Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 10:00:50 PM EDT
I use UnderArmour coldgear and coldgear tactical and it just isn't warm enough. It actually feels cold on my skin. I have major issues staying warm, even if it is 60 degrees out. I'm looking for a black mock turtleneck that is warm and thin. I've seen a couple of things out there like the warmed lines of UnderArmour, but they have a couple of colored stripes on the neck area, which won't fly with our uniform standards. Anybody have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I go to ski/camping places and look there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have found these to be very warm.

http://www.terramarsports.com/product?productsearch=TXO&warmth=3

Also this company.http://www.minus33.com/

It's important to keep the UA layer next to your skin, for wicking, and then add one of these over it. Or heavyweight silk.

I'm a FL boy originally, and I too get cold easily.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
what about some of the polar tech ECWS stuff. I have a couple of the mock turtles that I wear as a base layer for icefishing.  I get it at cabelas so I can use my points.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=polar+tec+&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

J-
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got some of the older Cabelas ECWCS for hunting and love it. I can't wear their black because it has the stripes on it. The Rogers mock at minus33 looks like it would work. Anybody worn any of their stuff and know if it is worth the $?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The Under Armour Base 3.0 is good. Little spendy, but it is good stuff. And it is compatible with your uniform requirements.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Under Armour Base 3.0 is good. Little spendy, but it is good stuff. And it is compatible with your uniform requirements.
View Quote

This.  UA, although pricey, is just the entry point into the world of quality thermal gear.  Go to a camping or mountaineering store for even better quality options.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got some of the older Cabelas ECWCS for hunting and love it. I can't wear their black because it has the stripes on it. The Rogers mock at minus33 looks like it would work. Anybody worn any of their stuff and know if it is worth the $?
View Quote

Yep, the minus33 stuff is top notch. A bowhunter buddy turned me on to them, since I was always whining about being cold. The first time I wore their Merino wool top under my normal jacket,. I was too hot!

Many cold weather enthusiasts suggest wool, or heavyweight silk for extra warmth. Bowhunting is a good example to use, since you are just sitting there in a stand not moving much, for hours at a time.

I would ask for suggestions on some of the hunting sub forums, or ask on the hometown forum of a bitterly cold State, like AK,MT, or ND, etc.,  what guys wear there on patrol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Stopped using synthetic cold weather stuff in favor of wool a while back.  Freaking love it!

http://www.hanksclothing.com/woolx_x719_xtreme_dickie.html

Get a nice dickie and wear whatever you want underneath.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a cheap starter brand knock off last year at walmart when I was in a pinch before some crappy weather snd my whole unit got called in (gotta love special ops). It is by far the warmest under armor type shirt I own and if I remember correctly is was like 15 bucks. It looks like a regular under armour type shirt on the outside but the inside looks almost like felt. At the price its hard to justify NOT trying it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top