Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 11:58:21 PM EDT
My mom brought over her father's medals last night. They're roughly mounted in a shadow box (that he made in the 50s) that shows the wear of 60 or more years moving around the country. She knew I'd want them, so at last I have them.

First thing, I set out to identify them, and after some confusing research I've nailed down all of them, but some have distinctions. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

The complete Medal/Ribbon collection has a European African Middle Eastern Campaign, American Defense Service, Bronze Star, Asiatic Pacific Campaign (with three stars on the ribbon), WWII Victory, USMC Good Conduct (Second Award). Then theres an American Campaign Medal (no ribbon) and a Navy Presidential Unit Citation (ribbon, no medal) with one star.

His marksmanship medals are a Pistol Expert with the dual 1911s hanging underneath, and the last one has on top: US Marine Corps, followed by Pistol-D, Bayonet and finally the bullseye with G&A in a wreath.

I was wondering what you can tell about him by these medals.What do the three stars on the Asiatic Pacific mean? Single star on the Navy Presidential Unit Citation? (That one is mounted upside down. Oops.)

I can tell by the holes in the mounting board that the ribbon for the American Campaign is missing and there used to be something else mounted under the NPUC. I'll ask mom if they're at the bottom of a box somewhere.

How about the marksmanship badges? What were the accomplishments to achieve these? The Pistol Expert I saw, but the other one seems like a mash of things.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to remounting these in his frame with his service photo for my boys to see when they're older. I'd like to print out what these are and what they mean. I'll do the same for my dad- his are just in a box with some photos in a drawer. Different generations...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My mom brought over her father's medals last night. They're roughly mounted in a shadow box (that he made in the 50s) that shows the wear of 60 or more years moving around the country. She knew I'd want them, so at last I have them.

First thing, I set out to identify them, and after some confusing research I've nailed down all of them, but some have distinctions. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

The complete Medal/Ribbon collection has a European African Middle Eastern Campaign, American Defense Service, Bronze Star, Asiatic Pacific Campaign (with three stars on the ribbon), WWII Victory, USMC Good Conduct (Second Award). Then theres an American Campaign Medal (no ribbon) and a Navy Presidential Unit Citation (ribbon, no medal) with one star.

His marksmanship medals are a Pistol Expert with the dual 1911s hanging underneath, and the last one has on A in a wreath.

I was wondering what you can tell about him by these medals.What do the three stars on the Asiatic Pacific mean? Single star on the Navy Presidential Unit Citation? (That one is mounted upside down. Oops.)

I can tell by the holes in the mounting board that the ribbon for the American Campaign is missing and there used to be something else mounted under the NPUC. I'll ask mom if they're at the bottom of a box somewhere.

How about the marksmanship badges? What were the accomplishments to achieve these? The Pistol Expert I saw, but the other one seems like a mash of things.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to remounting these in his frame with his service photo for my boys to see when they're older. I'd like to print out what these are and what they mean. I'll do the same for my dad- his are just in a box with some photos in a drawer. Different generations...
View Quote

He started his service before Pearl Harbor, as evidenced by the ASDM.

The EAME medal could have been earned as part of a ship's Marine detachment in the Atlantic Fleet, or perhaps as a part of the Iceland Defense Force in 41-42,

The stars on the APC mean he served in three campaigns.  Wiki actually has a good listing of the naval campaigns:

wiki entry on A-P campaign medal

The star on the PUC should indicate a second award.

A good way to find out what your grandfather did would be to obtain his records from the NARA.  Your mother should be able to sign the SF180 as a next-of-kin request to be able to get full details.

NARA veteran records request information
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding! Thank you so much. Mom is currently in her hometown meeting with his police force (he was everything from traffic cop to chief in Urbana IL) where they're putting together a history of the force. She has all of his old badges and photos. Apparently they don't have much, so she's going to fill them in.

I greatly appreciate your input. When she gets back I'll look into those records (unless she already has them) and then keep that printed with the medals by my safe.

Have a great night.

-M
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics and topic in the veteran's forum might help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're stumped try the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico. There are almost always vets that volunteer there walk around answering questions. The ones I spoke to were extremely knowledgable. Worst case scenario you get to go to a really cool museum.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Every medal has a ribon, but not every ribbon has a medal. No presidential or meritorious unit citation has a medal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
The marksmanship badge with the pistol-d is for a combat course of fire, and I think the one with the EGA-bullseye-wreath is an interservice badge. It looks like your grandpa did some competition shooting.

USMC marksmanship badges
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Send for his records. Fortunately USMC and Navy records weren't lost in the 1970's fire-Army and Army Air Corps were lost almost entirely. I've done it several times for WWII USMC items in my collection.

SF180
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The marksmanship badge with the pistol-d is for a combat course of fire, and I think the one with the EGA-bullseye-wreath is an interservice badge. It looks like your grandpa did some competition shooting.

USMC marksmanship badges
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!

Unfortunately, he died before I got into shooting, as did my uncle (also USMC) so I never got to talk to them about it. And no one else in my family is really into it but me, so I'm keeping it alive for my boys. My other uncle has all of their guns, and he has no kids. I'm hoping i can be in line to inherit them. If nothing else, my grandfather's service revolver is up there...

I'm looking into getting those records. I'd love to hear what he was into!

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top