Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2014 10:38:13 AM EDT
I am pretty sure i have been told by others that it is illegal to make permanent modifications to a firearm such as shortening a barrel (to within law lengths) without having a ffl or gun smithing liscence (if this even exists.) but my main question is, can i shorten the barrel of an ar-15 upper while it is removed from the lower since it is no longer part of the firearm? Also, are 80% lowers still legal in conneticut?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if big brother is watching you...
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure i have been told by others that it is illegal to make permanent modifications to a firearm such as shortening a barrel (to within law lengths) without having a ffl or gun smithing liscence (if this even exists.) but my main question is, can i shorten the barrel of an ar-15 upper while it is removed from the lower since it is no longer part of the firearm? Also, are 80% lowers still legal in conneticut?
View Quote

It is not illegal to made permanent modifications to a firearm without an FFL  so long as you are not doing so as a business.  And its certainly not illegal to do so to your own firearms.

From ATF website:

Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[27 CFR 478.11]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Are 80% lowers still legal? As long as the weapon is made with zero evil features?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Your questions for CT would be better addressed in the Hometown forum.

As far as 80%s go, there isn't currently a way to legally complete one.  The new ban changed the way features are counted.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
ATF will consider payment of services conduct of a business. This means any form of payment, cash, beer, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top