Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2016 9:35:36 AM EDT
I live in the commie state of New York. Is it legal for me to purchase an ar15 in Pennsylvania ? Not saying I'd take it back to NY, probably going to South Carolina with it, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard various opinions on this.  If the rifle is never going to be taken into occupied territory, then I don't think there's any legal reason for a shop to not sell it to you.  Most shops won't, though.  The rifle is legal where it is being purchased, by someone who is allowed to purchase it.  NY laws don't apply in PA.  

But, I may be thinking too logical on this.  

ETA:  I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Residency issue yada yada.

Just wait until you move to SC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard various opinions on this.  If the rifle is never going to be taken into occupied territory, then I don't think there's any legal reason for a shop to not sell it to you.  Most shops won't, though.  The rifle is legal where it is being purchased, by someone who is allowed to purchase it.  NY laws don't apply in PA.  

But, I may be thinking too logical on this.  

ETA:  I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

View Quote

Federal law requires the sale to comply with the residence state of the buyer AND the laws of the state where the transfer takes place. There have been instances where people have been prosecuted under federal law for unlawful transfer laws in similar situations.  (e.g. Connecticut resident purchasing an assault weapon as defined by Connecticut law in PA, in violation of the general prohibition imposed on such transfers in CT and without be subject to any exemptions)
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]

But nothing prevents one legally from buying a stripped lower in their home state, take it to a free state and build up an evil assault weapon, leaving it stored in the free state.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I contacted cabelas in Hamburg Pa. And was told the only ar they could sell a NYS resident was a NY compliant model which they did not have. Oh well maybe someday the communist regime will be toppled in NY and we'll be treated like Americans again
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I contacted cabelas in Hamburg Pa. And was told the only ar they could sell a NYS resident was a NY compliant model which they did not have. Oh well maybe someday the communist regime will be toppled in NY and we'll be treated like Americans again
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
NY laws don't apply in PA
View Quote

But federal law apply.
And an FFL has to obey both state's laws.

Move to a more civilized place.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But federal law apply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But federal law apply.

Really?  Seems a bit onerous to require a small business be aware of the gun laws of every state/county/city in this country.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Really?  Seems a bit onerous to require a small business be aware of the gun laws of every state/county/city in this country.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But federal law apply.

That's why BATFE sends a book/CD to every FFL with all the gun laws of every state that affect sales. The fact that probably 99.5% of FFLs never open it to read those laws is not for lack of info. You can't fix stupid.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Or you can put the FFL at risk at the next 'inspection' of his records.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top