Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2016 6:04:19 PM EDT
So I recently stopped by and bought a lower from a manufacturer with the intentions of making it an SBR after my approval comes in. Looking at the already finished SBRs they had for sale, the upper I'm looking to purchase has an 11.5" barrel and a Magpul MOE SL adjustable buttstock. I'll be registering the SBR under my trust. This leaves 2 questions:

1.) With the stock collapsed, which is how I will shoot it, the overall length is 27.5". Fully extended, as is the ATF wording, is 30.5". The paperwork he pre-filled out for me is for 27.5", which seems wrong but this shop sells a lot more of these things than I've ever bough.

2.) Once my approval comes back and I purchase the specified upper, did I manufacture it and therefore must engrave it?

Thanks for any and all responses. I've tried searching and doing my due diligence but keep seeing conflicting answers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the fast response!! What if I don't want to mark up my receiver with my specific trust name for the sake of resale potential? Would I have to give the receiver back to the FFL I bought it from and let him hold it, with the upper, until a Form 4 is submitted and comes back? Or does that require additional engraving as well? It already has his manufacturing brand's name on it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your FFL is also a SOT, he can sell you a complete SBR on a form 4. The paperwork and process is pretty similar. Big change is if the manufacturer of the lower is also the SOT who manufactured the SBR (technically 2 different processes), the marks count for both.

But the thing of it is, SBR AR15s as a general rule don't really get resold that often. Practically anyone can "make" one, why buy one with someone else's name on it? If it's not a factory SBR, next best thing is having your info on it.

Other SBRs that are rare, unusual, or not really something you can do at home...those have resale value and show up for sale from time to time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the fast response!! What if I don't want to mark up my receiver with my specific trust name for the sake of resale potential? Would I have to give the receiver back to the FFL I bought it from and let him hold it, with the upper, until a Form 4 is submitted and comes back? Or does that require additional engraving as well? It already has his manufacturing brand's name on it.

If your FFL is also a SOT, he can sell you a complete SBR on a form 4. The paperwork and process is pretty similar. Big change is if the manufacturer of the lower is also the SOT who manufactured the SBR (technically 2 different processes), the marks count for both.

But the thing of it is, SBR AR15s as a general rule don't really get resold that often. Practically anyone can "make" one, why buy one with someone else's name on it? If it's not a factory SBR, next best thing is having your info on it.

Other SBRs that are rare, unusual, or not really something you can do at home...those have resale value and show up for sale from time to time.

Wait, the manufacturer of the lower is the FFL that sold it to me. However, he only sold me the lower to register as an SBR and to then come back to buy the upper. Does that mean the manufacturer's name, city, and serial numbers, who is also the FFL, can be used and engraving is not needed?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wait, the manufacturer of the lower is the FFL that sold it to me. However, he only sold me the lower to register as an SBR and to then come back to buy the upper. Does that mean the manufacturer's name, city, and serial numbers, who is also the FFL, can be used and engraving is not needed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if he is an SOT and he "makes" it into an SBR by attaching the short upper.  But, seeing as how he's already transferred the lower to you on a 4473 as a Title 1 lower means that's probably not going to fly.

I'm no expert in NFA and firearm manufacturing minutia, but for him to transfer it to you as a "factory" SBR you'd have to transfer it back to him, have him make the SBR under his FFL and SOT, and then transfer it back to you on a Form 4.  That's the only way I can see you avoiding the engraving (which really shouldn't be an issue).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top