Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 11:25:37 AM EDT
I live in Pennsylvania and I was wondering if it is legal to purchase 30rd preban magazines for use in my postban rifle.  Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
YES.  Completely legal.  You can even buy 100 round Beta-C mags.

Federal law prohibits the manufacture of new hicaps for civilian use.  Local laws can impede purchase of preban hicaps, such as here in Maryland where we can't buy mags greater than 20 rounds.

The preban status of mags have nothing to do with pre or postban status of guns.  Mix and match at will.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info fight4yourrights.  Does any one know the legality of high capacity magazines in Pennsylvania.  I heard through the grapevine that PA law is one of the most lenient in the country as far as firearms go.  I heard even 50 Cal. rifles are legal as I have seen one for sale at a local gun dealer's store.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but
Fight4YourRights: Does MD have a law against handgun mags with >10 rounds?  I was talking to my dealer about the HS2000 and how it took Beretta mags (with a slight mod) so hicaps were available.  He said it didnt matter, since we cant buy handgun mags over 10 rounds or rifle mags over 20 in MD.  I think is sorta on the order of his $300 Mauser (Yugo I think) and $300 Chinese SKS, in other words: a load of bull.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe PA is pretty good in all respects.  You can try checking the [url]www.nra.org[/url] website for more laws.

Your dealer is doing what so many do - making up their own laws that are worse than what already exist.

I have readily purchased 17 and 19 round glock magazines from 3 different dealers here in Maryland.

From the Maryland Gun Laws website [url]http://www.inform.umd.edu/UMS+State/MD_Resources/MDSP/regulate.txt[/url]

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive,
   or transfer a detachable magazine for any type of firearm, except
   a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine, if the magazine has a
   capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
ARshorty -

PA has no restrictions on hi-caps.  PA is actually a pretty progun state.  Easy CCW (a "shall issue" state), no restrictions on hi-caps or "assault weapons" of any type.  There are no state restrictions on machineguns, supressors, SBR/SBS's, or DD's, and a CLEO  signoff can be had in most counties for NFA weapons.  Fifty's are indeed legal, and if you have the money, you can even get a full auto .50 in PA.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Shaggy.

I'm a newbie and I was just trying to get all the info I could before making a mistake that could cost me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
AR_Shorty,

Welcome to the discussion.  The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Pre-ban high-cap magazines are legal to use in post-ban rifles even in the Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia.  (But the mags can't be imported to the state or transferred.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Post ban magazines may be illegal in your state
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
huffits:  all post cut off high caps are illegal for civvies

its a federal law
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]

I don't follow what you are saying about all post cut offs?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
all AR-15 hi-cap mags made after 9/94 are for LEO/MILITARY use ONLY.meaning that unless you are a Law Enforcement Officer or Active duty military personnel,you may not process hi-cap mags made after 9/94.there are a few exceptions to this rule ie.Dealers etc.there's a search button at the top of this page that leads you to a wealth of information.please try to learn your facts before you start to give advice,that from what i've seen so far has been completely wrong and in most case illegal.mmk
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top