Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2015 10:28:15 AM EDT
Have a question about a co-buyer loan that my GF signed for. I have a 2015 Harley Dyna. Harley was going to finance me, higher rate and $ down.
GF has perfect credit and she offered to co-sign. Gave me a .99% rate and no $ down.

Looking at the title, they have it as a co buyer....that being said, I assume she is co-owner? That doesn't sit well with me, because if shit goes south
with us, does that mean she has claims to the bike, even if I am making the payments on time?

What are my options? This is in Georgia, google search wasn't helpful.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that will be 50/50. You should've told the dealer to leave her off the titling paperwork. If the finance company will temporarily send you the title, she can take her name off, if the bank will allow it. Then you send the title back to them.

That is if GA will allow it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, when this was done, their finance guy was saying co-sign-and co-borrow was basically the same...I just got to looking at the paperwork and saw how it was
written. Not real happy with his word games and BS.

Not that I plan on splitting up any time with my GF. But you never know...and 5 years is a LONG time to bicker over a bike IF we don't make it as a couple.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
We would have told your girlfriend not to do either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
She could be a co-borrower (on the debt) and not be on the title (not an owner). You'll need to look at both the title and the note.

You can always re-finance if you think it could be an issue in the future.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She could be a co-borrower (on the debt) and not be on the title (not an owner). You'll need to look at both the title and the note.

You can always re-finance if you think it could be an issue in the future.
View Quote

Just have the bill of sale, which she is on. So I assume she is 1/2 owner. Not an issue now....but you never know
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We would have told your girlfriend not to do either.
View Quote

QFT.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Co borrow sounds like you both agree to borrow the money and implies co ownership.

Co signer means she agrees to pay the loan back if you default and doesn't mean anything regarding ownership.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top