Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 11:13:27 PM EDT
"Desert Rock was the code name of a series of exercises conducted by the US military in conjunction with atmospheric nuclear tests. They were carried out at the Nevada Proving Grounds between 1951 and 1957.

Their purpose was to train troops and gain knowledge of military maneuvers and operations on the nuclear battlefield. They included observer programs, tactical maneuvers, and damage effects tests."

Desert Rock wikipedia

Troops at Buster-Jangle Dog test as part of Desert Rock I:

Excerpts from Report of Exercise Desert Rock I:

"3.  OBJECTIVES OF EXERCISE.

a.  To provide indoctrination training in the tactical employment of atomic weapons and essential physical protection measures, to test special equipment.
b.  To indoctrinate designated military personnel.
c.  To determine the psychological reaction of troops watching an explosion and passing through the area of explosion as soon after the burst as possible.
d.  To determine insofar as possible the effects of the explosion on as many types of ground forces equipment at varying distances from the ground zero; and, through the use of animals, the probable effects on personnel.
e.  To determine the effectiveness of various tactical formations, offensive and defensive, and of emplacements."

Exercise Desert Rock I report online

Troops in trenches at Desert Rock:

Troops in the open:

Link opens to pdf report of Analysis of Radiation Exposure during Desert Rock, from DTRA website
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Tons of great stock footage from that era and later. Good shit. Nuke tests and experiments had a steep learning curve then.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Wonder how many succumbed to cancer later in life.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder how many succumbed to cancer later in life.
View Quote

Too many.  

National Association of Atomic Veterans

VA radiation exposure cancer presumptions
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember meeting a vet at one of the 506th reunions who was part of one of these tests.  He was a hoot!  He stated that unlike most of the people in his family (who died of cancer) he didn't BECAUSE of the radiation exposure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top