Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2014 12:50:29 PM EDT
What are the historical time periods, or events, or subjects, that you like to learn about?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2.

The Roman Republic

The Roman Empire

The Mongolian expansion, (Gengis Khan and the next 3 generations), is also interesting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite period is the formation of our government and early years, i.e., 1818 and prior. However, our political history through the 19th century is fascinating as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I like pre 1865 American History.

Renaissance/Reformation time periods
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
the middle ages, especially England and Scotland
all English History
American History from the plymouth colony to the present
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WWII and Disney
View Quote

If I might ask, what is it that attracts you to the history of Disney?

Is it the way he turned his vision into an entertainment empire?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
WWII

I've got an encyclopedia on it consisting of 24 books.

Read some books like "Into the Rising Sun" - excellent read on the Pacific by the way

Read a few others as well....I'll dig through the library later

ETA: I'm fascinated with the way Soldiers/Marines behaved in that time period.

There wasn't such an attitude of entitlement. It was an attitude of "There's a job to be done. It's rough. It's dirty. A bunch of us are going to die, but we're going to do it"

The unprecedented displays of courage that were present as well .

The entire period - Men and equipment - fascinate me from a historical standpoint as well as a military tactician standpoint.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
WWI aviation
WWII aviation
Early american history
Lots of other stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WWII

I've got an encyclopedia on it consisting of 24 books.

Read some books like "Into the Rising Sun" - excellent read on the Pacific by the way

Read a few others as well....I'll dig through the library later

ETA: I'm fascinated with the way Soldiers/Marines behaved in that time period.

There wasn't such an attitude of entitlement. It was an attitude of "There's a job to be done. It's rough. It's dirty. A bunch of us are going to die, but we're going to do it"

The unprecedented displays of courage that were present as well .

The entire period - Men and equipment - fascinate me from a historical standpoint as well as a military tactician standpoint.
View Quote

^
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The Revolutionary War
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I know very little about Europe after the fall of the roman empire until World War One. I'd like to know more.

Cause this is pretty crazy.

If any of you have questions about pre-revolution america and canada I might be able to help out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like pre 1865 American History.

Renaissance/Reformation time periods
View Quote

Yes indeed, this right here.

Although the entire history of the British isles going back to pre-Roman times is fascinating.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I honestly cannot pin it down.  I suppose if I absolutely had to pick one time period, it would 1900 to 1920.  But really I'm just as content learning about Medieval Europe, the Renaissance,the Enlightenment, WWI, WWII, Revolutionary America, Victorian England, the Russian Revolution, etc.  It's kind of whatever I'm in the mood for.  My problem is that I tend to wander off into the weeds and find myself in another time and another place reading about someone completely different who did something else.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#15]
World War II.  Specifically the Eastern Front.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I continue to go through phases, but mostly..

Pre-history - how we came to live in towns
Biblical history
The Minoan/Akrotiri civilization - Probably the most fascinating to me
Rome
Medieval Europe
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#17]
colonial contact zones from 1800- 1950
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I always said if I could live in another time it'd be the 1940s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Early American History
WW2, specializing in the Waffen SS and police.
USMC history
Space exploration
British military history
modern terrorism
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#20]
1) French war in Algeria- Primary focus. Takes up most of my time studying about the sociological, political, cultural, and military aspects plus collecting militaria and firearms
2) French war in Indochina- offshoot of/lead-in to #1
3) Counterinsurgency in general- to include #1, #2, Vietnam War, and the wars in Afghanistan
4) Late Roman Republic/Early Empire
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Mostly early American history
Currently doing some reading on the French & Indian war.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Sadly I don't read nearly as much as I used to. That said The History of Rome is probably my favorite podcast. I've played it through probably 3 or 4 times. Which led me to wanting to learn more about the Byzantine Empire. I've been on that kick for about a year now. With side trips into the Persian and Mongol empires since they were such constant adversaries of Constantinople.

That's what I love about history. It's so easy to get sidetracked into an area or period other than when or where you started.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Rhodesian bush war fascinates me
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sadly I don't read nearly as much as I used to. That said The History of Rome is probably my favorite podcast. I've played it through probably 3 or 4 times. Which led me to wanting to learn more about the Byzantine Empire. I've been on that kick for about a year now. With side trips into the Persian and Mongol empires since they were such constant adversaries of Constantinople.

That's what I love about history. It's so easy to get sidetracked into an area or period other than when or where you started.
View Quote

That is the absolute truth.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Far Eastern History.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Military.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the Civil War era I would consider 1850-1870 which includes issues leading up to war and 1st part of reconstruction.
I also like the expansion west which I consider 1840-1890 to include the Indian Wars, Boom towns, cattle drives etc. Really like the Real West series on History with kenny Rogers.
I like the Gangster era in the 1920s and 30s to include Dillinger. Bonnie and Clyde and Prohibition.
WW1 is also pretty amazing. Kinda burnt out on WW2 as I have pretty much saw everything on this.
On a more specific note I have been intrigued lately by our failures in the Punitive Expedition. Really interesting chasing Pancho Villa and our issues with our 1st mechanized Army.

I really love sports history especially baseball amazing to see how the game has evolved.

Never was really interested in Pre American history or the Revolution or War of 1812 although the politics were fascinating.
Never much got into Post WW2 history either
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Definitely general American history from the 1890s to the present. It seems like a huge chunk of history, but it's really interesting to see how our modern America is today based on events that happened over a hundred years ago.
I also have special interests in the following:
WWI & WWII (General history; Military tactics; Evolution of each players weaponry)
The Cold War (Relation to modern U.S.; Proxy wars)
U.S. entertainment industry/Pop culture
I've never been a fan of Renaissance, Medieval or Ancient history, but have been meaning to study more about the U.S. prior to the 1860s.
EDIT: Forgot to mention 'The Last Frontier' era of U.S. history (1860s-early 1900s), seeing western folks trying to adapt to a rapidly expanding urban America also does it for me.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Not so much a historical period as exploratory sagas.  Historical records of journeys by people like Commodore George Anson, Leif Ericson, Marco Polo,  Roald Amundson, Daniel Boone, Lewis & Clark, James Cook.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#30]
A lot of neat choices so far!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#31]
WWII in general...
US Military History...
US Special Forces...
German UBoats in WWII-Operation Drumbeat times especially
The Edmund Fitzgerald
And...for a 47 year old NC boy who likes military history I'm JUST NOW 'getting into" the Civil War.  Especially liking the Fort Fisher/Cape Fear campaigns...

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Definitely general American history from the 1890s to the present. It seems like a huge chunk of history, but it's really interesting to see how our modern America is today based on events that happened over a hundred years ago.
I also have special interests in the following:
WWI & WWII (General history; Military tactics; Evolution of each players weaponry)
The Cold War (Relation to modern U.S.; Proxy wars)
U.S. entertainment industry/Pop culture
I've never been a fan of Renaissance, Medieval or Ancient history, but have been meaning to study more about the U.S. prior to the 1860s.
EDIT: Forgot to mention 'The Last Frontier' era of U.S. history (1860s-early 1900s), seeing western folks trying to adapt to a rapidly expanding urban America also does it for me.

View Quote

Especially with the railroads and their influence on the US.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#33]
history is a question... namely when- why then why care

geography is a methodology where, why there, why care

psychology and philosophy are useless

but if you like it it's never a waste.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Classical Antiquity- specifically the Roman period

Crusades

Hundred Years War

The American Civil War

WWII

And the Cold War.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#35]
The Middle Ages with a focus on the Crusades
The American Revolution
Rome
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I just love history whether it is Roman Empire's or Scotland's etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#37]
The Korean War
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#38]
World War 2 in Europe,  Special Forces recon teams in Laos and Cambodia,  and given the crap the White House has pulled lately, the American Revolution.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Mostly Victoria’s Little Wars. The Great Game in Central Asia, Mahdist wars of the Sudan, Boer Wars, the whole Scramble for Africa period and it’s participants. As a subset, I’m really interested in the British Regimental System and the various reforms and amalgamations.

I’d really like to learn more of 19th century Franco-Indochina history but I don’t read French.

Somewhere bringing up the rear is the Fall of the Roman Empire and in the past the American Fur Trade.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#40]
WWII, PTO to be specific.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I would say the Roman Republic and Roman Empire -> specifically their technology and engineering.  Also how the parallels and differences with our country today.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Dup, please delete.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Dup, please delete.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#44]
As of late my 2 interests have been the French and Indian War and some of the more obscure campaigns of WWII -Eastern Front and pre D-Day in Europe, and the Japanese conquests in the Pacific especially in the CBI theater.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I graduated magna cum summa with a degree in History.

I learned you should always ask yourself one very important question.

What part did racial minorities, women and the LGBTQXYZ play in the historical event being discussed?  How, and to what extent, were they oppressed by straight white males?  

That's what I like...  a good history of micro-aggression.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#46]
English royal history is my favorite with the Tudor period being the pinnacle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Medieval times
Revolutionary War
Always had an interest in WWII
Most recently a great interest in the Great War
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes this absolutely
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#49]
WWII aviation.

Almost exclusively the European/Mediterranean/North Africa/Eastern Fronts. Trying to collect or get my hands on every worthwhile book on the subject but, mainly, memoirs and biographies of pilots. I just never get tired of reading about it and I hope to write a book someday. I really want to take a more quantitative look at US/British fighter pilots compared to Luftwaffe Jagdflieger pilots. Training, mentality, equipment, the whole shebang. What made Allied pilots what they were and what made German pilots what they were.

Also read a lot on Late Republican Rome, especially the Legions and leaders starting with the Marian reforms and ending with Actium.

Enjoy Medieval history but it can be pretty nebulous. It can be difficult to find books/studies dedicated to one century or time period in particular.

I love reading.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#50]
-American Revolution especially the early days
-Vietnam and the use of special forces
-WWII
-WWI (thanks to Dan Carlin; I knew very little of this until the Blueprint for Armageddon series, now I'm hooked)
-Local history
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top