Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 8:07:45 AM EDT
I'm working on my 308 SBR project currently waiting on a stamp form the ATF. It then dawned on me that if I'am running a 12.5 upper on it, I will have to notify the ATF that I want to move it across state lines. Now my question for anyone who can answer this is, If I put on a upper that is longer than 16 inch ie 18, 22 etc. Do i still have to notify the ATF that I'm taking the my SBR'd Lower out of state?

To my best knowledge, the SBR lower is not considered a NFA up if it barrel length and overall length are out of the limits set by the BAFT NFA.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Well it's not an SBR until you receive the stamp....

Once you do...it will always be an SBR unless you take it off the rolls.

I would assume technically it would need notification and fall under NFA rules regardless of configuration .... in "standard configuration " with > 16" barrel, assuming that configuration is legal in the state.... how would anyone know.

I may be wrong and someone will probably be along shortly to elaborate
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Your lower once registered is an SBR. It doesn't matter what upper you put on it. It' still registered as an SBR.

As far as I know you would have to remove it from the registry to no longer be an SBR.

I could be wrong about this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would assume technically it would need notification and fall under NFA rules regardless of configuration .... in "standard configuration " with > 16" barrel, assuming that configuration is legal in the state.... how would anyone know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Your lower once registered is an SBR. It doesn't matter what upper you put on it. It' still registered as an SBR.

As far as I know you would have to remove it from the registry to no longer be an SBR.

<---FFL/SOT
You are both wrong, and this has been covered numerous times........an SBR (or SBS) is only an NFA firearm WHEN IN NFA CONFIGURATION.
ATF asks, but does not require you to notify them when the firearm is no longer in NFA configuration.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

<---FFL/SOT
You are both wrong, and this has been covered numerous times........an SBR (or SBS) is only an NFA firearm WHEN IN NFA CONFIGURATION.
ATF asks, but does not require you to notify them when the firearm is no longer in NFA configuration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

<---FFL/SOT

Are you saying I can put a 16" (or longer) upper on my SBR and take it out of state with no 5320.20 or other notification and that's legal?

What about with no upper?  Can I transport just the lower without notification?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

<---FFL/SOT
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification/correction!...

I love how magically an item can change status!
FTATF
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not an SBR until your Form 1 is approved (and technically engraved with your info) so you can currently do anything with it that you can do with a regular rifle...except, as you make it sound, put a shorter than 16" barrel on it (308 pistol?).
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you saying I can put a 16" (or longer) upper on my SBR and take it out of state with no 5320.20 or other notification and that's legal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

<---FFL/SOT

Correct.

What about with no upper? Can I transport just the lower without notification?  

Again, if the firearm is not in SBR configuration...........it's not a SBR or NFA firearm. The only time you need to get ATF approval is when you are traveling interstate with an NFA firearm other than AOW's or Silencers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not an SBR until your Form 1 is approved (and technically engraved with your info) so you can currently do anything with it that you can do with a regular rifle...except, as you make it sound, put a shorter than 16" barrel on it (308 pistol?).
View Quote

Only being in SBR configuration makes it an SBR. Registering it as an SBR doesn't make it an SBR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Only being in SBR configuration makes it an SBR. Registering it as an SBR doesn't make it an SBR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, which should mean that people in states that prohibit SBRs should still be able to register receivers as long as the gun is never actually in a non-compliant under state law configuration. Unfortunately this is not the case (ATF will reject your Form 1). It would make for an interesting legal challenge though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not You can't make it an SBR until your Form 1 is approved (and technically engraved with your info) so you can currently do anything with it that you can do with a regular rifle...except, as you make it sound, put a shorter than 16" barrel on it (308 pistol?).

There, happy?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. E. Hemingway

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
And all you have to ensure is that some local yokel understands the law.

Go for it.

Find out.

Do you get attorneys fees reimbursed?

Playing to the 'letter of the law' rarely works well 'in the field.'

I went round and round with a deputy Sherri-ff in an adjoining county.

I had a fully fed and state registered machine gun.
Paperwork in the case.

When the actual sheriff arrived he glanced at the paperwork and his next question was "Can I try it?"

He fired a couple bursts (and actually had decent trigger control) and then proceeded to harangue his deputy.

I though the guy was going to pee his pants.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<---FFL/SOT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

<---FFL/SOT

This is the correct answer.

If you put a 16+ barrel on it you can still sell it as a title I
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for everyone response. I didn't think it would develop so fast on this forum. I appreciate all of the imput that everyone provided and some clarity on this topic.  This has been really bugging me with all of the nfa items that I have.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I learned something new again today.

I must have missed the prior conversations. I have to admit though that having a registered SBR lower that is not an SBR without a short barrel is confusing to me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I must have missed the prior conversations. I have to admit though that having a registered SBR lower that is not an SBR without a short barrel is confusing to me.
View Quote

It is the gun not the form that determines its legal status.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top