Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 6:26:36 PM EDT
where was it held? when was it held? what was the music they were playing to entice the leaders? learned this in history and have now forgotten.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I know there were several British initiatives to hold peace meetings during July of 1914, one of them was to be in London, but as far as I remember none of them bore fruit. There was much talk among sides prior to hostilities but very little between them. You must remember that at the time "mobilizing" for war was considered about the same as wheeling out the missiles and bombers today and going to Defcon-ll. Once the nations involved started mobilizing things were set in motion that were almost impossible to stop. Most of all given the War fever and Nationalism in Europe at the time. There was a whole lot of 18yo men with nothing to do and major decisions were made by an elite few who all thought the war would be a short affair that would lend glory to their legacies. It was an age of Empire in Europe, Empire and Nationalism. I dont think anyone understood exactly what modern weaponry would mean to the battlefield.

Even if such a meeting happened I dont think it would have done any good. The Kings of Europe wanted a war and they convinced the people it would all be a glorious adventure.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know there were several British initiatives to hold peace meetings during July of 1914, one of them was to be in London, but as far as I remember none of them bore fruit. There was much talk among sides prior to hostilities but very little between them. You must remember that at the time "mobilizing" for war was considered about the same as wheeling out the missiles and bombers today and going to Defcon-ll. Once the nations involved started mobilizing things were set in motion that were almost impossible to stop. Most of all given the War fever and Nationalism in Europe at the time. There was a whole lot of 18yo men with nothing to do and major decisions were made by an elite few who all thought the war would be a short affair that would lend glory to their legacies. It was an age of Empire in Europe, Empire and Nationalism. I dont think anyone understood exactly what modern weaponry would mean to the battlefield.

Even if such a meeting happened I dont think it would have done any good. The Kings of Europe wanted a war and they convinced the people it would all be a glorious adventure.
View Quote

It did happen and it took place in a church. I remember it from one of my history classes and the professor made special note of a song that was played there. I think it was by Beethoven and I've been clawing at my mind trying to remember the song. It really isn't the meeting I'm after, I'm trying to remember what symphony was played at it. lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top