Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2014 7:20:55 PM EDT
Mrs. DJ is extremely frustrated at finding correct-fitting bras.

She's currently wearing a VS 34D with the horizontal strap as tight as it will go. What she thinks she really needs is a 32DD, but a) they don't carry that size in the store, and b) anything in a DD is usually an underwire (which she hates and complains poke her in the ribs).

She says if she could modify the current bra, she'd take material out from between the cups to shrink it to a 32, versus shortening the straps.

Anyone willing to offer stores, styles or sizing suggestions we could try?

Help me Obi-Wan Boobie, you're my only hope.

ETA - spelling & grammar
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
NVM I thought this was GD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I do know they have a few boutiques in NYC that do custom, made to order bras, as like a bespoke suit for men. You might look into that kind of "set up"...
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually helped my wife find the right bra. By googling how to properly measure yourself. It's been fine for 6 years. Yay me. She thought she was 36C. turns out she was 34D.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has a shoulder replacement and can't put on a regular bra without my help. She went to Soma and they had bras that she said are the best fit she's ever had plus she can put them on without my help.

It was fun while it lasted.

Soma.com has a store finder on it. Scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see it eventually.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do know they have a few boutiques in NYC that do custom, made to order bras, as like a bespoke suit for men. You might look into that kind of "set up"...
View Quote

She would like something she can buy more of without a) custom ordering (if possible) and b) without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
DJ, look to see if there are any small, specialty bra shops in your area, even if you have to drive a ways. I go to one in the Chicago suburbs run by the little old Jewish ladies. They are fantastic! They can even do small alterations.

I see you're in GA. I'm going to assume near Atlanta, but if not, this will give you an idea of what to search for online.

I found this article:

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-lingerie-boutiques-in-atlanta/

Here's the secret: have your lady go and get fitted. Once she knows her size in a specific brand/model, she can then buy them online. I'm rather well-endowed myself and Wacoal bras are all I've worn for something like 15+ years. They're $65 each, but they hold the girls  up comfortably.

ETA: a properly fitted underwire bra is comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DJ, look to see if there are any small, specialty bra shops in your area, even if you have to drive a ways. I go to one in the Chicago suburbs run by the little old Jewish ladies. They are fantastic! They can even do small alterations.

I see you're in GA. I'm going to assume near Atlanta, but if not, this will give you an idea of what to search for online.

I found this article:

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-lingerie-boutiques-in-atlanta/

Here's the secret: have your lady go and get fitted. Once she knows her size in a specific brand/model, she can then buy them online. I'm rather well-endowed myself and Wacoal bras are all I've worn for something like 15+ years. They're $65 each, but they hold the girls  up comfortably.

ETA: a properly fitted underwire bra is comfortable.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips.  We tried Intimacy after her surgery, as we heard they were the best (and their prices seem to indicate they believe the same) - but they proved to be no better after a few hours than the others, and we returned them.

I will do some looking for some shops for her, but she is not the best at communicating effectively and specifically what is bothering her so I sometimes end up translating a bit based on what she's said over time.  I wish we had a friend close by who was similarly shaped that could give her some pointers and maybe go with her, but she's just not a very girly girl / has many girlfriends and up until a year or so ago (pre-surgery) never had this problem.  

I suppose I'm getting practice in advance for my little girl.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't go to VS. They're the Target of lingerie - not much better than Wal-Mart, but people are willing to pay so much more.

Fit the bra band to your band size - the +2/+4 thing is old school and outdated. The hooks are there to tighten as the elastic wears down. Wires digging into her ribs could be indicative of a few things - the cup is too small, which pushes the wire; the band is too tight which changes the angle of the wire; or her rib cage being different than the body type the bra was designed for.

You mentioned surgery changed her bust - is it a safe assumption she has implants then? It changes the question a bit because implants will require cups that are designed different as augmented busts will be different. If that's the case, she might be better served posting a question herself on a forum for women who have had plastic surgery.

edit: and if she ends up being measured at something like a 28G or 30F it's not the end of the world - a lot of women over react when they see such a big letter. It sounds like she feels she needs to go up a cup, as well as down a band size as well, but that means she has to go "up" two cup sizes because of the way bras work.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Balconette bras are the shiznit, fit wise. They've always been my favorite. Check out Dita Von Teese's balconette bras.

I apologize for the immediately resulting boner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top