Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 7:36:22 PM EDT
I got picked up by a PD after about a year of applying throughout my area. I start the academy this Monday 9/29, 12 weeks long and it's a commuter academy. Anyone have advice or good sources for gear, my dept only requires basket weave style but everything else is my own preference.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations! I can't help on police gear because I was smart enough to be a fireman. (JK) my brother in law is LE and we go back and forth with the jokes. I'll ask him for recommendations.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Only 12 weeks?  Mine was 22 a hundred years ago when I went through and it's 27 now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
12 weeks isn't uncommon in southern states.  Mine was 16 weeks, but the basic APOSTC academy in AL. is only 12 weeks (480 hours).

ETA:  I prefer Safariland basketweave.  Looks the best IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Believe it or not you can actually find wicked deal son used gear right here on ARFCOM.

Check the EE on a regular basis...

I have purchased gear from ecops, lapolicegear, chiefsupply, opticsplanet, and amazon....

Check ebay too, got my last duty belt (belt only) Safariland basket weave for 4 bucks BNIB.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are killing me with the steals on duty gear, I went out today and bought everything with the police chief. $468. I'm still able to pocket quite a bit though with my uniform allowance. My academy starts in less than 5 days so I huess I would rather have it now than wait for it to come in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Check eBay. I've seen Safariland holsters for $20.00.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 ebay

I got a Safariland Raptor for my P226 NIB for like $40. Mag pouches (doubles) $15 ea. Baton holder, cuff pouches, belt keepers ($10 set/4). All ebay. I rock plain leather with no exposed snaps. My belt is a discontinued UM synthetic plain leather and my glove pouch is Boston Leather. Everything else is Safariland. Love it!

I really love this Gear Keeper key retractor. I wear it directly over my left pocket. It has only a door key for my unit and Zak Tool cuff key on it. It doesn't really make noise unless I run, but I can tuck the keys into the pocket and it's completely silent. I cannot drop a key or lock myself out of the car. On calls, I bail from the seat while locking doors. (Additional ignition key always stays in ignition). Quick response time, both entering car and 10-97.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Ebay. I'm a fan of the Safariland 6360 holster and their velcro backed duty belts. No more keepers digging into my back/hips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top