Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 1:24:47 AM EDT
The department I work at issued M&P40's last year and we are experiencing a number of issues.

Of the first 28 guns we received, the triggers seized up on 3 within 60rnds.   They were directly exchanged by S&W and we never heard any more of them.

There are a hand full that won't lock open on an empty magazine,   two that won't reliably strip the first round from a topped-off magazine (rounds "nose dive").

Of those that do lock open, approximately 1/2 release the slide automatically when a fresh magazine is inserted- even if it's not inserted vigorously.  When this happens, a round is chambered approx. 60% of the time. The other times it does not, and leaves the chamber empty.    

We have contacted S&W about this slide release issue, and have been informed  that S&W are "aware" of it and although it is a known malfunction/defect of the model, S&W does not know what to do to correct it, thus, S&W refers to the condition as "Auto Forward".

Even some of our Aux. Officers who bought their own guns long before it was issued are having the same problems.  

Anyone Else?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't say that's surprising to me, as I've read online of many with similar issues. S&W just seems to have poor QC. I've worked on a couple in private hands at a gunshop in Lafayette. They are not common at all in LE in the south, due both to Glock's popularity, problems like you describe, and their not-so-awesome triggers.

I would think a gunsmith could fix the "auto forward" situation in each individual pistol, if you want to go that route. I had a Polish TT33 that liked to do the exact same thing, until I played with the engagement angles on both the slide stop and slide notch for it, and roughened up the surface of the notch also.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate mine, 40sw no side safety. The trigger is a joke, very light for a duty weapon in my opinion, cannot feel the reset at all, the slide is very loose and can be opened about 3/4 of the way just with my thumb and pinky finger. The slide will drop when I inset a magazine. I kind of like that and kind of don't. I haven't tried lightly inserting the magazine, I always slam it home.

We are switching to Glock 22s any day now thankfully. Just waiting on them to arrive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
NCSHP has switched to the Sig P226 in .357 Sig away from the M&P .357 Sig.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been selling M&P's for a while, haven't had any returns/issues.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
We issued almost 2,000 of them in .40 in a three month period.   No issues that were not caused  by  an officer playing amateur gunsmith.  DID have an issue with the Trijicon sights, but  that was not S&W's fault.  

Our scores increased across the board with the new gun.

The auto-load deal is about 50-50.  Some like it, some don't.

I bought mine, at two years old it's sitting  right at 10K rounds with no mods and not the slightest issue.  I compete with it stock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Wyoming Highway Patrol are going back to Glock after about maybe 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Never had any issues with mine. Getting new ones for the department in December, we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NCSHP has switched to the Sig P226 in .357 Sig away from the M&P .357 Sig.
View Quote

Guilford county sheriffs have also had problems with their M&P .45 I think. I'll stick with my sig 229
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't heard of any major issues around here.  Failure to lock open is often a user-induced issue anyways, from finger placement on the slide stop.

Years ago I did have a customer bring in an M&P9C that couldn't live-eject JHPs.  It would shoot them just fine, and hand-cycle FMJs, but the factory failed to fully chamfer the right edge of the chamber, and on certain projectiles with wider ogives (Gold Dot, IIRC), the bullet couldn't rotate past the edge of the barrel under force of the ejector.  S&W replaced the barrel and all was well.

That's about the only real issue I've seen in years...there may have been other problems that cropped up here and there, but they certainly aren't common.  Parts breakage and reliability seem to be on par with Glock, and several major agencies in this area issue M&P40s exclusively.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah we have some trigger problems with ours...I have seen for some reason trigger press goes from normal to 500lb not sure why... armorers end up replacing the triggers all better till next time ....the biggest one was the high cap mags all sucked and malfunctioned we had to turn them all back in for the 10 rounders....Wish we would get something else.....I don't mind the insert mag slide forward... mine always chambers 100% at least.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]
My old department carries the M&P40. They are having issues with the mags dropping while firing. I believe this is a known issue on the earlier ones.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My old department carries the M&P40. They are having issues with the mags dropping while firing. I believe this is a known issue on the earlier ones.
View Quote

I used to have this issue a lot until I changed to a different size backstrap on the grip.  That solved the problem immediately.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
We have also had a ton of the same issues. lots of guys breaking the slide release. just got issued the newest generation with one officer have a seized trigger during quals.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
NCSHP had multiple failures to feed, extract, and or eject. The replacements performed worse than the ones to be replaced. Not to mention a lot of the early ones had to have new slides due to extreme rust and the coating literally falling off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
East Hartford PD in CT went to 45s and had some magazine issues.

Hartford PD switched to MPs, not sure on the caliber, but quickly went to Glock after

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a department but I've had issues with both of mine.

The 9MM has had trigger/striker issues since I bought it new.  The APEX sear kit fixed it for a few months, the it had different issues (went from the trigger not releasing the sear to the sear not resetting sometimes, or light strikes, sometimes.  After months of trying different things, blaming it on primers, the striker spring, the striker sleeve, etc. someone mentioned "sear flutter" and "timing".  I bought a new S&W sear spring and that seemed to correct the sear flutter issue (dead trigger - no marks on the primers) and bending the trigger bar so that it moved the striker block upwards sooner in relation to the sear releasing the striker (timing issue) seems to have corrected those problems.

The .40 S&W was converted to a .357 SIG caliber soon after buying it new with a new S&W .357 SIG barrel from Midway.  It keyholes with most of my reloads (even reloads - plated bullets - that shoot fine in the M31 Glock) so I've given up on it, too and gone to a different brand of handgun.  

My youngest son is delighted to remind me, whenever I complain about the two M&Ps, that I used to swear I'd never buy a S&W semi auto, so therefore I deserve what I got - aggravation/frustration.

Triggers - the 9MM was a 2 finger trigger (literally had to use both trigger fingers to pull the trigger and release the striker the first time I went to the range.  Came home and while cleaning it the trigger stopped releasing the sear completely so I bought an APEX kit (CAEK) and it worked great for a few months before the failure to fire issues (no mark on the firing pin or a light mark on the firing pin) started.

The .40/.357 had a pretty decent trigger right out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#18]
We issue the M&P in 9. The last batch had an issue of the front night sights walking out. Other than that, no issues so far and we've been issuing them for 3 years or so.
NMSP recently ditched the M&P in .357 sig and switched to 9. Heard they had a bunch of problems of slides and frames cracking from the .357.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Hearing all of these stories makes me glad we just got Glock 22 gen 4s instead of M&P's.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Atlanta switched back to Glock very shortly after buying M&P.  

WVSP carries 4566 and now that S&W reportedly will no longer support the 3rd gen guns for parts etc, they have been trying to force them in to the M&P 45 but the eval teams say the trigger is a no go.  

DNR and DOC carry Glock 21.

Regional jails carry M&P 40.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hearing all of these stories makes me glad we just got Glock 22 gen 4s instead of M&P's.
View Quote

They have their problems too.    At least two agencies in Texas  have  passed on them over their  2nd gen Glocks. .  One agency is dumping them for Sigs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NCSHP had multiple failures to feed, extract, and or eject. The replacements performed worse than the ones to be replaced. Not to mention a lot of the early ones had to have new slides due to extreme rust and the coating literally falling off.
View Quote

I remember reading that the route cause for the functional issues was the excessive wear caused by the 357sig round.

I know CMPD uses M&P40's, just got new ones w/ "improved triggers" this year and most guys don't like the new ones.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They have their problems too.    At least two agencies in Texas  have  passed on them over their  2nd gen Glocks. .  One agency is dumping them for Sigs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a couple of our guys have said they aren't getting lock back every time. Between my personal gen 4 and my issued one I haven't had a single issue in maybe 600 rounds between them. I'll be running another 300 or so rounds through it in a class soon, that should be a good test.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know a couple of our guys have said they aren't getting lock back every time. Between my personal gen 4 and my issued one I haven't had a single issue in maybe 600 rounds between them. I'll be running another 300 or so rounds through it in a class soon, that should be a good test.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ugly little secret that no one wants to admit to in the training community  is that  a small number of officers are sabotaging their new guns and claiming manufacturer defects.  Some folks  take that whole cult thing WAY too seriously.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
An ugly little secret that no one wants to admit to in the training community  is that  a small number of officers are sabotaging their new guns and claiming manufacturer defects.  Some folks  take that whole cult thing WAY too seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's a take I haven't heard. Considering we went from Glock 22's to Glock 22's I think it probably isn't the case where I'm at.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they sabotage their duty weapon? I don't like my M&P but I would never sabotage it trying to get a new/different duty pistol
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

S&W is replacing all of Durhams m&p 45s free of cost. Chronic magazine failures and feeding problems, rusting slides, and terrible triggers with no reset.   There's "nothing wrong" with the weapons but they are 6 months behind on delivery due to "production" issues and replacing over 600 weapons can't be cheap.

If the new batch exhibit the same issues then there will be a push towards switching to Glock. Duty weapons not reliably feeding is an issue that is completely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

S&W is replacing all of Durhams m&p 45s free of cost. Chronic magazine failures and feeding problems, rusting slides, and terrible triggers with no reset.   There's "nothing wrong" with the weapons but they are 6 months behind on delivery due to "production" issues and replacing over 600 weapons can't be cheap.

If the new batch exhibit the same issues then there will be a push towards switching to Glock. Duty weapons not reliably feeding is an issue that is completely unacceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

City or County?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]
The two state university PD's in Iowa use 40's.  I have some contact with both and they seem happy.  Iowa State Patrol was one of the first to switch.  There were a few glitches early on (I don't recall what exactly) but haven't heard any complaints since then.  ISU PD is going to swap their 40's for 9's in the next few months; basically because Smith offered to do it for next to nothing.  My personal M&P is an early (2008) 9mm and it works fine.  Accuracy is equal to my Glocks.  The trigger is nothing special but it works.  Been completely reliable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why would they sabotage their duty weapon? I don't like my M&P but I would never sabotage it trying to get a new/different duty pistol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they are stupid?  When the slide stop has plier marks on it  that's pretty much a clue according to  one instructor.   There was so much butthurt esp  from the 1911 guys that the chief had to give his "work here and carry the issued pistol or work somewhere else"  speech.

We switched to a common holster too at the same time.  In some ways that was WORSE.  No one got days off over that but it was a near thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I personally went through two of them (45). First one the trigger got rough and the light rail started sagging so I think the entire lower warped. Then the second one I tried to take it apart to clean it and it would come half way and then the slide got stuck and wouldn't go either way so I said screw it and went with glock.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#33]
My agency has been using M&P45's for about 4 years, with about a 50/50 love/hate status.  

A bunch of our first guns had serious rusting issues on the slides and S&W sent us replacement slides.  The finish on my slide is rapidly wearing off and I have a lot of silver showing.

When we first got them the triggers felt gritty on the pull, like it was rubbing sandpaper but after a few hundred rounds it's gotten better, but the reset is soft.

A few members of the dept have reported that they have NEVER had a trip to the range without a malfunction of some kind, however I have never had a malfunction.

There is a huge push in the dept now to switch us to glocks...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My agency has been using M&P45's for about 4 years, with about a 50/50 love/hate status.  

A bunch of our first guns had serious rusting issues on the slides and S&W sent us replacement slides.  The finish on my slide is rapidly wearing off and I have a lot of silver showing.

When we first got them the triggers felt gritty on the pull, like it was rubbing sandpaper but after a few hundred rounds it's gotten better, but the reset is soft.

A few members of the dept have reported that they have NEVER had a trip to the range without a malfunction of some kind, however I have never had a malfunction.

There is a huge push in the dept now to switch us to glocks...
View Quote

Oh ya. forgot about the rusting slides. Same on most of the guns with us.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread is making me reconsider my plans to buy a no safety 9mm Shield.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This thread is making me reconsider my plans to buy a no safety 9mm Shield.
View Quote

My BUG is a Shield and its been 100%. Great little carry gun. I wish it was in .357 SIG though. (I also will say that my duty weapon was 100% and I bought it when we transitioned to the P226)
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The two state university PD's in Iowa use 40's.  I have some contact with both and they seem happy.  Iowa State Patrol was one of the first to switch.  There were a few glitches early on (I don't recall what exactly) but haven't heard any complaints since then.  ISU PD is going to swap their 40's for 9's in the next few months; basically because Smith offered to do it for next to nothing.  My personal M&P is an early (2008) 9mm and it works fine.  Accuracy is equal to my Glocks.  The trigger is nothing special but it works.  Been completely reliable.
View Quote

it should be noted the round count between agencies that are having success vs those whose weapons are failing. for example, the campus PDs are more than likely not shooting anywhere close to a 600 man dept, so their weapons are probably fine and im sure they are happy.
for example, I have shot ~1k rds per month for the past 5-6 months. but the local campus pd guy I was talking to hasnt shot 1k rds in 2 years...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#38]
While I was qualifying, the rear roll pin on the mp40 that I was given to qualify with kept walking out. Left a bruise. The range instructors also said that they have had a problem with seared slide stops; but people have probably been misusing them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

it should be noted the round count between agencies that are having success vs those whose weapons are failing. for example, the campus PDs are more than likely not shooting anywhere close to a 600 man dept, so their weapons are probably fine and im sure they are happy.
for example, I have shot ~1k rds per month for the past 5-6 months. but the local campus pd guy I was talking to hasnt shot 1k rds in 2 years...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours qual four times a year.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does not change the fact lots of competitors use the M&P in stock form and shoot the hell out of them with no issues.  (myself included)
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Does not change the fact lots of competitors use the M&P in stock form and shoot the hell out of them with no issues.  (myself included)
View Quote

Is your 9 or 40? Standard or Pro/Core?

OEM trigger components?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OEM trigger components?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OEM trigger components?

Standard .40, just as it came out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OEM trigger components?

Ive considered picking up the full sized .40 and the 9mm no safety shield several times but keep talking myself out of it especially after shooting my fathers MP9C which has a horrible spongy trigger reset.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#44]
We have a (mostly) positive experience with our M&P45's. We've had them for two years now; upgraded from Glock 23's. No problems now, but when we got them, we had to have everyone cycle 30 rounds of our duty ammo. There were a few that wouldn't cycle the ammo (Win. Ranger +P).

The gritty trigger is defenitly present in mine, but it shoots great.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is that, 200 rds a year??
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problem with the M&P, and plan on buying one as my next pistol purchase. but issues are obviously coming up when issued en masse...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a bit of history with them also.

I am a firearms instructor for a midsized (for my area anyway) sheriff's office.  We carry SIG and Glock but all of our firearms instructors assist with NC DOC firearms training which is held on our range weekly.  NC DOC went with the M&P40 a few years ago (2007?) after having some well used S&W revolvers come apart during firing.  Many of the new guns were FREE from S&W to keep DOC "quiet"  about the revolvers (okay that part is my OPINION but one that many share).  At any rate I am not aware of any trials or competitions.  Raleigh=S&W.  Period.

Many of them were traded GUN FOR GUN for 20 year old revolvers.  

Anyway, almost immediately the most commonly stated problems were evident: mags falling out during strings of fire (causing instructors to tell students they were gripping it "too tightly" (!) or always claiming they had their finger on the mag release; slides going forward when the magazine was inserted...causing instructors to tell officers they should just push it lightly until it "just until it clicked" (how lightly they would do this in a gunfight is unknown); etc.  Also the triggers are about useless for anybody advanced enough to know and shoot from  "trigger reset."  

I *think* they replaced the mag release springs with a heavier one which helped the mags dropping, but I agree with with an earlier poster that we still see TOO MANY slides going forward unintentionally.  It could be lived with IF IT WAS RELIABLY PICKING UP THE ROUND but it doesn't...causing the shooter to have to use the HANDY inspection hole.

I wouldn't buy one from watching 1200 or so rounds a month I see being fired through 15 different guns every month.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#48]
9/10 times the slide automatically rides home by itself when inserting a new mag.  Trigger sucks.  For these reasons alone, I can't stand the M&P.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Just amazes me that there are still people defending MP's and there are still agencies putting their people into harm's way with them.
As a CCW or home defense pistol fine, but they really don't belong in a LEO holster anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Cincinnati PD and Hamilton County Sheriff both with no problems. Both large 800+ officer agencies.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top