Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2015 5:11:39 PM EDT
My wife's doctor has suggested a mammogram, saying it is mandated by her insurance. She has a history of getting very badly bruised boobs from the procedure... last time she was black and blue for six months. She also has a history of stroke.

She's trying to see if anyone can give  her an ultrasound procedure instead. They all cost way more than we are able to pay.

Is there any alternative to the standard mammogram that we are unaware of?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I do an ultrasound   lot less intrusive.  those mammogram feels like a car driving over your breast.  a man had to invent that fucking thing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do an ultrasound   lot less intrusive.  those mammogram feels like a car driving over your breast.  a man had to invent that fucking thing.
View Quote

Yeah, she thinks that men's examinations should be performed by the same machine... THAT would get some changes made! Listening to her describe the procedure makes me wince.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried appealing to the insurance company for an exception to do the ultrasound instead due to medical need? Bruising for 6 months might get you that exception.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you tried appealing to the insurance company for an exception to do the ultrasound instead due to medical need? Bruising for 6 months might get you that exception.

Good luck.
View Quote

Yes, she's tried that. And having had a stroke, I would think that she's even more eligible; the fact that she's bruising so bad is evidence that there are blood clots forming.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, she's tried that. And having had a stroke, I would think that she's even more eligible; the fact that she's bruising so bad is evidence that there are blood clots forming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

That surprises me.

Have you tried the state's insurance commissioner's office. Perhaps they can force the insurance company to justify their position or pay up? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That surprises me.

Have you tried the state's insurance commissioner's office. Perhaps they can force the insurance company to justify their position or pay up? Just a thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

That surprises me.

Great idea! She's going to do that first thing Monday morning. Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great idea! She's going to do that first thing Monday morning. Thanks for the suggestion!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.
That surprises me.

Sorry for being so long to follow-up.
She continued to appeal the ruling and finally got an ultrasound performed. She came out of it OK.
Thanks to all for your input! ARFCOM women rock!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry for being so long to follow-up.
She continued to appeal the ruling and finally got an ultrasound performed. She came out of it OK.
Thanks to all for your input! ARFCOM women rock!
View Quote
I'm glad that it all worked out.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm a guy that sits in the waiting room while my Wife undergoes this procedure each year. Just trying to be helpful.

Where my Wife goes, they've converted to only doing 3D mammograms now from what she tells me. Haven't asked if the process is any different/less painful and she's at work right now, so I can't ask.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, the women have a saying: If men's testicle exams were performed like a woman's mammogram, we'd have MUCH better technology!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top