Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 6:17:16 PM EDT
I just got on with a paid fire department and I am looking for recommendations for some station/duty boots.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your budget? I recommend Southwest or Pro Warringtons. I prefer the square toe and they have served me well. Make sure you get something that holds a shine
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Warrington Pro's- for sure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your budget? I recommend Southwest or Pro Warringtons. I prefer the square toe and they have served me well. Make sure you get something that holds a shine
View Quote

$100-$200
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I like redbacks for my slip ons around the station. Get the made in AUS ones with the red tags, not the made in China ones with blue.

For wildland/extrication/messy EMS I wear Haix Airpower. They are a little pricey, but they will replace the upper once and the lower once, so they are 2 boots for the price of one.

Before you buy any, find out what your department issues and/or requires in a boot. My rookie just showed up in $300 boots that he isn't allowed to wear on duty. Stupid hurts.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
About every 2 years I buy a pair of 6" Magnum side zip boots with the composite toe. On my 3rd pair now and have used some others previously and haven't been let down by them, they do what I expect.

However, as soon as Under Armour makes their side zip boots in a wide size I'm going to them. I have the non zippered ones for SWAT use and they feel like running shoes. Only down side is mine aren't waterproof.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been kicking around in Bates 8" Ultralight side-zips for several years now. About $85 at Dick's, I get about a year of daily wear out of them before retiring to "yard duty".
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Between Bates, Danner and Rocky I have had the best luck with the Rocky brand boots holding up and looking nice.

The Bates have been the most comfortable in hot weather.

One department I worked part time at required Red Wings and I was totally unimpressed considering the reputation they have and the cost of buying them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
For wearing around the station and running around town just get what ever is most comfortable and looks good to you.  I've tried several over the years end up going back to these Rocky pull on Wellington's.

Now for my bunker boots I love my slip on Warrington Pro's and will buy another pair when these wear out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info so far. Does anyone make a station boot that zips on both sides? I feel like I've seen them before, but I'm having no luck finding any.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why do you want a double zip boot? I have never seen one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info so far. Does anyone make a station boot that zips on both sides? I feel like I've seen them before, but I'm having no luck finding any.

Why do you want a double zip boot? I have never seen one.

This

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have done red wings (original issued boots), redbacks pretty good boot, haix (hated 'em), and warrington pros (love em). I would buy the warrington pro's again. I have had them 3 years and still in good shape, I have changed insoles several times. Plus you can make them mirrors if you need to.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have tried many different types(Danner, Bates, Converse) and keep going back to Rocky Paraboots 10". Current pair is 4-5yo. I put the front zip on. They are about ready for replacement and have been worn 4-5 days a week. I use them for my FT and PT fire depts as station/ duty boots. I would say they are the most common type worn around this area. As long as they don't lose quality I can see myself continuing to wear this type till I retire.

Structural FF boots I am a Warrington Pro guy hands down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Do not cheap out on shoes EVER.

Buy quality, Danner, Pro-Warrington, Haix, come to mind first.

Rocky's are real comfortable, but lacked the support after just a few months, then I started to have feet problems that turned into back problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had a bunch of different station boot over the years.  I typically buy good boots; because my feet hate me if I don't.

Started with Rocky boot way back when.  Didn't last too long and no zippers.

The Red Wing 4473's with the lace zippers; worked pretty well but the have an inside style sole and they're not good for snow and ice.  I did buy 2 pairs of them and they lasted a long time; long enough to get resoled.  They would last 2-3 years, each pair.

Next I tried the Danner Acadia's.  The sole was a little thin for me.  Good boots though; they got retired to work boots. Regular lace ups; no zip.

After those, I got a pair of Haix Air Powers.  Fit well with a thicker sole.  Can't polish the toe due to the rubber cap.  Came with a decent lace zipper that worked well and didn't break.  Lasted 2+ years.

Then I tried finding another pair of the Air Powers.  At the time, I couldn't, so I bought a different style of Haix that I thought would be similar.  Fit was different and never felt right.  

Throgood's were next on the list; I can't remember the model/style.  Still have the lace zippers.  Good tread on the soles, solid construction.  They're good boots, but a little too tall for me.  

And currently wearing Keen slip ons.  Very comfortable, decent soles. Very easy on and off.

A couple different options I've had over the years.  I do like the zipper over the laces instead of along the side.  If that zipper breaks; they can always be tied; if the side zipper breaks you might have to throw out the boots.  Most of them were steel toe or composite toe.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Spammer

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Spammer
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#20]
For the guys who recommended the Redback slip on boots, did you wear them only around the station or also out on the street?

I do strictly EMS, looking for something I can switch into at night for when I roll out of the rack at oh dark thirty and just slip on and go.  Plus looking for something I can have as a backup to wear out on calls in case my regular duty boots ever get ruined/grossly contaminated on a call somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For the guys who recommended the Redback slip on boots, did you wear them only around the station or also out on the street?

I do strictly EMS, looking for something I can switch into at night for when I roll out of the rack at oh dark thirty and just slip on and go.  Plus looking for something I can have as a backup to wear out on calls in case my regular duty boots ever get ruined/grossly contaminated on a call somewhere.
View Quote

Mine have safety toe and a shank, so I wear them everywhere. I'll switch to a lace up tech rescue boot as appropriate, but for EMS runs the redbacks do the job.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top