Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 6:40:46 PM EDT
I'm not either but was considering getting a C&R (FFL maybe in a couple of years).  What do you do with your firearms when you decide to get ou of the business/collecting?  If you have a class III and you have both pre & post guns, what do you do with them once you let your license lapse?  Same with a C&R.  Would you have to get rid of say a 1919 full auto C&R if you get rid of your license?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
class 3 dealers have to gte rid of post 86 mgs becouse when there licescne expires and they dont renwe they cant posses those post 86 mgs any more
since a CR cant get u a post 86 Mg u dont have to give up anything when your licsence laps
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#2]
So if I did get a C&R and bought a 1919 full auto, when I let my license lapse, I still keep the 1919 along with all the other firearms I bought while I had the C&R?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless your state only allows dealers to own full auto, yes.  If you live someplace like Missouri (for one), where only persons with a valid FFL may possess machineguns, then letting your FFL lapse while you owned a machinegun would require that you move that machinegun out of state or sell it before letting your license lapse.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Another question.

I just printed out my complete application that I downloaded from cruffler.com.  Can I send in an application that is printed on two pages, or should I have the two printed pages photocopied/printed onto one page?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Would be better to maintain your license.  You have to send in your bound book when your license is not renewed.  And don't use the Excel spreadsheet linked off Cruffler as your book.  ATF sent out a letter recently with a bunch of blah, blah, blah and one of the paragraphs stated that each instance of electronic format books had to be approved by the ATF.
Isn't in Adobe format?  I shrunk it and printed on one page.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
What about a typical class I?  I was also thinking of applying for my liscense.

I was mostly going to get it for personal use, ie. buy guns for myself and friends.  

If it doesn't end up worth it, can I simply transfer all the guns to myself, then let the liscense lapse?  
Does the ATF care about profit/loss, or would I be in a world of shit if it was found out that I wasn't actually running a real business (although, technically, I guess I would be....)?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#8]
C&R FFL holders are not required to send in their bound books to the ATF when the license expires. The C&R license is for collection and doesn't allow an individual to be in the gun business. The ATF just sent out the new Firearms Curios or Relics List form ATF P 5300.11 (3-2001) to all of us C&R guys this week. This publication has all the answers anyone needs about making a decision to become a licensed collector or not.

Wick
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
C&R FFL holders are not required to send in their bound books to the ATF when the license expires. The C&R license is for collection and doesn't allow an individual to be in the gun business. The ATF just sent out the new Firearms Curios or Relics List form ATF P 5300.11 (3-2001) to all of us C&R guys this week. This publication has all the answers anyone needs about making a decision to become a licensed collector or not.

Wick
View Quote

Thanks for the info Wick.  I ass-U-Med that they wanted our books too.
Problem with the publication they sent us is that we already have the license ....
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that C+R license don't do much for you.

Allows you to order C+R guns only out of state. Unless you bought an original WW2 1919 it would do nothing for you.

Can only order C+R machineguns out of state, still must pay the transfer tax. Does not save you the $200.

The C+R is not a business license. It is a collector's license. If you happen to sell something you collected you must keep records.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
Keep in mind that C+R license don't do much for you.

Allows you to order C+R guns only out of state. Unless you bought an original WW2 1919 it would do nothing for you.

Can only order C+R machineguns out of state, still must pay the transfer tax. Does not save you the $200.

The C+R is not a business license. It is a collector's license. If you happen to sell something you collected you must keep records.
View Quote

Sure about that?  I am only aware of CA state laws that prevent the use of a C&R in state.  Heck, they don't even prevent it.  They just make you DROS and wait 10 days.  And that's only from an 01 FFL.  Even in the PRK, you can get around this with a Certificate of Eligibility from the AG.  Can you point me to the federal law on this?

Don't know anything about machine guns.

You have to keep records on the C&R guns you keep, too.  The gun was already recorded in your book when you purchased it and even without a C&R, I would never sell a gun without keeping records (or having an FFL keep the records as is required in my state).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top