Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 11:39:05 PM EDT
Hi everyone.

I just have a question for all the women on here. When you go to a shooting range do the men who are up there look
at you like you don't belong? Where I go, I always get looks like I don't belong. Now this being said, I have only ever really
seen two or three other women shooters where I go. But now, when I start shooting they just go back to what they are doing.
I think it surprises them how well I can shoot (thanks to my husband teaching me all the responsibilities of shooting)
Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The range I normally go to is very family friendly, so it isn't unusual to see women and children there.

The pistol range I go to occasionally has some folks that will look askance, but I usually shoot better than they do (lots of newbs up there). Plus I know the owners and most of the employees, so I've got that going for me. None of them talk down to me, and that sort of sets the tone.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't go to ranges because I shoot in my yard but I've experienced that where I train and at the gun counter. The guys I train with don't think twice about me but some of the other trainees do. They usually stop when they see me handling myself well. I've had a few gun counter employees recognize that I've had some training. It made me feel good. It's a male dominated hobby so it's bound to happen but try to ignore it if you can
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a fair number of women at the indoor range I belong to, as well as kids. Several women employees, as well. I'm treated well by the staff. Interestingly, I get more looks from other women than men! Most women I see are with guys. I almost always shoot by myself, unless accompanied by a friend (of either sex) on occasion. The women who give me looks seem amazed that I'm by myself (I've had more than one ask me where my BF/DH was - they seem surprised a woman would enjoy going shooting by herself!), that I've already got my CCL (they see this when I take my holstered EDC off at the firing line), or that I shoot halfway decently/know what I'm doing/haven't shot myself in the eye.

Some men have given me looks, but a raised eyebrow stops them.

With IL having just gotten concealed carry, there are a lot of women learning to shoot. Something like 12-15% of CCL applications are from women.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You are a woman.  Women naturally attract a mans attention.

Now, put a gun in that woman's hand.  Or a few guns.

And she's a good shot?  Yeah, you attract attention.

Or are you the type that gets all gussied up for the range?  Because that's an entirely different conversation.

Honestly, I see women at the range probably every time I'm there.  I shoot at a 'fancy' indoor range in a nice part of town.  If I go to an outdoor range in the sticks...it's more "men only" with their Garands and their ARs and their juiced up .22LRs.  There you are more prone to attracting attention.  But the indoor ranges?  Just another day here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I am a good shot. No I don't get gussied up to go to the range. I go to shoot and practice.
I really wish there were more women when we go. Most of the times that we have went, its been just
me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi ladies.  I'm a new user on this site and just starting to learn how to navigate it.  I came across this thread and found it interesting.  I know that it's not a huge deterrent for experienced women shooters to go to the range when it's mostly men, but I wonder if it is for inexperienced shooters.  Any thoughts on if you think more women would get into shooting if they had more access to women only ranges or at least a ladies day at a local range?  Only one of our ranges up here in Alaska has a ladies night and I'm wondering if it's worth suggesting to the other ranges.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been going to the range by myself since I bought my first handgun last summer. Perhaps it might be an issue for a more timid, shy woman, but that's not an issue I have. I've had other things (some classes - non-shooting - and such) where I was usually the only woman, so being one of a few women at the range doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You really wanna freak out the guys at the range, shoot a Muzzle Loader. I took my girlfriend one time and dug out the ole Thompson .50cal , i loaded it up and had her put the "cap" on and shoot at the 50yard line..the older guys were just looking like it was a big mystery or something. Funny part is. .50cal with 70gr of powder shoots softer than an AR15.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Where we go.. Which is about 4 places locally.. I now and then see other woman shooters.. But to be honest..it seems like no one even recognize I am there.. Except the creep guys.. Some times when we are shooting louder riffles.. well the people look to see what all the noise is about.. But that seems to be all..
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife and daughter got quite a few quizzical looks at Outbreak Omega 6. It was a little puzzling. They both can shoot fairly well so the looks went away quickly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never had any negative issues, I get a fair bit of looks but then I've got a lot of pink gear so that gets looks.  Mostly any "attention" we get is just guys who will come up to us to say he's happy to see women at the range or they see a gun they like and come ask about it.  When I break out the .44 magnum S&W or the .50 Beowulf we attract a LOT of attention LOL.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never noticed negative looks like that when I go to the range.

I get looks - ones that I don't like and do find them negative but that is a whole other thing all together.  

I don't go to the range anymore - desert shooting with a buddy works out better for me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top