Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2016 5:13:36 PM EDT
I'm concerned that there is no official thread for the Great War series on Youtube. I checked here and GD, but this seems to be a more appropriate forum. Does anyone else follow this:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

ETA: They go through the war week by week on the week 100 years after. There are specialty episodes in between which cover specific people/places/things. It'll be over in a few more years
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm about 120 episodes into it.  Very good treatment of the war and its effects on the world.  Indy and crew do a really good job of letting us know what was going on, but as much as they try, it is really hard to get the full impact of what a total disaster this was for the people of Europe. They do a good job of expressing the futility and stupidity of the conflict (can you say: "Conrad Von Hotzendorf"?).  This series is well worth the time and the further you get into it the more episodes they devote to other topics than just what happened this week.  That really makes it interesting.  I hope they do something similar for WWII or even the Civil War.  Highly recommended for those folks with even a passing interest in this pivotal point in western history.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I started watching it last year.  I've been bingeing off and on trying to catch up, I'm currently in March 1916 IIRC.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm about 120 episodes into it.  Very good treatment of the war and its effects on the world.  Indy and crew do a really good job of letting us know what was going on, but as much as they try, it is really hard to get the full impact of what a total disaster this was for the people of Europe. They do a good job of expressing the futility and stupidity of the conflict (can you say: "Conrad Von Hotzendorf"?).  This series is well worth the time and the further you get into it the more episodes they devote to other topics than just what happened this week.  That really makes it interesting.  I hope they do something similar for WWII or even the Civil War.  Highly recommended for those folks with even a passing interest in this pivotal point in western history.
View Quote

The effects of that conflict are still being felt today.

I'm in the camp of this school of thought: If the Germans had been allowed more favorable peace terms, and/or keep the Ottoman Empire intact as a puppet state, then we possibly wouldn't have had the clusterfuck that is the Middle East today.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't aware of that series.  Thanks for the link.  I'll definitely check it out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I just started today.  Looks good and I like the bite sized episode lengths so far.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like the series,  better than anything the history channel has put out in years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top