Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 4:20:55 PM EDT
Hey guys after being on days for the past decade I moved back to night when I got promoted. I have realized that the the Ol' Stinger XT that I carry is lacking in output. Its the old style Xenon incandescent bulb.

I'm looking for a quality drop in LED upgrade kit for it. The light is prob 15 years old and has just the tail cap switch and is all metal (not a poly stinger).

Did some googling and to be honest I have never really kept up on LED tech over the years (been a cop for 20 years and started with an old D CELL MAG LITE when I came on the job LOL).

Any suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
J-
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Promotion=more money.   Buy a new Stinger.  Better yet, make your dept. buy you a new one.  

The drop in LED that I bought from Amazon works great. I actually bought three.  Then a light rolled off the counter onto the floor, which isn't that bad of an impact for a Stinger.  The led FELL THE FUCK OFF the circuit board, making my stinger into an ineffective impact weapon producing zero lumens.  

The new LED stingers are great.

My brother showed me one of these he uses that someone gave him:

http://www.costco.com/.product.100084625.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

I am not sure if it was that exact light, but it did take c-cells.  The light output is nothing short of amazing for that price point and the mirror/lense cast a perfect wide beam that can be focused down to take bone density exams from about 500 feet. I can't say how they stand up to abuse, but I would buy this set if I didn't already have flashlights to light up my flashlights...............
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with the Terralux drop in since they upgraded it.  Malkoff Devices drop in is the best but he's not making that model anymore.  If you contacted him he might do a custom one for you or try to find a used one somewhere.  My Malkoff is fucking bombproof

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I ended up getting the Terralux 300lumen drop in. seems to be a pretty quaility piece and works great. Install took 45seconds max, lol

J-
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a stinger with the Terralux too. Not that impressed with it. Check into the Fenix PD35. One half the size and weight of the stinger with two to three times the light output. Runs on either two 123 batteries or a single 18650 rechargable.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have multiple Stingers but I haven't installed any LEDs because if I have to send in the light for any other work I'm afraid it would void out any warranty.
Maybe after 20 years its time to look at new lights but then again its what I would deem an optional expense not driven by need
Money is tight enough as it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top