Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2016 6:04:39 AM EDT
I have been going back and forth with myself about starting an online tshirt website. I am in the research stage of this, and am now at trademarks. What is the procedure to file a trademark on a graphic design or phrase? Do I need an attorney to file each time I want a new design or is this something I can file myself?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been going back and forth with myself about starting an online tshirt website. I am in the research stage of this, and am now at trademarks. What is the procedure to file a trademark on a graphic design or phrase? Do I need an attorney to file each time I want a new design or is this something I can file myself?
View Quote

First learn the differences between trademarks and copyrights.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, copyright for graphics, but I would still want a trademark for my company name and logo, no? But to clarify the question, I guess I am looking at copyright information then, as I would want to protect intellectual property (if you can call a tshirt that).
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.copyright.gov has information on copyright.  It's form you fill out and pay $60, I think.  You can file trademarks yourself.  If you have a business the trademark office might require an attorney.  http://www.uspto.gov has information on trademarks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In many cases you end up needing both.

And while making sure you have copyright protection can be as low as free trademark registration costs money.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Copyright exists as soon as the expression is fixed in some physical medium (picture, book, etc.).  Registration of copyrights is not required for protection, but many do as a CYA thing.

Trademark is a different story, AFAIK protection doesn't begin until it's officially registered.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Copyright exists as soon as the expression is fixed in some physical medium (picture, book, etc.).  Registration of copyrights is not required for protection, but many do as a CYA thing.

Trademark is a different story, AFAIK protection doesn't begin until it's officially registered.
View Quote

Just to be clear, copyright protection exists from the moment the work is created in a fixed and tangible medium of expression. It doesn't have to published, etc.

There are eight categories of works that can be copyrighted. These categories are: (1) literary, musical, and dramatic works; (2) pantomimes and choreographic works; (3) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works; (4) sound recordings; (5) motion pictures and other AV works; (6) computer programs; (7) compilations of works and derivative works; and (8) architectural works.

The word “copyright” or © is no longer required for works to be copyright protected.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Protection begins at the filing of the application, pending successful outcome of the application.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Can I jump this thread please?

I have in mind a Tshirt design that will appeal to fans of a particular manufacturer.   It will not infringe on any TM or copyright.  

However, I have no doubt that said manufacturer will want that shirt design for themselves.  Said manufacturer has a history of using money and legal threats to get their way- in other words, I can't afford to even fight them, much less beat them.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have in mind a Tshirt design that will appeal to fans of a particular manufacturer.   It will not infringe on any TM or copyright.  

However, I have no doubt that said manufacturer will want that shirt design for themselves.  Said manufacturer has a history of using money and legal threats to get their way- in other words, I can't afford to even fight them, much less beat them.

Ideas?
View Quote

Not to sound like a dick, but don't pick a fight you know you can't win.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Protection begins at the filing of the application, pending successful outcome of the application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And enforcing either is at the cost of the holder.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ideas?

Not offended, thanks for the input.  That's been on my mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top