Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 9:56:55 AM EDT
I check my credit score once a year or so and found something this past time. Its a small medical bill that just went into collections last month. I never knew about the bill as the I paid the a bill
from the doctor, but I guess there was an extra diagnostic bill also. Well the diagnostic people sent it to an address that I lived at 3 years ago and so obviously I would have never known about the bill, therefore it went to collections.

I have requested a bill from the diagnostic place now, to my new address and wanted to make sure it had in writing that if I paid said bill, the item would be removed from my credit.
I guess im asking is there anything else I should do? I plan on paying it, as it is a legit bill....but my above average credit score is now average because of this, after I pay it can I challenge it through transunion? or will it actually go away

ETA: I will be disputing it, just got some more information from the creditors. If they would have sent it to the proper address in the first place, It would have never made it to collections. I have never had a bill I didn't pay
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
How much is it,  if it isn't much, just pay it off if you are worried about credit score....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
its about 100$ but even if i pay it, that doesn't mean the "collections" note will disappear from my credit score.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Pay it, and pull your credit again in 90 days. It should be then updated to paid in full.  If not, write a letter to the collections firm demanding that they truthfully report.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pay it, and pull your credit again in 90 days. It should be then updated to paid in full.  If not, write a letter to the collections firm demanding that they truthfully report.
View Quote

thats the thing, it doesn't matter if it's paid in full or not....it only matters to the credit agencies that i had an item go to collections....i plan on paying it as soon as its removed from collections area.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
That is not entirely true.  Haviing an active collections account open unpaid is far bigger hit than one account that is paid in full.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
You are getting horrible advice in this thread.  You need a pay for delete agreement in writing, and you need to ask this on creditboards, not here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You are getting horrible advice in this thread.  You need a pay for delete agreement in writing, and you need to ask this on creditboards, not here.
View Quote
I agree.  Myficoforums is also a good source as well.

Also FICO scores are changing so paid medical collections do not show up on your credit.

This is a good change but it will take time, so pay for delete is your best option for now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

that is what i've read and that was what i requested from the billing company...."i want a bill that in writing says the collection debt will be erase if i agree to and pay for said bill"....thats what i asked for to be mailed to me, trans union set a date in october for the investigation to be finished on my complaint....i want to wait and see what they come up with.

if they find that the debt will come out of collection and just be restored as a regular bill....ill just pay it and be done, if not then ill look at everything i have then

i went back to the doctors office yesterday as a matter of fact to get some blood work done...and asked what the contact info was that the lab company had....and they gave me another different address
i said how does the doctors office have my correct address over the past two years and the lab company is now on the second wrong address? girl just looked at me like fuck if i know
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The current FICO 8 model ignores any collection under $100. Fico 9 that should go in effect this year will ignore all medical debt and all paid off collections.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The current FICO 8 model ignores any collection under $100. Fico 9 that should go in effect this year will ignore all medical debt and all paid off collections.
View Quote

alright...

the debt is 140$....the medical company reissued a bill and i paid it, the collection company kept calling anyway so i spent an hour cutting their ass on the phone
and i had to call the medical company back again to get them to send me something to the affect they will be requesting the paid bill comes out of collection status and just shows as a paid bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top