Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 3:28:03 PM EDT
I am a sophomore in college and working on a feasibility report for my English class. My report is if it is feasible for me to 3d print an ar lower. Now this is just a report I am not actually doing this, let me just clear that up. im looking in to the legal issue and all though there is nothing saying you cant 3d print a lower I cant just say that in the report. I had come across The Undetectable Firearms Act and was reading it. I was having some trouble understanding it. I was hoping that you guys could help me out with this.
Thanks,
Nate
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am a sophomore in college and working on a feasibility report for my English class. My report is if it is feasible for me to 3d print an ar lower. Now this is just a report I am not actually doing this, let me just clear that up. im looking in to the legal issue and all though there is nothing saying you cant 3d print a lower I cant just say that in the report. I had come across The Undetectable Firearms Act and was reading it. I was having some trouble understanding it. I was hoping that you guys could help me out with this.

Thanks,

Nate
View Quote

This has been posted many times but here's a link: Glock 7. The legislation you mention originally, in part, came into existence because of that movie clip. Some of the people we elect are a bit shy on smarts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undetectable_Firearms_Act

I remember some of the rhetoric that was thrown out at the time. Apparently the Glock 17 and mythical Glock 7 from the movie are easily confused. I do remember seeing a news segment where someone stood up on congress and made reference to the movie gun, The talking head mentioned after the video on the news that the movie gun didn't exist.
The basics are that a 3D lower is legal as long as here is a certain amount of metal in it. IIRC using a nail as a firing pin covers that base.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top