Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 11:39:13 PM EDT
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light. I've never had any problems with NICS. Recently I purchased four firearms over the span of several months. Two of which have been at my LGS that calls in to NICS, and the other two were at a place that enters the info online.

Both times, the phone in place got a "hold for further review." The person was then put on hold, and a few minutes later, I was approved.

Both times, the place that enters it online got an instant approval.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Absolutely nothing has changed in my "criminal" status. Meaning I have not had any run ins with the law. Why is the phone in getting further review but the online getting instant approval? If there was some sort of issue, you would think that merely entering my info online would also result in the need for further review.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light. I've never had any problems with NICS. Recently I purchased four firearms over the span of several months. Two of which have been at my LGS that calls in to NICS, and the other two were at a place that enters the info online.

Both times, the phone in place got a "hold for further review." The person was then put on hold, and a few minutes later, I was approved.

Both times, the place that enters it online got an instant approval.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Absolutely nothing has changed in my "criminal" status. Meaning I have not had any run ins with the law. Why is the phone in getting further review but the online getting instant approval? If there was some sort of issue, you would think that merely entering my info online would also result in the need for further review.
View Quote

<----FFL
When using the online NICS Echeck the dealer obviously does not hear or see what is happening when a check is submitted....all he gets is the transaction result and NTN (NICS Transaction Number).

When calling FBI NICS, the call is taken by a customer service representative at one of the contracted call centers. If the check returns multiple records with prohibiting information, the call is forwarded to an FBI NICS Legal Documents Examiner who is authorized to make a decision on the transaction. After reviewing the records the Examiner will give a status as Proceed, Delayed or Denied. If Delayed they will give the dealer a date after which the firearm may be transferred.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

But why would there suddenly be records with prohibiting information? It is possible that my past records were only recently sent to the NICS database, but the only thing in my past is a violation (disturbing the peace) and driving while suspended, neither of which is remotely prohibiting. And as I mentioned, I have had no run ins with the law in the last 20+ years. What could possibly explain it?

EDIT: wanted to add that the online checks come back with an instant approval...no hesitation. I was standing there both times. He hit submit...stared at the screen for a second or two, and said, "We're good to go."  If the same thing is going on just behind the scenes, shouldn't it take longer? Shouldn't the automated system summon an FBI agent to review something?

EDIT 2: Also, I always provide my social security number, and the FFL reads it to the person on the phone, so confusing me with another person with my name is not likely.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe someone else with your name is showing up on the search.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't the social security number squash that?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's really an issue you'd get a non conditional approval. You wouldn't be able to get the gun the same day. If someone does have a name similar to yours than I suggest getting a Personal Identification Number.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks.

But why would there suddenly be records with prohibiting information?
How many people named "Bill Wallace" are there in the US? When they run your name it may return a number of Bill, Billy, Billie, Will, William or Willie Wallace. The Examiner determines whether your info matches the ones who are prohibited.

It is possible that my past records were only recently sent to the NICS database, but the only thing in my past is a violation (disturbing the peace) and driving while suspended, neither of which is remotely prohibiting. And as I mentioned, I have had no run ins with the law in the last 20+ years. What could possibly explain it?
It's not you because you were transferred the gun. It's because of the other Bill Wallace.

EDIT: wanted to add that the online checks come back with an instant approval...no hesitation. I was standing there both times. He hit submit...stared at the screen for a second or two, and said, "We're good to go."  If the same thing is going on just behind the scenes, shouldn't it take longer? Shouldn't the automated system summon an FBI agent to review something?
The Echeck skips the call center customer service rep. Most of the wait time on a phone check is in having the call transferred. The actual decision by the Examiner usually takes less than twenty seconds. When they aren't reviewing phone transactions they are processing the online transactions.

EDIT 2: Also, I always provide my social security number, and the FFL reads it to the person on the phone, so confusing me with another person with my name is not likely.SSN is only one part of the identifying information given to NICS. It doesn't automatically give you a proceed. The NICS examiner still has to make the decision.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I understand it better now, thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top