Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2015 9:53:58 PM EDT
My Dad passed away a while back. My Mom, who is also deceased, kept a copy of an old (1972) life insurance policy in his name. The company was bought our several times. How do I determine if the policy is still valid? I made a couple of calls, but got nowhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss.

Google might be helpful in tracking down who owns the company now.

I found something similar (an uncashed insurance check for $600+) when my Father passed away. I was able to find the next company in succession but my letter was returned "addressee unknown" and I never bothered pursuing it any further.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I would call the state in which Dad lived/died - the insurance commission- and inquire.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Start with his state's lost property database, usually in the Secretary of State's office.

You can also pay for a search:
http://www.mib.com/lost_life_insurance.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would call the state in which Dad lived/died - the insurance commission- and inquire.
View Quote

I like this idea.

Also many years ago I recall seeing a large book in a reference library called "Who Owns Whom". I think it was a Dun & Bradstreet book. That may well hold the key to the current company info. A college or large city library would likely have this book available to peruse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top