Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 10:47:04 AM EDT
First issue is a tenant in our hallway continue to smoke "in or near common places" which is negatively impacting my roommates (on the lease) health (asthma). Meds, urgent care and PCP visits. Measures enacted by front office (one advisory flyer placed on doors) is not resolving situation. Odor is rampant and everyone who walks on our floor smells it immediately.

Second issue is a possible bird mite infestation from a birds nest in our wall a/c unit that did not have the bottom of the cage sealed. Maintenance has refused to remove the bird nest in a timely fashion and have not replaced the a/c unit yet as promised. Bird mites are viciously biting my roommates legs and my cat's head. I already submitted samples of the mites to my local county's vector control office. I have an appointment with the vet today, looking to spend money for appointment, consultation, boarding, or maybe even skin graffing to identify mites. All potentially costly fees.

Front office won't offer us a hotel to stay in until pest control comes this Monday. Manager is obviously not aware this is a serious infestation issue. These little fuckers are crawling everywhere now.

I just don't know what to do... Pretty pissed off right now. Is this a personal injury case? Do I have cause for action in a civil suit? I would like to sue to get my costs reimbursed, get my security deposit back, break lease without penalty, and maybe be reimbursed for moving costs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Read your lease. Notify management in writing.  If they dont fix it immediately then move.  You can break a lease if the owner does not maintain it properly.  I hate apartments.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Read your lease, if you think you have a case, then send notice in writing as required or lawyer up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Handy-dandy guide from the state:

Dealing with problems
Resolving problems
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Great links. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top