Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 6:08:27 PM EDT
Im new to buying online and was wondering if the background process if started after the shipper swaps info with my FFL or does it not atart until after it arrives to the place I have it shipped to?

Basically, do I have to wait an additional 5 days after shipping or was the background pricess already started? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Varies by state, but I would not expect any head start in the process. I suspect the 5 days is from when the FFL has physical posession and starts your paper work.

Nice and legal, Agent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Damnit, was hoping I would t have to wait that long

Thanks for the answer
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Until the FFL has the firearm in question in hand and logs it into his book I wouldn't think he has any possible way to start the process . I would believe you would need to also be there in person as you have to personally do the paperwork.

In reality one doesn't buy a firearm on line . You might pay for it and shipping but ownership goes from the seller to the FFL and doesn't transfer to you untill you satisfy
any federal,state and local requirements/paperwork.

Not even sure who owns it while it is in transfer to the FFL as he wouldn't own it until it goes into his book and I don't think that would happen untill he has it in his hand
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Until the FFL has the firearm in question in hand and logs it into his book I wouldn't think he has any possible way to start the process . I would believe you would need to also be there in person as you have to personally do the paperwork.

In reality one doesn't buy a firearm on line . You might pay for it and shipping but ownership goes from the seller to the FFL and doesn't transfer to you untill you satisfy
any federal,state and local requirements/paperwork.

Not even sure who owns it while it is in transfer to the FFL as he wouldn't own it until it goes into his book and I don't think that would happen untill he has it in his hand
View Quote

Seems like a risky process when you put it that way. What happens if the firearms is lost in shipping or something? Does the buyer eat it or the original shipper?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask local FFL....................I ordered from PSA...paid in before shipped.   Once FFL of my choice gets it, I have to fill out Federal form and FFL calls it in............usually a 30 minute process.
UNLESS.....you do it on a weekend.   The gun show checks will make it last two hours.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happens if the firearms is lost in shipping or something? Does the buyer eat it or the original shipper?
View Quote

BTDT as the seller.  The seller files an insurance claim with the carrier and sends you another gun.  Insist on insured shipping.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im new to buying online and was wondering if the background process if started after the shipper swaps info with my FFL or does it not atart until after it arrives to the place I have it shipped to?
View Quote

<----FFL
Your dealer cannot do the background check until after you complete the Form 4473.

Basically, do I have to wait an additional 5 days after shipping or was the background pricess already started? Thanks
View Quote

The Federal five day waiting period disappeared in 1986. You should contact a dealer in your state to see when the wait period begins (if your state even has one, most do not).

Quoted:
View Quote

Correct

In reality one doesn't buy a firearm on line .
View Quote

You might pay for it and shipping but ownership goes from the seller to the FFL .....
View Quote

100% wrong.
The buyer has ownership, the FFL has possession. All that is being transferred is the possession of the firearm.

View Quote

Buyer owns it the minute he pays for it.
The FFL never has an ownership interest in the firearm.

Quoted:
Seems like a risky process when you put it that way.
View Quote

He's wrong and it's not any riskier than any other online purchase.

What happens if the firearms is lost in shipping or something? Does the buyer eat it or the original shipper?
View Quote

Shipping insurance protects the seller, not the buyer. If the shipment never makes it to the destination, the seller owes you a refund. USPS/UPS/FedEx all allow shipper or recipient to file a claim for loss, damage or theft.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on who payed and if UCC applies.

And then you get to deal with CC terms if one was used.

It is far from a simple answer.

And you also get to learn about possession vs. ownership (title).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top