Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 1:08:48 AM EDT
Yeah, I'm referring to the Ohio thing.  Knowing how the media likes to butcher terminology like "assault weapons" and "terror attacks", I was just wondering if they were doing the same thing with the Ohio situation for sensational purposes?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, "mass killing" involves 3 or more homicides in one event, or a closely connected series of events. "serial killing" involves 2 or more victims by a single killer at different times and/or places.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AFAIK, "mass killing" involves 3 or more homicides in one event, or a closely connected series of events. "serial killing" involves 2 or more victims by a single killer at different times and/or places.
View Quote

Almost correct - I think there has to be a definitive "cooling off" period between killings for the person to actually be classified as a "serial" killer. So going to Walmart, killing some folks, then driving to a neighboring county and shooting up your favorite bar would not count as a "serial killing" by FBI profilers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought that maybe because they were related that it fit a pattern.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm referring to the Ohio thing.  Knowing how the media likes to butcher terminology like "assault weapons" and "terror attacks", I was just wondering if they were doing the same thing with the Ohio situation for sensational purposes?
View Quote

FBI definition:

A mass murder as murdering four or more persons during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location where one or more people kill several others.

A serial killer is a person who murders three or more people, usually in service of abnormal psychological gratification, with the murders taking place over more than a month and including a significant break (a "cooling off period") between them
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top