Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2001 6:14:38 PM EDT
Someone started a thread in GD about a bust they saw by the CA DOJ at a gun show today. The vendor may not have know their stuff was no longer legal.

Some of these were illegal before and were just reincluded in SB23. Most of them were new. These also do not include crimes commited while using any of these things ( duh! ).

Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any:
cane gun
wallet gun
any undetectable firearm
any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm
any camouflaging firearm container
( Camouflaging firearm container" does not include any camouflaging
covering used while engaged in lawful hunting or while going to or
returning from a lawful hunting expedition )
any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart
any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent
any ballistic knife
any multiburst trigger activator
any nunchaku
any short-barreled shotgun
any short-barreled rifle
any metal knuckles
any belt buckle knife
any leaded cane
any zip gun
any shuriken
any unconventional pistol
any lipstick case knife
any cane sword
any shobi-zue
any air gauge knife
any writing pen knife
any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade
any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag

anyone who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers orexposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine

anyone who arries concealed upon his or her person any explosive
substance, other than fixed ammunition

anyone who carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger

End of part I
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Part II

12276.1.  (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon"
shall also mean any of the following:
  (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
  (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon.
  (B) A thumbhole stock.
  (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
  (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
  (E) A flash suppressor.
  (F) A forward pistol grip.
  (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine
with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
  (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length
of less than 30 inches.
  (4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:
  (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.
  (B) A second handgrip.
  (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon
without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel.
  (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location
outside of the pistol grip.
  (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
  (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
  (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
  (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
  (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
  (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder

Anyone think of any more ( real ones, not B.S. )
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad I'm not in CA., looks like everything is illegal down there.  Move to Washington State!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
back in (april?), the DOJ busted 2 guys (brothers) wearing black and selling all the illegal martial arts weapons.
crossroads of the west guns no longer allows these bozos to set up there. but they were at other kalif shows. they were told a few times the stuff they sold was illegal.
i heard the DOJ also threaten a couple knife dealers for wearing "neck knives" in plain view while working.

hmmmm NO gun arrests in kalif, of course swinestein says that damn AWs are being sold illegaly at gun show

the CROW shows also announces that the DOJ will be at the show (unknown when or where) and "NO LONGER IN EDUCATION PHASE AND ARE WORKING IN THE ENFORCEMENT PHASE"

all those registration form money we sent in helped to pay for the DOJs gun enforcement bureau
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The Astute Reader will note the large number of traditional Asian weapons on the list.  Those were originally outlawed in the 1850s and 60s during the large waves of Asian immigrants.

The history of weapons banned in California is long and twisted.  Once upon a time, in about 1872 IIRC, all laws against carrying concealed weapons were repealed.  They came back bit by bit.

While touring the Daibutsu shrine (largest bronze Buddha in Asia) in Japan in 1994 I bought several small souveniers at the gift shop, mostly as gifts for friends.  Included were a shuriken for myself and a hashish pipe for an artist friend.  When I entered the US I wasn't worried even slightly about the (unused) hash pipe, although the DEA _could_ have made an issue of it; but having the shuriken in my luggage and knowing that it was a felony to have one concealed in California gave me a good case of the border willies.

FWIW I got away with it.  And I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
So, CA Kid, while you were at the Daibutsu Shrine did you see if you were a "wise man?" One of the best pictures I ever took was of that Buddha.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't give a difinitive reply on my own wisdom, but the extra 20 yen (then about 20 US cents) to go INSIDE of the Daibutsu was without a doubt the best bargain I've ever gotten at any tourist attraction in the world.

The Daibutsu is a very impressive sight.  When my brother, his wife, and I first saw it over the treetops we all stopped in our tracks and stared.  I spoke first, saying "That's a BFB!"  My companions agreed.

I took many photos of the statue.  They are among the best of my week in Japan.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#8]
California...get away from the big cities and sooo many good people... what a tradegy the liberals in Sacto have done to a once great land...I have thought often of retiring there, around the Eastern Sierra area, but no more with such restrictive personal rights laws...Best of luck to you good men and women there...dont give up and fight for your rights...Freedom is the Highest Law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just reading through all these legal things and was wondering what I might have to do with all my guns if I have to move to CA...  Since I have a pre-ban AR with all the associated parts would I be legal to bring it into CA if I had to move there?  Would that be considered as "importation"?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget night vision rifle scopes with IR illuminators.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
For great reading fun, log on to the CA DOJ website and try to decipher anything. Here in Nevada, even us laymen can read and UNDERSTAND the law. My head like to exploded from trying to read Californy Penile codes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Blowguns are illegal also. I wonder what they'd do if they found the 4ft. piece of pvc and empty liter soda bottle in the garage (the spout makes a nice mouthpiece......or so I hear![}:)]). HMMmmm, come to think of it, I may even have some of those bamboo skewers and some cotton ball lying around. There you have it! I even have illegal dart making components! [:O]
I wear a Frost carving knife (2 3/4" blade) in a rawhide sheath hanging from my neck, every day. I've never had a problem with any LEO that has seen it, whether I knew them or not. Had a lady at the Costco door bug her eyes out over it once though, LOL.  "EXCUSE me Sir! IS THAT A KNIFE?", she wasn't going to let me in even though I explained it was legal and actually a smaller blade than most knives carried around in people's pockets. The poor thing needed to get some reassurance from the manager. I pity the weak & timid, sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
California...get away from the big cities and sooo many good people... what a tragedy the liberals in Sacto have done to a once great land...I have thought often of retiring there, around the Eastern Sierra area, but no more with such restrictive personal rights laws...Best of luck to you good men and women there...don't give up and fight for your rights...Freedom is the Highest Law.
View Quote

Don't forget San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. With their associated counties of course.

Alex
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top