Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 9:39:28 PM EDT
I'm ordering a bunch (~40) of stripped AR-15 lowers in the wake of this last shooting. Paranoid perhaps, but I figured why not. My question is, is the ATF going to come crashing into my living room to check up on me or some similar? Do they ever follow up on large gun purchases?

Thanks guys,

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they may follow up.  They won't come crashing in.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm ordering a bunch (~40) of stripped AR-15 lowers in the wake of this last shooting. Paranoid perhaps, but I figured why not. My question is, is the ATF going to come crashing into my living room to check up on me or some similar? Do they ever follow up on large gun purchases?

Thanks guys,

View Quote

In most cases they will not know till years later. They may or may not ask questions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Expect a visit.  FFL has reporting requirements pertaining to multiple purchases.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You will be watched.

I have heard that even if you do, say 5 at a time but do 40 in a short amount of time, say 2 months. They will still look at you. I had this conversation with my FFL a few months ago. They came for an audit and said some crazy things like who is this person? Do they always buy this many guns at a time? (they were lowers) What kind of person are they? Said they flipped through all of his 4473's and his log books. He's not a big dealer and they were there for 3 days.

ETA: Like RenX said, it may not be for a few years, but they may audit your FFL in a month.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Expect a visit.  FFL has reporting requirements pertaining to multiple purchases.
View Quote

Not for lowers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok good to know. So sometime in the next month to a couple years I'll have the ATF watching me/showing up at my door to ask questions. Haha great

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm ordering a bunch (~40) of stripped AR-15 lowers in the wake of this last shooting. Paranoid perhaps, but I figured why not. My question is, is the ATF going to come crashing into my living room to check up on me or some similar? Do they ever follow up on large gun purchases?...
View Quote

ATF won't know about it. There is no requirement for the dealer to report multiple purchases of frames, receivers or AR lowers.

Quoted:
View Quote

Really?
How they gonna know?

Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong.
Licensees must report the multiple sale of handguns and in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report the multiple sale of certain rifles.
There is no requirement to report the sale of frames/receivers/lowers because they are not handguns or long guns.

Quoted:
You will be watched.

I have heard that even if you do, say 5 at a time but do 40 in a short amount of time, say 2 months. They will still look at you. I had this conversation with my FFL a few months ago. They came for an audit and said some crazy things like who is this person? Do they always buy this many guns at a time? (they were lowers) What kind of person are they? Said they flipped through all of his 4473's and his log books. He's not a big dealer and they were there for 3 days.

ETA: Like RenX said, it may not be for a few years, but they may audit your FFL in a month.
View Quote

Almost. There is no magic number that gets ATF's attention during a compliance inspection.
Several years ago, I transferred a hundred stripped AR lowers to a guy who had bought them online. His "expert" friend (an ARFcommer) advised him that Obama was going to outlaw AR's.

At my compliance inspection a year later, ATF asked for a copy of that Form 4473 and sent the buyer/transferee a cease and desist letter...........meaning he could only dispose of those lowers through a licensed dealer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
So wouldn't that letter mean that they can't transfer anymore? Or was he reselling the lowers?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So wouldn't that letter mean that they can't transfer anymore? Or was he reselling the lowers?
View Quote

They can transfer, but only through a licensed dealer.
ATF IOI said it appeared as if he was not buying for his own use/collection but to resell for profit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will be watched.

View Quote

It may happen at other than a simple compliance inspection.  We had FBI show up with a warrant for our books.  While the agent was looking specifically for one dude, he ended up looking at every book since the transfers did go back for several years, and he noted the info for several other high-volume buyers.  When the same name/date/4473 number shows up on 4-5 pages straight of the A&D log it will attract unwanted attention.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ATF IOI said it appeared as if he was not buying for his own use/collection but to resell for profit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no plans to resell/regift any of these. That being said how would they be convinced of that-might they issue the same letter to myself? If so, do I just have to stop buying guns?

For what it's worth I have these going to a mix of 4 FFL dealers (15, 15, 10, 3). The reason for that is a mix of shopping around for the lowest rate, one of the FFL guys said he'd only do 3, and a surprise check coming through. I suppose that increases my odds for being pulled in an audit, but lessens the amount of scrutiny I'd receive per FFL?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It may happen at other than a simple compliance inspection.  We had FBI show up with a warrant for our books.  While the agent was looking specifically for one dude, he ended up looking at every book since the transfers did go back for several years, and he noted the info for several other high-volume buyers.  When the same name/date/4473 number shows up on 4-5 pages straight of the A&D log it will attract unwanted attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will be watched.

So they can write down my information and serial numbers based on someone else's warrant!?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So they can write down my information and serial numbers based on someone else's warrant!?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will be watched.

They don't need a warrant to look at the FFL's books.  That's their job...they inspect things....like record keeping being up to standards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have no plans to resell/regift any of these. That being said how would they be convinced of that-might they issue the same letter to myself? If so, do I just have to stop buying guns?

For what it's worth I have these going to a mix of 4 FFL dealers (15, 15, 10, 3). The reason for that is a mix of shopping around for the lowest rate, one of the FFL guys said he'd only do 3, and a surprise check coming through. I suppose that increases my odds for being pulled in an audit, but lessens the amount of scrutiny I'd receive per FFL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They issued the cease and desist letter because they suspected my customer intended to resell the lowers for profit. While one or two or three isn't/shouldn't be a problem, one hundred definitely was seen as engaging in the repetitive buying and selling of firearms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They don't need a warrant to look at the FFL's books.  That's their job...they inspect things....like record keeping being up to standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will be watched.

ATF doesn't need a warrant, but the FBI would. The FBI doesn't do my compliance inspections......ATF does.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FBI needs a warrant to see my books. YMMV.

Obviously they have guns and if they are going to write down SNs, they are going to. Whether it holds up down the road in a criminal case is another matter, given how goofy are legal system is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really?
How they gonna know?

Several years ago, I transferred a hundred stripped AR lowers to a guy who had bought them online. His "expert" friend (an ARFcommer) advised him that Obama was going to outlaw AR's.

At my compliance inspection a year later, ATF asked for a copy of that Form 4473 and sent the buyer/transferee a cease and desist letter...........meaning he could only dispose of those lowers through a licensed dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?
How they gonna know?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will be watched.

Yep.  The warrant was for my books and 4473's, they got to look at my books and 4473's.

They even rang the doorbell too instead of kicking in my door, the slackers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think you're way over-thinking this... If you aren't re-selling for profit (or at all), then there is nothing to worry about. Said C&D letter is meaningless (and about as scary as a Hillary Clinton fridge magnet), since it wouldn't apply to you. If they think you're doing something illegal, they'd build a case against you before deciding to charge you with a crime. No crime = no evidence = no case = no charges. So what do you have to fear? A phone call or some questions? You don't have to stop buying guns unless you become a "prohibited person". I don't see any legal risk in buying 100+ lowers for personal use, if that's your goal.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not for lowers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for lowers.

According to my FFL when I bought several from AIM they do. Was bitching about the paperwork as he was filling it out.

ETA:

I see he was likely full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

According to my FFL when I bought several from AIM they do. Was bitching about the paperwork as he was filling it out.

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for lowers.

ETA:

Just another in a long list of ffls who cannot read the instructions on the form.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will be watched.

Yeah, some danm ATFer would show up at my hosue wanting to play with MY toys...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top