Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2015 9:14:22 PM EDT
So, we filed our taxes and got a rejection notice from the IRS, on the basis that someone else had already filed using one of our dependent's SSN (my step-daughter).

The order in-place with regards to this, is that they claim her as the dependent on alternating years. In the order, it states that the parent claiming the dependency must be current on child-support "through the tax year" in question and at the time of filing. My interpretation of this is that you have to have paid the child support due during the tax-year, and this year to the point of filing. Basically, you can't have any past-due support when you file. Tell me if you feel I am interpreting this wrong.

My wife received an e-mail from douche-bag supreme stating that he had claimed the dependent because my wife was not current for the entirety of the tax year. This is true, as we had fallen a little behind mid-year, but caught up in October and have been paying-in to the child support account 1 month in advance since Oct.

Now the second question I have is that he filed on my wife's year when there is no provision for this in the order. It states that he claims on odd-years and she claims on even-years. Nowhere in the single paragraph regarding this, is there any provision made for either parent to file on the other parent's year, even if the original parent wasn't able to claim the dependency due to being behind on support (which is not the case).

Monetarily, the difference on our return between getting the dependency or not, is equal to 5 months of support payments. So he gets a tax credit worth 5 months of child-support because we were late making our payment for a few months?
It wouldn't be the first time he has pulled a fast one and tried to claim that an order said something that it didn't. Are we in the right or does the bastard really get to take us for a ride when we do not owe this life-long scum-bag, ass-hole a single cent?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A Wisconsin lawyer would need to read the entire paragraph verbatim to give you any useful advice.

What is the lossed value from the deduction?  Is it worth it to hire a lawyer?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
he has stolen from you.

get him
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is they have to have custody or care for at least 6mo out of the year to claim.. Child support doesn't make a difference... Actual care for the dependent does..
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Wisconsin lawyer would need to read the entire paragraph verbatim to give you any useful advice.

What is the lossed value from the deduction?  Is it worth it to hire a lawyer?
View Quote

Hire a lawyer? No.
The value of the deduction for us is a bit over $1k. Too much to just let it go, but a lawyer would eat it up before breakfast.
Our plan is to take it in and just have someone look at it and give an opinion. Many places will at least give you a consult without charging an arm and a leg. Gonna make a couple phone calls in the A.M.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My understanding is they have to have custody or care for at least 6mo out of the year to claim.. Child support doesn't make a difference... Actual care for the dependent does..
View Quote

In order to claim something like an EIC credit, you are correct, but simply claiming the dependency exemption isn't subject to those restrictions. Either parent can claim the dependent exemption, and it is something that is either mediated on or ordered, as in this case.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea I think this is right. The IRS doesn't give a flip what that state court order says. If you don't qualify under IRS rules for the exemption you don't qualify.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yea I think this is right. The IRS doesn't give a flip what that state court order says. If you don't qualify under IRS rules for the exemption you don't qualify.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess we'll see. Fwiw, Turbo Tax asks you if you had placement of the dependent for 50% of the year or not, and answering "no" as we did, it still allowed us to take the exemption that is in question. EIC is another story, as you cannot take that unless you had placement for greater than 50% of the year. Either way, it is a joint custody/placement situation, and while her father does have her for more time than we do, we have had no problem claiming the exemption in previous years that we were allowed, per the mediated agreement.
H&R Block did our taxes in some previous years, and they never had issue with this either.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IRS does not care about what a state court order says.  They only care when a child is claimed twice. The first parent to file their taxes usually wins with the IRS.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The IRS does not care about what a state court order says.  They only care when a child is claimed twice. The first parent to file their taxes usually wins with the IRS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had this happen to me once...

OP, you have 2 issues, one is a family court matter where you contend your settlement agreement wasn't followed.  The other is with the IRS.

As far as the IRS is concerned, you can take the exemption on your taxes if you are legally entitled to it under the IRS rules (which I recall as more than 50% support for more than 6 months) or the other parent waives their right to take the exemption pursuant to a divorce agreement.

Assuming you qualify to take the exemption under the current IRS rules, you could pick your fight with the ex through the IRS otherwise you will have to pick your fight in family court.

As the person I quoted said, the first person to take the exemption normally wins and the penalty for losing can be harsh with penalties, interest and non-monetary penalties (like if you are say you are eligible for EIC because of the kid and you lose, you won't be able for take it again for a while).

In my case she filed first using the exemption in my year so I picked my fight through the IRS by filing my return claiming him too and waiting for the letter from the IRS.  The IRS assumes that the first person is the correct one so I had to prove I was entitled to it under the IRS rules.

I ended up sending them all the documents they requested and the IRS sent me a letter allowing my taking of the exemption.  I expected them to go after her but in the end, they let her keep it and merely sent her a warning not to do it again.

Note: The documents the IRS wanted didn't really show the things the law required (like where he slept each night) but I suppose that the IRS wanted them since they were easier to prove.  For example, I had to send documents from my child's doctor which showed that my name and address were on his medical records.  Also I had to send school records that showed my name and address.  The idea being that the IRS assumed that since my name and address were the ones used on available records then the kid must live with me.  I had other records including journals and calendars as to where the kid was each night but the IRS didn't care.  I had the journals because the ex kept giving up her visitation and if she were to fall below a certain percentage of the nights, so under Florida law that would change the child support numbers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like he filed a false tax return, and that is a Federal Felony. See if there is an IRS tip line and maybe you can get a reward too boot.

BTW who files tax returns in January other than Felix Unger? I still do not even have all my forms yet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It wouldn't be the first time he has pulled a fast one and tried to claim that an order said something that it didn't. Are we in the right or does the bastard really get to take us for a ride when we do not owe this life-long scum-bag, ass-hole a single cent?
View Quote

My understanding is that the IRS has its own rules for the deduction and they don't give a shit what the court order says, whoever had the kid for the majority of the year gets it it under federal law.

OTOH if the ex is in the habit of violating the court order then you need to prepare to hit him with motion of contempt or it ain't gonna stop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My understanding is that the IRS has its own rules for the deduction and they don't give a shit what the court order says, whoever had the kid for the majority of the year gets it it under federal law.

View Quote

The IRS has an exception for children of divorced or separated parents.

See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf near the end of the 1st column on page 14.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I had this happen with my ex once. I had to submit my taxes via snail mail and had to include the divorce agreement showing I was entitled to claim the exemption that year. My accountant filed it for me, I believe there may have been an additional form to fill out as well. It wasn't a huge deal just annoying and took longer than usual to receive my returns.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I would not even consider getting in the sights of the IRS for a grand.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#15]
He might be right, but I would interpret it to mean that you were caught up on or before 12/31 of the tax year being claimed. I could see his stance if you only caught up on or after the new year, but not if you caught up before the new tax year started as you would have incurred the expenses in the tax year the dependent was claimed. Either way, you will spend more than 1k getting it straightened out.

Who drafted the language? It was poorly done. Maybe they can interpret for you?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I took a stack of IRS form 8332, prefilled for my ex who was the custodial parent dated for every other year and had her sign them all... after that, I got my every-other-year deduction like clockwork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top