, throwing haymakers.

And ETA: Re read your post.. and yes I doubt their DT is even remembered at that point lol.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:09:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah that's what we call ummm... the training that pertains to fighting. I can't recall once when working as a CO we were taught any jui jitsu, chokes, or mounts which are taught to a degree each year,  and offered 3 times weekly to everyone who wants to participate. I bet corrections is still teaching pressure points like the mandubular angle, and wrist locks... A redneck swinging fists while drinking makes most men halfway competent at fighting laugh, as it very well should. This is exactly what these guys are talking about. A bunch of rednecks, throwing haymakers.
View Quote

My DT training was a joke. It consisted of a wrist lock, reverse wrist lock, shoulder lock and the goose neck come along. All the locks were only tought from a starting position of the attackers hand on my shoulder becasue you know that's how any use of force starts. a hammer fists to both sides (my right and left) and front were the only strikes. I was shown one technigue to handcuff someone. I wasn't shown any presure points or defenses against attack. At one poinbt the Deputy SGT teaching even stated "When you get hit, you just have to do what you have to do." What a fucking joke.

I do wish we could get some in-service training for dealing with combative inmates as a group. I've seen more officers injured by other officers then I have by inmates. It's always just a dog pile with everyone trying to do their own thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My DT training was a joke. It consisted of a wrist lock, reverse wrist lock, shoulder lock and the goose neck come along. All the locks were only tought from a starting position of the attackers hand on my shoulder becasue you know that's how any use of force starts. a hammer fists to both sides (my right and left) and front were the only strikes. I was shown one technigue to handcuff someone. I wasn't shown any presure points or defenses against attack. At one poinbt the Deputy SGT teaching even stated "When you get hit, you just have to do what you have to do." What a fucking joke.

I do wish we could get some in-service training for dealing with combative inmates as a group. I've seen more officers injured by other officers then I have by inmates. It's always just a dog pile with everyone trying to do their own thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm fortunate to have such a proactive dept now. Training division really goes out of their way to provide you with a great "toolbox". None of the 1990s tactics work because fighting is all but static. Also remember that nearly all fights end up on the ground... unless of course you're at a bar and have ingested liquid courage. Then everyone just leaves shaking in fear.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I know here in MI, the academy for local corrections officers (Think Sheriff's Departments) the largest point of instruction was defensive tactics.
At 40 hours for DT though, it's still well behind to what road officer standards are in this state and pales to what really is needed overall.
At least the instructors were well aware of that and made the point to focus on the mindset you'll need, rather than just making sure your hitting the practicals point by point.
There are officers in my department that I know that if they get in a fight, they aren't going to have a chance.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Asks me how I know....

Tune up your sarcasm meter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top