Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2015 7:08:31 PM EDT

My Brother-in-law is in the middle of getting his green card.  He has told his (US born)16yr old daughter that she can not get a job until she is 18 because it will mess up his ability to get said green card.  Smells like bs to me!  They don't want her to work because they don't want her to have anything. We currently have temporary custody of her and think it would be good for her to have a summer job.  I don't want to mess up anything with his immigration status though.

Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like BS to me also.
One has nothing to do with the other.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought.  Doesn't make sense why they are against her having a job...
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah .... that is a total crock!

Not sure why they would be against a job but.........
Sometimes immigrants will believe rumors they hear from their friends rather than what an immigration lawyer tells them. (been there / done that)
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit: Legal aspects of my reply taken to private message.

I am leaving this:

And who the heck would not want a teenager to work so she can pay for her own things? That alone makes him sound unstable!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Daughter is a US citizen, her employment status won't even be available to CIS, much less relevant.

Eta: he'll be applying based on his wife's citizenship anyway unless he wants more trouble.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
The daughter is the classic 'anchor baby.'

We are loath to break up a family so mom and dad get some advantages.

It would take a major change to birthright citizenship to alter this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am leaving this:

And who the heck would not want a teenager to work so she can pay for her own things? That alone makes him sound unstable!
View Quote

A lot of people receiving benefits will tell their kids similar things, even when the particular programs that they are on have specific exclusions for the child's income if certain conditions are met.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A lot of people receiving benefits will tell their kids similar things, even when the particular programs that they are on have specific exclusions for the child's income if certain conditions are met.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am leaving this:

I started mowing lawns when I was eight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top