Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 8:17:14 PM EDT
My wife got in an accident almost a month ago. Multi-time loser failed to yield in a left when she was half way through the intersection, she almost managed to swerve, but t-boned him with her passenger side front corner. We agreed to a settlement for medical, and the vehicle yesterday, verbally. (Two separate settlements.) I haven't received the settlement offer in writing for the van, but I'm curious about the settlement offer for medical. If I sign and return it, it would seem to exempt them from having to actually pay for the van, or am I being paranoid?
I'm particularly curious about paragraphs 3, 4 and 5.

<Errr....technical issue with the firewall from work - can't post the pic of redacted settlement until I get home...it'll be a couple hours.>

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any documentation of what the settlement contains...?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see why you would sign a settlement for your wife's medical claim.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't see why you would sign a settlement for your wife's medical claim.
View Quote

I won't be, but it forbids third part claims.

Here is the settlement:

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard release language.  That release does release property damage, so be careful.  Some states differentiate between property damage and personal injury, and have different standards for releasing each type of claim.  I don't know about yours.

There's nothing saying that you can't write on the pre-printed form something to the effect that property damage will be settled with a separate agreement, and cross out the reference to property damage in the release.  Initial it and send it back.  If they're happy, they'll send you a check or pay the bills.  If not, they'll send it back.  If they send it back, it will be a big clue as to how they view the agreement.

This is not legal advice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

3: you can't sue them. You extinguish all claims.

4: the settlement includes medpay portions.

5:  they aren't admitting liability.
View Quote

So the medical bills come out of the dollar amount in the first paragraph?

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The size of that release means that the defense attorney had that file on a flat fee basis...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The size of that release means that the defense attorney had that file on a flat fee basis...
View Quote

It's a insurance company that insures clients with multi-DUIs. The experience has reflected that.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Reads like medpay, which in MS is a separate benefit under the policy.  My release is a lot longer than that one, and spells it out more clearly.  I take it you didn't get an attorney licensed in your state to review?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3: you can't sue them. You extinguish all claims.

4: the settlement includes medpay portions.

5:  they aren't admitting liability.

So the medical bills come out of the dollar amount in the first paragraph?

Reads like medpay, which in MS is a separate benefit under the policy.  My release is a lot longer than that one, and spells it out more clearly.  I take it you didn't get an attorney licensed in your state to review?

The amount of money is fairly trivial. I'm just trying to figure out if the medical bills come out of the cash settlement, because in that case, they already went over the cash amount.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't sign until you ask an attorney licensed in your state to read it and explain it to you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't sign until you ask an attorney licensed in your state to read it and explain it to you.
View Quote

Yep. Pay a few dollars, their experience will be well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I know this post is old. But, FYI never ever ever sign a release to an insurance company.  They can not deny you payment if you don,t.  Medical problems can show up later related to an accident.  Undiscovered damage to your auto could come to light.   If you signed a waiver, your just screwed.  It the insurance company way of saying screw you if anything else shows up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:25:10 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a super short release.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top