Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2016 6:30:35 PM EDT
I work for an armored truck service which falls into the Department of Transportation section. I've been told we get a guaranteed 40 hour work week worth of pay even if we don't work the full 40 hours but we don't receive OT pay until after 50. Now I'm told, they will not do the guaranteed 40 hours of pay and will still not pay any OT until after 50. Just looking to see if they are trying to slip one past everyone of if this is a legal way of paying wages. Last I checked, OT is to be paid after 40hrs but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure where you live. Here in N.C. we has a state labor board to contact. They will know the answer you seek.  Betting you are screwed by your company.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
From the US Dept. of Labor website:

"The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor
Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must
receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate
not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay."  You can go here and see if you are a "covered" employee. http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/scope/screen9.asp

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends in part on the weight of the vehicles you drive.  There's an exemption to the Fair Labor Standards Act (fed law mandating OT at 40 hours) contained in the Motor Carrier Act. If you're driving trucks over 10,000 lbs, you may fall under an exemption from the FLSA.  

Talk to the DOL and they'll set you straight.  You can find the local office on this website: http://www.dol.gov/whd/

There's been a fair amount of litigation under the FLSA involving armored vehicle drivers.  http://www.law360.com/articles/427614/armored-car-driver-not-flsa-exempt-judge-rules; http://www.bna.com/drivers-armored-cars-n17179924660/

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a Contract saying you will be paid 40hrs?

No

SOL.

Yes.

Let them screw you and lawyer up.

As for Overtime. Call your labor Board.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No

SOL.

Yes.

View Quote

Yes I signed something saying I agree with my wage and the 40 hr guarantee but I haven't signed anything about the changes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes I signed something saying I agree with my wage and the 40 hr guarantee but I haven't signed anything about the changes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

SOL.

Yes.

If they made a change and notified you you assented to the change by not quitting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If they made a change and notified you you assented to the change by not quitting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

SOL.

Yes.

Depending on how far OP wants ot take it that's a question for a jury.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top