Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 1:04:18 PM EDT
Last week I had a close call.  We curbed a vehicle for going the wrong way on a way street around 2100 hrs.  There was 4 of us in a car.  My partner was the business officer and my other partner was the guard officer.  Me and another officer were behind them.  The driver produced his DL and his insurance.  From the beginning  I was a little cautious because the vehicle was a van with full limo tints.   Around where I work most shootings are done in vans with tints.  Anyways my partner ran the name and everything was clear.  Guard officer noticed open alcohol in cups and saw a bag of week in the center console.  Guard officer told the passenger to hand over the bag of weed.   The passenger did but started going in his front right pocket.  My partner saw him digging in his pocket and pulls out a tarus millenium pro 45.  He points the pistol at my partner while he was still in his seat.  My partner was close enough that he grabbed the pistol from his hand.  Me and my other partner came dragged the passenger out the door and cuffed him.  The business officer also cuffed the driver.  I cleared the weapon and he had 9rds in the magazine and one in the pipe.  Hornady hollow points too.  I asked my partner why he didn't shoot him and he said it was quicker to grab the pistol and redirect the muzzle away from him than drawing his pistol at his distance.  I'm glad everything worked out that way it did.   Busy out here but I love it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad it ended well. Why were there four of you in one car?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why were there four of you in one car?
View Quote

We did that all the time in plainclothes. Did it in traffic too due to a lack of cars.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We did that all the time in plainclothes. Did it in traffic too due to a lack of cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Us too. Detroit used to run 4 man booster cars nicknamed "the big four"

J-
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the way it goes sometimes. I was nearly shot/nearly shot someone my third day cut lose on my own.

I roll up on a domestic and they are in the street in front the house, husband pointing a shotgun at his wife in her car who's trying to drive away.

I dump out my car about 40 yards away and draw my weapon and start taking the slack out of the trigger for a shot as he's swinging the shotgun towards me, right before my shot breaks he drops the gun and runs.

If he'd have been closer I'd have probably dumped rounds as he was turning but due to the angle I was worried my rounds would hit his wife/kid in the car (esp. at that distance).

Made me doublethink my career choice for sure. He had birdshot in the shotgun so I'd have been fine even if he'd have shot at me, but I didn't know it at the time. And TBH I still can't guarantee my rounds wouldn't have hit his wife/kid who were behind him and slightly to the side at that point.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

I must be spoiled by having a vehicle to myself.

Quoted:
He had birdshot in the shotgun so I'd have been fine even if he'd have shot at me, but I didn't know it at the time. And TBH I still can't guarantee my rounds wouldn't have hit his wife/kid who were behind him and slightly to the side at that point.

Not to start a ballistics debate and hijack the OP's thread, but even at 40 yards I wouldn't want bird shot coming at me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He had birdshot in the shotgun so I'd have been fine BLIND even if he'd have shot at me, but I didn't know it at the time.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Usually there are 2 to a car but that day we were riding 4 in a non-caged car.  It's been a busy summer on the West Side.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Four to a vehicle would be nice.  I'd settle for even two.  Most shifts I'm on by myself, or there's another officer with his own vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's the way it goes sometimes. I was nearly shot/nearly shot someone my third day cut lose on my own.

I roll up on a domestic and they are in the street in front the house, husband pointing a shotgun at his wife in her car who's trying to drive away.

I dump out my car about 40 yards away and draw my weapon and start taking the slack out of the trigger for a shot as he's swinging the shotgun towards me, right before my shot breaks he drops the gun and runs.

If he'd have been closer I'd have probably dumped rounds as he was turning but due to the angle I was worried my rounds would hit his wife/kid in the car (esp. at that distance).

Made me doublethink my career choice for sure. He had birdshot in the shotgun so I'd have been fine even if he'd have shot at me, but I didn't know it at the time. And TBH I still can't guarantee my rounds wouldn't have hit his wife/kid who were behind him and slightly to the side at that point.
View Quote

I have four friends from a neighboring dept that occasionally have to pop birdshot out of their arms, upper back, neck, side of the face, like zits because a gang banger opened up on them from across the street at a large party/fight. Bad guy hit four of them with with three blasts of birdshot.  All four of them are lucky to be alive (and they will tell u that). Dont ever discount a bad guys round. A .22 will kill you just as dead as a .44mag will.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top