Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2015 8:18:12 PM EDT
Inquiring minds must know.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you patent an invention that depends on another patented invention, and you want to use the other patent, I suppose that you could attempt to license its use, just as anybody else who wants to use it might do.

(I am not a lawyer - twenty years ago I passed the USPTO patent bar exam, but I do not work professionally in the patent field.)

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
IP Law?

Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Inquiring minds must know.
View Quote

Your question does not make any sense.  A patent describes an invention. The claims of your invention, if they depend upon another patent's claims, are still patentable.

You just can't practice your patent without a license of the senior patent.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You license the previous work.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You describe it as background technology your patent application. But that wasn't the question you were asking, was it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You describe it as background technology your patent application. But that wasn't the question you were asking, was it?
View Quote

Does nothing to create a license.
You PAY to get a license.
It will limit the value of the patent you obtain.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP didn't ask about a license, or a product; OP asked about "another patent."
MPEP 608.01(c)
MPEP 608.01(c)   Background of the Invention
The Background of the Invention may include the following parts:
(1) Field of the Invention: A statement of the field of art to which the invention pertains. This statement may include a paraphrasing of the applicable U.S. patent classification definitions. The statement should be directed to the subject matter of the claimed invention.
(2) Description of the related art including information disclosed under 37 CFR 1.97 and 37 CFR 1.98: A paragraph(s) describing to the extent practical the state of the prior art or other information disclosed known to the applicant, including references to specific prior art or other information where appropriate. Where applicable, the problems involved in the prior art or other information disclosed which are solved by the applicant’s invention should be indicated. See also MPEP § 608.01(a), § 608.01(p) and § 707.05(b).

Had OP asked: "How do I use a patented product in another product?" -- "Get a license." could be a possible answer.
Invalidate the patent through the reexamination process would be another possibility.
A third option would be consult with your patent attorney to determine if the claims in the patent actually read on the product you want to make/use/sell.

I suspect OP will never reappear and we'll never know the rest of the story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top