Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2014 12:27:52 AM EDT
I just read about this battle the other day. What a great history battle, I can't believe they've never made a movie about this.

For those who don't know, Vienna was the bastion of Europe's military might at the time and was the only thing between the Ottoman Turks and overtaking Europe and marching on Rome. The city was almost lost, but the Polish Cavalry saved the day. The Turks had been digging trenches up to the city walls, they dug tunnels under the city and blowing up the fort walls, and it was a matter of hours before another explosion ended the siege and secured victory for the Turks. Crazy story.

Any books I should check out about it?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
An interesting battle, indeed.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Nice map.

I think it funny too, that the troops gathered at 0530 for the battle and King Sobieski decided to hold mass before leaving to the battle field. They didn't get done till almost noon. Crazy times.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a movie on Netflix about this battle.  I think it's called Day of the Siege.  It's ok but not awesome.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
This is where Jan Sobieski and the winged hussars saved the day.

You're right. This would make a great movie.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a movie on Netflix about this battle.  I think it's called Day of the Siege.  It's ok but not awesome.
View Quote

It is fascinating.

Has any cable channel produced a show regarding the battle?

Something more scientific rather than drama?

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is fascinating.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is fascinating.

There's a few youtube videos on the event, they run more to the documentary side. They are short though.

I'm gonna watch that movie this afternoon, while I do my paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The Military History Museum in Vienna has an entire exhibit dedicated to the siege. There are still cannonballs in some buildings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top