Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2014 11:57:04 AM EDT
I'm in the process with a few local PDs, and I just got told I'll be coming in for a polygraph soon, which is one of the final pieces in the process.

I'm super nervous, but I have NOTHING to hide.........I have a squeaky clean background, and I told them so much in my background interview, that it even made me feel uncomfortable, but I told them anyway, as I truly want to be a police officer, and have nothing to hide.....hell, I even told them about when I stole $10 from my parents when I was 15, and got the living shit kicked out of me by my dad for it.

I'm REALLY nervous about the polygraph, because I'm afraid I'll be nervous and fail it. My aunt worked for the NSA, and failed her first poly, because she was nervous, which in turn, is freaking me out now, because of her story.

Any tips? Do the investigators and poly examiners take into account, the fact that you're nervous?

I have no experience with a poly whatsoever, even though I had a TS-SCI clearance in the MIL, I never did the poly portion, so this is all new to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
R-E-L-A-X...you are psyching yourself out.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Even if you are somewhat nervous, you'll probably be OK:  they are looking for changes in bio patterns when you lie; no lie = no change.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't lie.  You won't enjoy it and that's normal.  Just relax and stop stressing about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You will be questioned about your answers to "certain questions" (drug use, criminal involvement) in a manner that will make you feel the operator thinks you're lying... that's all part of the process to flush out a confession to possible untruthful answers... don't let that stress you out... relax, realize it's just a process, and answer the questions truthfully and consistently. He/she may look "concerned" and ask you... "when you answered no to the questions about (fill in the blank), what were you thinking"?  That's just a ploy to make you panic... just go with the flow.

That shit's VOODOO science anyway...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will be questioned about your answers to "certain questions" (drug use, criminal involvement) in a manner that will make you feel the operator thinks you're lying... that's all part of the process to flush out a confession to possible untruthful answers... don't let that stress you out... relax, realize it's just a process, and answer the questions truthfully and consistently. He/she may look "concerned" and ask you... "when you answered no to the questions about (fill in the blank), what were you thinking"?  That's just a ploy to make you panic... just go with the flow.

That shit's VOODOO science anyway...
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It's nothing but a mindfucking game.  Be honest and consistent.  When the examiner asks if there could possibly be anything else, do say "weeellllll that was 15 years ago, I might have smoked weed 7 times rather than 3, I don't remember."  They are trying to get you to break.  A machine can't tell if you're lying or not.  Your heart rate increases and the examiner exploits the reading.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
He means don't say... Don't.

"What were you thinking?..."
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent. Thanks for ya'lls advice...I'm just freaking out about it, as this is pretty much the last hurdle that stands between me, and getting hired....yea, I have nothing to hide, but I've heard horror stories and such, so I just want to make sure everything is put out there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Just remember that the polygraph is nothing but a mind game.  All it is good for is getting people who are lying to panic and tell the truth.  In no way does the machine reliably reveal whether or not anyone is telling the truth.

Many liars have passed them.  Many people telling the truth have been failed.  It is entirely subjective and up to the examiner.  I can't believe that this junk is still being used for hiring.

Go in, tell the truth, don't worry about it, and don't second guess yourself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick with your answers. They tester will try to sweat and grill you to change your answers and thereby declare you are not trustworthy. There is a reason polygraphs are not admissible in court.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll probably do better than me...
I told God's honest truth (mostly on questions regarding lying, ironically) on a primarily fill-in-the-bubble computer hiring questionnaire. HR then proceeded to bring my moral integrity into the spotlight, calling my friends, neighbors, everyone listed on my application, etc. I was not aware of any of this; I found out later. They still let me be the po-lice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Relax. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm in the process with a few local PDs, and I just got told I'll be coming in for a polygraph soon, which is one of the final pieces in the process.

I'm super nervous, but I have NOTHING to hide.........I have a squeaky clean background, and I told them so much in my background interview, that it even made me feel uncomfortable, but I told them anyway, as I truly want to be a police officer, and have nothing to hide.....hell, I even told them about when I stole $10 from my parents when I was 15, and got the living shit kicked out of me by my dad for it.

I'm REALLY nervous about the polygraph, because I'm afraid I'll be nervous and fail it. My aunt worked for the NSA, and failed her first poly, because she was nervous, which in turn, is freaking me out now, because of her story.

Any tips? Do the investigators and poly examiners take into account, the fact that you're nervous?

I have no experience with a poly whatsoever, even though I had a TS-SCI clearance in the MIL, I never did the poly portion, so this is all new to me.
View Quote

ummmm tell the truth ...

.... or place a thumb tack(s) pointy side up in the bottom of your shoe facing and placed towards the softest part of your foot and step down fervently, briskly, and with strong conviction when you lie
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ummmm tell the truth ...

.... or place a thumb tack(s) pointy side up in the bottom of your shoe facing and placed towards the softest part of your foot and step down fervently, briskly, and with strong conviction when you lie

View Quote
Legit advice.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Just relax.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ummmm tell the truth ...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummmm tell the truth ...

I had to take my shoes and socks off before I did my test. OP, this will be the most mentally stressful thing you've probably ever done. You will walk out of there feeling like the worst person in the world. It's all a mindfuck, just stick to your answers. They tried all kinds of interrogation tactics on me, and I had nothing to hide. If ther person doing the test is good, they should be able to "tell" what is nerves and what is "deception." Let us know how you do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He means don't say... Don't.
"What were you thinking?..."
View Quote

THIS!  My bad.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely the WORST "interview" (that's what THEY call it) I have EVER been through.

SUDO bullshit, voodoo non admissible garbage.

Keep your cool.

Its a freakin machine, and the "examiner" is paid to try and fuck you.

Breathe.

They WILL try to snag you, and repeat questions simply trying to elicit some other form of physiological response.

again...

RELAX.

And remember, they cannot eat you bro.

For further reading, check this out...

The Lie Behind the Lie Detector
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#18]
We shall see how it goes. I told them everything I could think of when I did my background interview.

I mean, I felt dirty as hell coming out of there, just after the background interview.

I'm SO damn close to getting hired, and this is my last hurdle to get thru....I just gotta get thru this.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I was nervous as hell, but just be honest no matter what. My examiner was prior .mil with deployments, so after we were done we shot the shit for a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Absolutely the WORST "interview" (that's what THEY call it) I have EVER been through.

Keep your cool.

Breathe.

They WILL try to snag you, and repeat questions simply trying to elicit some other form of physiological response.

again...

RELAX.

View Quote

There are agencies that will ask about that website and others like it and will lifetime DQ you if you read it.  No shit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are agencies that will ask about that website and others like it and will lifetime DQ you if you read it.  No shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep your cool.

Breathe.

again...

RELAX.

I figured it wasn't a good idea to be researching polygraph stuff, so I didn't click on the link, as I figured they'd ask about stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#22]
You're really over-thinking this.

That's coming from a guy who over-thinks things...
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#23]
i know its easy for me to say...

but just relax. i have done three, and told the truth on each one, and its just a mind game. hang in there and good luck
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:31:39 AM EDT
[#24]
There are some inaccurate comments in this thread so be careful what advise you take.  

Lie detection instruments do work.  How much useful information they provide is up to the examiner and the examiner's skills.  A good interviewer will be able to extract more information from you during the interview than the actual exam.  The exam should end up only confirming what was found out on the interview if done correctly.  

Remember this, lots of cops are hired nationwide every year and lots of them pass polygraphs/voice stress exams.  As a matter of fact, MOST do pass.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I've never taken a polygraph, but I had to take a VSA before being hired by my first Sheriff's Office.  It was pretty straight forward and my examiner wasn't to trip me up.

Just relax and take it one question at a time.  Once you get hired you'll look back at this and laugh.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Just passed my poly for the process I am in right now.

Everything that's been said is true. I was nervous just like you described on my first poly with a different agency and I didn't pass. (The person administering the test was kind of an ass and I hear they are considering changing services, so that didn't help)

Don't over think it, try and relax.

It won't be very fun but it also won't last forever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Just finished mine and am waiting for the results. I was pretty nervous but had nothing to hide. Now you guys have me worried because I was fairly nervous.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I kept getting asked the most broad questions in the world, In the last 10 years have you done anything dishonest. I'm 25, of course I have but nothing exactly could come to mind so I said no. I passed.

I just strictly focused on my breathing and walked out thinking it was one of the most useless tests.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't speak for all departments but my department had a guy who tried everything to tick me off. During the interview prior to test he tried everything to trip me up. Asked the same questions over and over and just rephrased. IE did you ever smoke weed? When you smoked weed did you like it? Hoe much weed would you say you ever smoked at one time? How did weed make you feel? Common really? Felt like saying answered I have never tried weed nor any other illegal substance move on but knew I had to mind my P's and Q's. Just remember if there are any "skeletons" in your closet its better to admit them and let the department decide weather they will accept it and hire you then to lie. If you lie, showing a response of "deception or trying to use counter measures will surely cause you not to be hired. Truth is I knew guys who lied and passed and guys who told the truth and failed. Stay calm and don't think about the questions to long. The interviewer should go over what to expect and all questions before the test. Remember them and make up your mind "absolutely" what the answer is and then stick to that answer. If you dwell on it you can possibly show deception. GL
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I kept getting asked the most broad questions in the world, In the last 10 years have you done anything dishonest. I'm 25, of course I have but nothing exactly could come to mind so I said no. I passed.

I just strictly focused on my breathing and walked out thinking it was one of the most useless tests.
View Quote

I got told to quit controlling my breathing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Also keep in mind that on a statistical basis, if you go and take ten polygraph examinations from ten different examiners, you're probably going to fail at least a couple of them, regardless of whether you're lying or hiding anything.  It just happens.  Nerves, bad examiner, or psyching yourself out.  Don't let it get to you if it does occur.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks again for the info.

Here's hoping I pass this thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#33]
You're gonna be ok brother. Just take a deep breath. You got this
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any update OP?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Having taking a polygraph and lied on it, and passed it, I would say don't' sweat it.

(asked if I had ever stolen anything EVER and I said no).  

Yes as a teen I purloined a few items for the thrill of it.

Job was working in a stereo shop imagine that!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#36]
It's okay to be nervous. The key is to be consistently nervous.  If you answer all the questions truthfully to your best knowledge, and stay nervous consistently through it all, the machine does the same shit.

I've passed three of them. Never had any real issues or any real questions.

Oh and by the way, you know exactly what they are going to ask you up front. No real surprises.  You go over the questions first.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Any update OP?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any update OP?

I go in for my Poly next Wednesday.

To everyone - thanks for the thoughts, and words of encouragement, and giving me an idea of what to expect.

I'll let ya'll know how it went.

I'm nervous about the poly, as its pretty much my last hurdle to overcome before getting hired.......I want to pursue a LEO career a LOT.....its something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and now that I'm out of the Army, I can now pursue it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Just be honest! That's it. They will ask you questions that you pretty much answered already in your application, so if you were honest on the application then it's all good.  ( that's how it was for me, no idea what that agency might do)

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Going in tomorrow at 0830 for the poly.

Got my suit laid out, my shoes polished, and my mind as clear as I can get it.

I'll let ya'll know how it went.

I feel as if LE is my calling.......we'll see.

Thanks for everything guys! Stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Just like the fear of death is worse than death itself, the fear of the polygraph is worse than the polygraph itself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, that was probably the most nerve-racking thing I've ever experience in my life.....but I passed.

My polygraph showed "No deception indicated".

Now, its up to the Civil Service Commission, and the Chief, as to whether or not I get hired.

I figure its out of my hands now. If I'm meant to be a police officer, it'll happen.

I'm still not giving up. I want to be a police officer. It's my calling.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#42]
What if you have used drugs before? I mean I went to college, it isn't exactly a secret what goes on there. I would never lie on the poly but is it an auto dq?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just like the fear of death is worse than death itself, the fear of the polygraph is worse than the polygraph itself.
View Quote

???? have you died before?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever heard of an expression?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Never heard of a department DQ'ing someone for being proactive in the research department but I guess it is possible these days.

Polygraph is a GREAT investigative tool, because of the "psych" factor. Have used it several times and the results (not the actual poly) but the follow up interview was a straight forward confession nearly every time.

Personally I do not think it should be used in conjunction with the hiring process.

There is a REAL reason why it IS NOT admissible in court.

We have a judge who will not even hear a testimony that relates to poly. Go figure.

Like everyone has said before, relax, breathe and be honest.

(This coming from a guy who has been on both sides of the machine and was once told I was lying about my own name!)

After the poly, go check out that link. Its mind boggling brother.

Good luck today. Realized that you already took the "test" and "passed" sorry!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Congrats OP, and good luck!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Tighten your sphincter every time you answer from the get go.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I was a certified CVSA operator for about 4 years doing mostly hiring process interviews.   It's all designed to make you so nervous and worried that you start to disclose things you didn't on your application and get you to trip up.   The main part of the CVSA certification course was basic interview and body language skills.....the CVSA is like taking a car battery and jumper cables and putting them under your nuts to get you to confess to something you didn't do or didn't disclose.

After reading and conducting my own research into CVSA and it's "technology" I chose to let my cert lapse I believe it's absolute garbage.........
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was a certified CVSA operator for about 4 years doing mostly hiring process interviews.   It's all designed to make you so nervous and worried that you start to disclose things you didn't on your application and get you to trip up.   The main part of the CVSA certification course was basic interview and body language skills.....the CVSA is like taking a car battery and jumper cables and putting them under your nuts to get you to confess to something you didn't do or didn't disclose.

After reading and conducting my own research into CVSA and it's "technology" I chose to let my cert lapse I believe it's absolute garbage.........
View Quote

Ditto.....voodoo science....
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
How did you not do the poly and have a TS-SCI clearance?

I was hooked up, seemed like hours, being grilled over and over for mine.

I was a 98K10 and going overseas if it made a difference.

If you are naturally nervous, it will come back as inconclusive.

If they have enough in the applicant pool with good readings, you can be skipped over for a slot.

Also depends on the dept willing to pay for another poly on you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top