Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 2:17:09 PM EDT
First off, a bit about myself:
I'm 21 years old, an MSIII in my schools Army ROTC program, and a Mechanical Engineering student (senior in the program), and 185 at 5' 8" (10-11%bf last i was dunked).

With the track that I am on, I will commission in May 2016  as a 2LT (either active, reserve, or ARNG). I am planning on active duty, but have put some thought into reserve/ARNG as well.

Is it possible to be ARNG/reserve as well as LEO? If so, what are your opinions on the matter?

Otherwise, I would love to hear anything you have to say on the matter--anything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you planning on staying in WA?  What part of the state are you thinking?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
what are your opinions on the matter?
View Quote

My opinion is that you use your degree to make money and if you want to, then play LEO (reserve) on the side. That or be a Firefighter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I know tons of guys who are reservists in my department. It works out well for them, although without proper planning it can lead to the detail being short staffed but that's not their fault. If you get a good gig as a LEO and like the work you should do it, if you decide you dont like it you can always go active on your contract.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The LE industry is changing, and very quickly. In the past 5 years alone there have been a bunch of changes that tie our hands.  

I'm not sure the reward is worth the risk anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The LE industry is changing, and very quickly. In the past 5 years alone there have been a bunch of changes that tie our hands.  

I'm not sure the reward is worth the risk anymore.
View Quote

Yep... all of us are one call away from making national news...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not sure where I would want to be--I am not opposed to moving elsewhere, I've had enough of the city. I am in the Lynnwood area, but do not want to be apart of Seattle PD. Please do not take offense to this if you are apart of it--I have utmost respect for those in SPD--I say this only because I have read of the ridiculous policy changes they have been forced to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My opinion is that you use your degree to make money and if you want to, then play LEO (reserve) on the side. That or be a Firefighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what are your opinions on the matter?

Exactly!!!  Especially with the climate in this country I'd recommend a different career path.  If I didn't have 18 years in this career field I'd find something else to do.  At 21 I think you should pursue developing some more life experience, and develop more experience in dealing with people in a customer service setting.  That is something that younger applicants seem to be lacking, which becomes apparent on panel interviews.  If you are looking for a career where folks appreciate you then become a Firefighter!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The retirement systems in LEO jobs is changing for the worse.  25/48 has become 30/53.  The culture of policing has changed.  I would recommend being a fireman instead of entering policing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The retirement systems in LEO jobs is changing for the worse.  25/48 has become 30/53.
View Quote

Depends on the area. It's 22 years on the city PD here and 20 years on the county PD. Tons of guys retire in their early 40s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]
It's possible, I just retired from the USAR with just over 20 years, and currently a LEO for the past 26 years.

The key thing...a department that will support you being in the ARNG/USAR, some departments are better than others.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The job has changed dramatically. Whether it's the public or coworkers attitudes are very different.   Depending on the PD, standards are lowered for hiring and mgmt wonder where they went wrong when it comes to bite them in the ass.   Besides, EVERYONE loves a fireman.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am not sure where I would want to be--I am not opposed to moving elsewhere, I've had enough of the city. I am in the Lynnwood area, but do not want to be apart of Seattle PD. Please do not take offense to this if you are apart of it--I have utmost respect for those in SPD--I say this only because I have read of the ridiculous policy changes they have been forced to deal with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not SPD...enough said there.  Feel free to send me a PM if you have any WA specific questions, Im sure I can give you an unbiased look into what this career really is, and ignite your desire to be a fireman!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
They aren't lying. On average everyone is happy when my big red truck shows up. And you could always go fire Marshall. Best of both worlds. All the fun of fires with all the power of a cop. I should really go take 1031 and 1033. Either way, good luck.

Just to open your eyes to it (and my brother is a cop fwiw), go look at GD threads about cops. Conservatives are constantly hating cops in there. They hate on firefighters too, but just because we cost them money not that they hate us. They actually irrationally hate cops. It's truly scary.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They aren't lying. On average everyone is happy when my big red truck shows up. And you could always go fire Marshall. Best of both worlds. All the fun of fires with all the power of a cop. I should really go take 1031 and 1033. Either way, good luck.

Just to open your eyes to it (and my brother is a cop fwiw), go look at GD threads about cops. Conservatives are constantly hating cops in there. They hate on firefighters too, but just because we cost them money not that they hate us. They actually irrationally hate cops. It's truly scary.
View Quote

This does concern me. I honestly do not understand it. I've interacted with some jackass cops, but most of the time they've been helpful and they've helped when needed.

I have a lot of thinking to do, I suppose.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

True that. Also it all depends on what you wanna deal with as well.I'd rather be shot at ANY day then go in a burning building. Been there done that for both of them. I guess since I've no training/experience for the fire portion it was more unknown/scarier.  I know fire guys who love putting out a fire but if it comes to dealing with someone armed with a gun or a knife they are like F that I'm out.

As for the GD's opinion of cops/firefighters its probably a good representation of the type of people who hang out there. To put it nicely I'd say its probably closely related to their social economic status.

Quoted:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']
Quoted:

This does concern me. I honestly do not understand it. I've interacted with some jackass cops, but most of the time they've been helpful and they've helped when needed.

I have a lot of thinking to do, I suppose.

If you can get a degree in engineering I'd say become an engineer and become a reserve firefighter or police officer if your into that. Lots of places have reserve programs where you can get training/equipment and you only have to work like 8-12hr a month in turn. And that 8-12hr a month will seem fun because you'll be doing cool stuff. Go on a few ride alongs if possible to see if your interested in the LE portion.

As for jackass cops yeah some people turn into dicks. You deal with criminals, drug addicts, alcoholics/drunks, mentally ill people, etc. for hours on end every day and after awhile you kind of get an attitude if you can't handle it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
If I was in your position, I would go active and do your career that way.  You can still do a career in Law Enforcement afterwards.  Plenty of guys go through the academy in their 40's.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top