Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 11:48:41 PM EDT
Along I-10 in western New Mexico is the town of Deming, which got its start from the transcontinental railroad.  During WWI, the US Army opened and operated a training camp here for the 34th Division.

http://demingnewmexico.genealogyvillage.com/index.html#top

Construction of Camp Cody, named after Buffalo Bill Cody, started in June 1917, on the site of the former Camp Deming, which had been opened after the Pancho Villa raid on Columbus.  National Guard units from the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Iowa came here to train and form the division.

Up to 30,000 men trained here and there was a large amount of construction for all the building necessary to house them.  

Cody Avenue buildings:

Practice trenches to prepare for combat in France:

Bake ovens-- 10,000 loaves baked each day:

Pistol training!!!!

Artillery training:

Interestingly enough, after all the training, the 34th never made it into combat as a division.  They arrived in France in October, 1918, and were sent back to the US to be disbanded in December, 1918.  They did take a number of casualties, though, from the worldwide influenza epidemic.  Camp Cody closed after the war, and the remaining buildings were sold to become a tuberculosis sanitarium.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Fascinating!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I was born and raised in Deming, graduated high school from there. I always heard stories about Camp Cody, but never really had the opportunity to learn about it.

This is a good read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top