Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 2:29:25 AM EDT
I understand there is a LE exemption for 922(r):

"(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof"

It is also my understanding that this exemption follows the firearm forever, and once assembled and initially transferred to a government entity, it may then be sold/transferred to anyone and never be subject to 922(r).

I see dealers offering 922(r) exempt firearms to individual LEO (and military) purchasers. Here is one example: http://www.lesalesusa.com/products/benelli.htm
The standard Individual Officer Purchase form is there, indicating the firearm will be used for official purposes. (I have also heard of them being sold simply to those displaying LE credentials or an active-duty CAC, although I have not verified this personally.)

My questions are:

1) Is my understanding about this permanent exemption status correct?

2) How could this exemption be verified at a later date? (either by federal agents, or perhaps an interested buyer)

3) What is the mechanism by which these individual officers (or servicemen) are allowed to purchase it themselves? I know the agency is basically giving them its blessing, but I don't see that specifically mentioned here. Is it mentioned elsewhere?

4) Could a re-configuration of such an exempted firearm by a later non-LE owner (or even while still in LE hands) ever affect its exempt status?

5) Are licensed manufacturers the only ones who can create such a 922(r) exempt firearm? Could one be created by the agency itself? (I know they can create everything else, tax-exempt.)

Could a gunsmith (Type 01 FFL) assemble one on behalf of an agency?

6) If I have a Type 07 FFL, can I assemble any non-922(r) compliant firearms and then sell them to individuals with LE and/or military credentials? Would I need to collect a form?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My questions are:

1) Is my understanding about this permanent exemption status correct?
Correct.

2) How could this exemption be verified at a later date? (either by federal agents, or perhaps an interested buyer)
A firearm trace would show xfer from 07 to LE Agency.

3) What is the mechanism by which these individual officers (or servicemen) are allowed to purchase it themselves? I know the agency is basically giving them its blessing, but I don't see that specifically mentioned here. Is it mentioned elsewhere?
There is not one. Agency has to buy it, then they get it from agency.

4) Could a re-configuration of such an exempted firearm by a later non-LE owner (or even while still in LE hands) ever affect its exempt status?
Possibly, but I cannot think of an example.

5) Are licensed manufacturers the only ones who can create such a 922(r) exempt firearm?
No.

Could one be created by the agency itself? (I know they can create everything else, tax-exempt.)
Yes

Could a gunsmith (Type 01 FFL) assemble one on behalf of an agency?
Yes

6) If I have a Type 07 FFL, can I assemble any non-922(r) compliant firearms and then sell them to individuals with LE and/or military credentials? Would I need to collect a form?

Already answered - 3

View Quote

BLUE - JMO
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, RenegadeX.

I noticed 18 USC 925 in this old thread about 922(r) exemption:

18 U.S. Code § 925
"(1) The provisions of this chapter, except for sections 922 (d)(9) and 922 (g)(9) and provisions relating to firearms subject to the prohibitions of section 922 (p), shall not apply with respect to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof."

This seems to answer my #3 question regarding the mechanism. It appears the "or issued for the use of" covers individual officers, and would in fact allow them direct individual purchase on letterhead authorization. Thoughts? This would be just like the officer buying any Title I firearm for duty use on IOP letter, where their agency says "It's for duty use," even though the individual is the immediate purchaser, correct? I believe both situations/occurrences are common practice.

This may also be where some interpret the law as indicating 922r-exempt individual sales are allowed even without the signed IOP authorization, since it does not specifically call for one (in contrast to the 1968 GCA exemption for selling [shipping] Title I duty-use firearms direct to an individual purchaser['s agency].) The more I read about Benelli M4's, the more I think that this is Benelli's interpretation regarding 922r exemption.

With regard to my questions #2 and 5, if the agency makes a 922r-exempt firearm from an existing Title I firearm previously subject to 922r, there would not necessarily be any traceable data to indicate it was ever under their direct ownership or control, unless of course the agency purchased a new firearm through the FFL manufacturer->FFL distributor chain, and then did this. That would merely indicate ownership, however, not anything about a 922r status change.

So could supporting documentation be the key to proving permanent exemption for future owners?

If an individual officer can personally buy one for duty use, could they not make one as well?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, RenegadeX.

I noticed 18 USC 925 in this old thread about 922(r) exemption:

18 U.S. Code § 925
"(1) The provisions of this chapter, except for sections 922 (d)(9) and 922 (g)(9) and provisions relating to firearms subject to the prohibitions of section 922 (p), shall not apply with respect to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof."

This seems to answer my #3 question regarding the mechanism. It appears the "or issued for the use of" covers individual officers, and would in fact allow them direct individual purchase on letterhead authorization. Thoughts? This would be just like the officer buying any Title I firearm for duty use on IOP letter, where their agency says "It's for duty use," even though the individual is the immediate purchaser, correct? I believe both situations/occurrences are common practice.

This may also be where some interpret the law as indicating 922r-exempt individual sales are allowed even without the signed IOP authorization, since it does not specifically call for one (in contrast to the 1968 GCA exemption for selling [shipping] Title I duty-use firearms direct to an individual purchaser['s agency].) The more I read about Benelli M4's, the more I think that this is Benelli's interpretation regarding 922r exemption.

I see your point about individual officers, but notice this would also mean you could make/sell machine guns to individual officers too, since 922(o) is not listed as a exception. If that were true, about every cop in the USA would have a machine gun. I would tread carefully as their may be relevant Case Law. I would just sell it to the agency and let them do as they wish.

With regard to my questions #2 and 5, if the agency makes a 922r-exempt firearm from an existing Title I firearm previously subject to 922r, there would not necessarily be any traceable data to indicate it was ever under their direct ownership or control, unless of course the agency purchased a new firearm through the FFL manufacturer->FFL distributor chain, and then did this. That would merely indicate ownership, however, not anything about a 922r status change.

So could supporting documentation be the key to proving permanent exemption for future owners?

The law does not require supporting documentation. The law only makes assembly illegal, once that is done possession is not outlawed.

If an individual officer can personally buy one for duty use, could they not make one as well?

Like I said, why stop there? Go Full-Auto too. Worked for those cops in Illinois. Judge ruled 922(o) did not apply.

View Quote

Honestly I do not see the profit potential for an FFL to get involved in this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly I do not see the profit potential for an FFL to get involved in this.
View Quote
I don't either. I'm not suggesting there would be. I'm a cop, so that's why I'm curious about all this.

I've purchased several IOP weapons on duty-use letterheads. I don't personally know anyone who's bought one of the LE Benelli's (or other restricted imports) but I read about it on the net all the time. I think the legal minutia of some of this stuff isn't explored much, since it only applies to cops. The IL case about the MG is an interesting read. 2006 arfcom thread

Individual full-autos would be nice. I see your point about treading carefully, as I certainly wouldn't want to be the test case in my circuit. Currently we know the ATF will not approve a post-86 MG transfer to an individual officer on a Form 5, nor will they approve a Form 1 filed in an individual's name for duty use, so the only way I could think of to try it would be for an agency to transfer a postie to an individual officer who holds a FFL/SOT as a Sole Proprieter. Then upon giving up the SOT, just keep it. I wouldn't want to try it though.

The law only makes assembly illegal, once that is done possession is not outlawed.

That's what makes 922r so weird, and the permanent exemption status hard to figure out.

Physically identical things could have a different legal status. There is no real way for anyone to verify that status, unless it's on a firearm which was manufactured exempt from the beginning.

For example:

Citizen Kane could purchase a Steyr USR, illegally swap an A3 stock and trigger pack onto it, then sell it to Joe. Joe is not breaking the law, since he merely possesses it now, and did not assemble it that way. Joe's firearm still remains subject to 922r, and is configured in violation of it. Now Joe wants to swap for an A2 barrel with a flash suppressor. If Joe does this, he would then have committed the same 922r violation as Kane. If Joe sells the firearm to Bob at the gunshow then Bob is legally in the clear, and happily enjoys his preban configured AUG receiver, never modifying its configuration for the rest of his life.

Start over:

Epic PD has SGT Tackleberry, who asks the Chief if he can private-purchase a USR off Gunbroker and use it as a duty weapon. Chief approves and signs off on Tacklberry's IOP letter, which is then sent to the selling FFL with SGT Tackleberry's payment. When the firearm arrives at EPD ATTN:Tackleberry, he sticks that USR in his patrol unit and off he goes to work. A week later Tackleberry is talking with the EPD armorer, who enlightens him on AUG A3 differences. Tackleberry wants his USR upgraded. Armorer replies "Bro, we got this..." and proceeds to install an A3 stock, trigger pack, and barrel on Tackleberry's rifle. It's now permanently exempt from 922(r). After a few months, Tackleberry sells his rifle so he can afford the premium doughnuts, and goes back to using an agency-owned Colt Commando for duty use.

If Fred is the fortunate private citizen who purchased Tackleberry's AUG, Fred may now swap parts around on this firearm however he wants. How could Fred prove it's permanently 922r-exempt unless he has some statement from the EPD armorer stating "I, EPD armorer, assembled this firearm serial 910USRXXX for LE duty use on this auspicious date." or something?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top