Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2015 8:53:14 PM EDT
I'm currently in New Mexico for work and I've just been laid off. I'm moving to Massachusetts in a few weeks (I know, ew.) and I need to sell my Sig because I am unable to bring it there thanks to their unconstitutional laws. Any way, I can't seem to find any where the legality of selling a firearm to a gun store in a state that you are not a resident. I know you can't buy from them, but I am unsure if I can sell to them. Thank you in advance for your replies
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you so much
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Come to ND we have lots of jobs and no unconstitutional gun laws. But the above post is correct. I was in Fargo Moorhead last week and counted more 350 help wanted signs. Lots of professional jobs as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry to hear of your fateful decision to move to Commiechusetts, you WILL regret it.

To your point, you CAN legally bring any gun (not fitting the MA definition of "AW") into MA with you when you move in. The EOPS List of tested handguns ONLY applies to "purveyors of handguns" (MA translation - MA licensed DEALER) and NOT to ownership or private sales between 2 MA residents with LTCs. Ref: MGL C. 140 S. 123

Mags are another story however, no mags made after 9/13/1994 that hold more than 10 rds (rifle/pistol) or 5 rds (shotgun) are legal to possess in MA. Possession is a felony. Ref: MGL C. 140 S. 131M

Hook up with us in the MA gun laws forum (read the stickies, lots of good info there) on northeastshooters.com to educate yourself on MA gun laws. I actually teach a 5+ hr seminar on the subject here and that covers the intricacies that you don't learn in the class you take to get a LTC in MA.

So do not sell your guns, bring them with you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

... A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. ...

I was going to transfer a pistol to my brother in Virginia.  Had a dealer there tell me that he could not receive a pistol FROM ME, a nonresident, even if in person.  I would have to have it shipped from a Tennessee dealer.  Tried to explain, but you was wasting my time dealing with a fool.

Even the dealer who made the transfer thought it was legal for me to give it to my brother under the "family member exception".  I asked him to find it in his rulebook.  After a few minutes, he gave up and said "it's in there somewhere".  He also wanted to charge sales tax based on the value of the pistol, but that's another story.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was going to transfer a pistol to my brother in Virginia.  Had a dealer there tell me that he could not receive a pistol FROM ME, a nonresident, even if in person.  I would have to have it shipped from a Tennessee dealer.  Tried to explain, but you was wasting my time dealing with a fool.

Even the dealer who made the transfer thought it was legal for me to give it to my brother under the "family member exception".  I asked him to find it in his rulebook.  After a few minutes, he gave up and said "it's in there somewhere".  He also wanted to charge sales tax based on the value of the pistol, but that's another story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

... A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. ...

Fed Law has NO family exemptions. Any transfers between two people who do not live in the same state MUST go thru an FFL in the state of the new owner, only exception is for inheritance (and only when "left" to the other party by some documentation or statutory succession). Only one FFL (new owner state) is required by law, but many FFLs "protect their own" and require FFL to FFL transfers to jack up fees/cost.

Ref: 922(a)(3) and 478.29 - other sections may also contain info on this, references are out of the index for ATF Pub 5300.4, Fed Firearms Regulations Reference Guide.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that's sort of why I used a dealer to make the transfer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Some places have their own laws regarding FFL's receiving guns from out of state people.

You can't transfer any gun to an FFL in connecticut unless you are a resident of CT, FFL's in NY cant receive a handgun from out of state unless it comes from another FFL.

Even though fed law and the ATF say no problem, there are many places that have laws and regulations that are much more strict on transfers. Some state level, some only county, some even at the local town level.

I cant speak as to the laws and regs in VA, but any dealer also has the right to refuse a transfer from anyone for any reason...
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some places have their own laws regarding FFL's receiving guns from out of state people.

You can't transfer any gun to an FFL in connecticut unless you are a resident of CT, FFL's in NY cant receive a handgun from out of state unless it comes from another FFL.

Even though fed law and the ATF say no problem, there are many places that have laws and regulations that are much more strict on transfers. Some state level, some only county, some even at the local town level.

I cant speak as to the laws and regs in VA, but any dealer also has the right to refuse a transfer from anyone for any reason...
View Quote

That's not true.
Top Top