Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 12:15:32 PM EDT
I have an in-law that lives in another state.  They'll be here around the holidays and I'd like to give him a rifle.  Can I do this in a F2F transaction or do we need to go through an FFL?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Interstate = FFL
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Does his state share a border with your state?

Hasn't the ATF said something about adjacent states?

Can someone more edumacated on the matter chime in?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You can loan it to him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How about the ATF? Source

May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?

Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an
individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person
to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must
be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or
she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a
NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov
and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception
from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes.
Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another
exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or
acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a
nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!  I'll do the xfer through an FFL in his state.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The contiguous state restriction died in 1986 with the passage of FOPA. It restricted long gun sales by dealers to residents of their state and contiguous states.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The contiguous state restriction died in 1986 with the passage of FOPA. It restricted long gun sales by dealers to residents of their state and contiguous states.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federally, yes.  I think federal law now says that long guns are fair game anywhere as long as the sale is legal in the buyer's home state and the state the sale takes place in.  For example, OH law restricts long gun sales to within Ohio or a contiguous state.  A Texas resident cannot legally buy a long gun in Ohio, nor can an Ohio resident legally buy a long gun in Texas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top