Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 10:11:11 AM EDT
On April 21, 1836, Texian forces under General Sam Houston defeated the Mexican Army, commanded by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, in the decisive victory of the Texas Revolution.  The battleground was an area of marshy ground cut through with a lot of waterways.  After the Mexican forces arrived on scene, General Houston had his scouts, led by Deaf Smith, burn the only bridge to cut off any possible retreat.  They attacked the Mexican forces, who were unaware of the Texans' advance, in their camp, and resistance quickly disappeared.

Painting of the battle:

Battle map:

"Houston disposed his forces in battle order about 3:30 in the afternoon while all was quiet on the Mexican side during the afternoon siesta. The Texans' movements were screened by trees and the rising ground, and evidently Santa Anna had no lookouts posted. The battle line was formed with Edward Burleson's regiment in the center, Sherman's on the left wing, the artillery under George W. Hockley on Burleson's right, the infantry under Henry Millard on the right of the artillery, and the cavalry under Lamar on the extreme right. The Twin Sisters were wheeled into position, and the whole line, led by Sherman's men, sprang forward on the run with the cry, "Remember the Alamo!" "Remember Goliad!" The battle lasted but eighteen minutes. According to Houston's official report, the casualties were 630 Mexicans killed and 730 taken prisoner. Against this, only nine of the 910 Texans were killed or mortally wounded and thirty were wounded less seriously. Houston's ankle was shattered by a rifle ball. The Texans captured a large supply of muskets, pistols, sabers, mules, horses, provisions, clothing, tents, and $12,000 in silver."

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qes04

Replicas of the "Twin Sisters", the Texian's two cannons:

Santa Anna surrenders to Houston:

San Jacinto Monument:

San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site map:

Further readings:

http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewitt/batsanjacinto.htm

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/texas/battle-san-jacinto.htm

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Game....blouses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
God bless Texas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
God bless Texas.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a direct descendant of fighters there. William McIntyre fought alongside Houston. He named his son Sam Houston McIntyre. Eventually they left Texas, driving cattle over the Chisholm trail into Utah and later Alberta. They began a ranching and mining empire. My great great grandfather is Sam Houston McIntyre.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember the Alamo!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice work OP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am a direct descendant of fighters there. William McIntyre fought alongside Houston. He named his son Sam Houston McIntyre. Eventually they left Texas, driving cattle over the Chisholm trail into Utah and later Alberta. They began a ranching and mining empire. My great great grandfather is Sam Houston McIntyre.

View Quote

That is cool, I am a direct descendant of Robert Mcalpin"three legged Willie" Williamson. He was the first Major of the Texas Rangers and during the Texas revolution he rode with William H. Smith's 2nd REG. "J" cavalry. and latter became a Texas supreme court judge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
God Bless Texas !
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
God Bless Texas !
View Quote

This
Lord willing, I will return there and stay for good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top