Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2013 2:08:51 PM EDT
Small but interesting photos.  http://www.themysteryworld.com/2013/05/finland-in-world-war-ii-49-pics.html

From the site:

Interesting WWII-era photos from Finland that were put online by the Finnish Defense Forces. From 1939 to 1945 Finland was involved in three conflicts - Winter War against the Soviet Union, the Continuation War against the Soviets alongside the Germans and the Lapland War against the Germans for control of Lapland.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty awesome photos.  Are all those vehicles with swastikas German, or did they give them to the Finns to use?  That one on skies was pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pretty awesome photos.  Are all those vehicles with swastikas German, or did they give them to the Finns to use?  That one on skies was pretty interesting.

Finns used the swastika before the Nazis. It originates from the first plane of the Finnish Air Force that was given to it by a Swedish nobleman, Eric von Rosen, whose personal lucky emblem the blue symbol was. The Finns included the emblem first to their Air planes and later also tanks and other vehicles as a mark of respect for count von Rosen and it had nothing to do with the German swastika.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting.  I did not know that.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
There is actually on-line gallery of 170 000 pictures from Winter, Continuation and Lappland War. You can search gallery by keywords or by date. Address to online gallery is:

http://sa-kuva.fi/

Finnish Defence Forces has made wonderful job and digitized all their war-time photos and made them public. For a big suprise I did find my grandmother in one picture!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is actually on-line gallery of 170 000 pictures from Winter, Continuation and Lappland War. You can search gallery by keywords or by date. Address to online gallery is:

http://sa-kuva.fi/

Finnish Defence Forces has made wonderful job and digitized all their war-time photos and made them public. For a big suprise I did find my grandmother in one picture!
View Quote

They have added color photos to that archive.

http://sa-kuva.fi/neo?tem=webneoeng
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Great, now I know what I am doing tonight
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the link OP
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Larry Thorne = "bad ass"
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Larry Thorne = "bad ass"
View Quote
He really took the saying "Kill a Commie for Mommy" to heart.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Finns used the swastika before the Nazis. It originates from the first plane of the Finnish Air Force that was given to it by a Swedish nobleman, Eric von Rosen, whose personal lucky emblem the blue symbol was. The Finns included the emblem first to their Air planes and later also tanks and other vehicles as a mark of respect for count von Rosen and it had nothing to do with the German swastika.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The swastika predates the Nazis by hundreds (or maybe thousands) of years.  It's a traditional good luck symbol in many cultures, such as India and the Navajos in America.  Unfortunately a little shithead with an inferiority complex had to screw it up for everyone.

ETA:  thanks for posting this, OP.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top