Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 11:19:46 PM EDT
I live in a two person apartment, and I have a roommate.
I have a loaded glock in my locked room for home defense.
However, my roommate may or may not be into shady dealings. I'm not sure.
I know he smokes marijuana pretty regularly and has some questionable individuals around.
He is also into raves and what not and may have other drugs on the premise. Once again, not sure.
I am not certain and I do not want to make assumptions.
Hypothetically, if somebody broke into our apartment or one of his friends pulled out a weapon, and I chose to defend myself or him,
would my right to the stand your ground law (i live in NC) be affected if it turned out that my roommate was selling drugs or had illegal substances?
I don't have any illegal substances in my bedroom / apartment (that belong to me).

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a new roommate
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a lease signed for a year. I'm not sure if that's entirely plausible atm.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have a lease signed for a year. I'm not sure if that's entirely plausible atm.
View Quote

Speak to a lawyer, find out what your options are, don't go tellin the office there are drugs at home. Maybe try talking to your roomate and telling him to knock it off with the sketchy assholes
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I will.
I appreciate the input, but does anybody have an answer to my question?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I will.
I appreciate the input, but does anybody have an answer to my question?
Thanks
View Quote

Yeah, talk to a lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm no lawyer, but reading the statutes it looks like someone breaking in or an invited guest pulling a gun on you in your home is justification for lethal force.  

Your roommate may not be protected if he's dealing and HE shoots someone, but if you use (and as long as you aren't involved in any illegal activities your roommate might be) it you should be good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a new roommate
View Quote

1st post nails it!!!  The quicker the better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
1. Get a new room-mate.
2. Get a lawyer if you have too.
3. Not sure the specifics of NC law but the general rule of thumb is if it's your property and you, your property, someone else is threatened or in danger you have to right to use lethal force if necessary. If you're going to shoot, always shoot for center mass and in the report state you were "stopping the threat" not trying to kill them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Also most leases have a clause regarding criminal acts committed by renters,  usually arrest or conviction for committing crimes (drug possession, etc) can be grounds for breaking the lease.  Usually this is to protect the landlord but it can be a two-way street.  If your roommate is breaking the law you might be able to break the lease with no penalties.

Get a new place or a new roommate.  I sold a Glock 21 to a friend, good guy, with a fucked-up stoner roommate.  Cops busted roommate and searched entire house.  Took my friend's gun, wouldn't return it without a receipt from FFL.. I had given him a receipt but I was 'just a guy'.  I had my receipt from when I bought it but my receipt was from 'just a guy' as well.  PD kept the gun.  Yeah WV is good ol boy FTW.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
imo, move out, talk to a lawyer, and look at the lease more clearly.

I've been doing R.E. for about 16yrs, we usually get eforms that we can print out that have been designed for our state and covers the us/landlord to a certain degree which also has a clause in regards to early termination upon illegal substance use.

Addendums to leases are not uncommon either.

To give you an idea how I try to cover my ass, 1 yr lease is 12 pages long + 3 page addendum in 12 pt font.

Now you could narc your roommate out to get out of the lease but I'm not a laywer nor know the laws/small claims in your state.

It seems like your a responsible gun owner and have concerns on the living conditions, your answer is right there. gl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top