Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2014 1:30:45 PM EDT
I made a post back on 2/1/2014 and a recent article in a gun magazine came out with virtually the same information,

break-down of stats, etc., in my opinion.

My question is information posted on the internet (actually this site) considered intellectual property?

The post I refer to is below:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/417204_22lr_vs__9mm_reloading_price_comparison.html

The article i refer to is in "THE Blue Press" June 2014 edition, titled "9mm vs. .40S&W22LR?

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm no lawyer but.....    Unless it is copyrighted, anything you find on the internet is fair game.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I'm no lawyer but.....    Unless it is copyrighted, anything you find on the internet is fair game.
View Quote

You should have stopped at the "but".

No.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Your postings start off as your property but when you submit them here, they are then governed by the Terms of Service of the website.

For the sake of argument, lets say that the Terms of Service don't give the Blue Press permission to use your article. You can't copyright "facts". You can only copyright the actual expression you used.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup,   this is precisely why I am not a lawyer! And why I preceded my "but" with the disclaimer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The 9mm v. 22lr comparison you did is hardly difficult to make, complex, or novel. There's nothing special about it so what's your problem?

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your postings start off as your property but when you submit them here, they are then governed by the Terms of Service of the website.

View Quote

Yeah it is a lot more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes it more complicated?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$$$
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the terms of service of this site are a mess, but that is the start of the analysis.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, the terms of service of this site are a mess, but that is the start of the analysis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does not look like this site claims copyright, but when that guy published his book on this site (Lights Out), it could have gotten ugly when he went to re-publish it. Even uglier if he got a movie deal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Does not look like this site claims copyright, but when that guy published his book on this site (Lights Out), it could have gotten ugly when he went to re-publish it. Even uglier if he got a movie deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In real basic terms, anything you write is copyrighted from the moment of creation.  As was pointed out the TOS might be an issue, but more of an issue is "What are you going to do about it?"  A copyright suit might be possible, but no lawyer would take anything so penny-ante (no offense.)

Since money probably isn't likely happening you may want to contact Dillon and let them know about the situation.  If they sourced it from a freelancer, they may not know it's infringing.  You might be able to convince them to change the attribution if it's on their website, and add a "Correction" notice in their next print issue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 9mm v. 22lr comparison you did is hardly difficult to make, complex, or novel. There's nothing special about it so what's your problem?

View Quote

1) I was simply asking for information.

2) I doubt you came up with the idea or information you deem so trivial...

So what seems to be your problem?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he was a bit brusque.  But the factual portions of your post are not copyrightable. Only the expression as I mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, he was a bit brusque.  But the factual portions of your post are not copyrightable. Only the expression as I mentioned earlier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a very simplistic view.  It's more appropriate to say that data is not subject to copyright, but ANY expression of that data can be subject to copyright.  The best examples are phone books.  The data points inside - Jane Doe's phone number is 202-555-2222, or John's address is 12345 Lane Road - are are not subject to copyright.  The phone company cannot sue if I write in a blog post "Jane's Phone number is 202-555-2222."  But they CAN sue - and have - if I copy a page from the phone book and post it.  Or if I create my own directory by directly copying theirs.

So in the original case, the data that 9mm goes so fast and penetrates so far isn't copyrightable. But if it is presented the same way it's infringement.  EVEN if the way it's presented is relatively mundane, as long as the original presentation was the OP's original work.

ETA: Oh, and "difficult, complex, or novel" has NOTHING to do with copyright.  You are confusing it with patents.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, it is a bit simplistic.  But that's because explaining in detail the holding of Feist vs. Rural Telephone here will put most to sleep.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/499_US_340.htm

And not necessarily any expression would be protected, but to explain would get into my favorite doctrine - merger.

I think my summation was accurate enough.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA: Oh, and "difficult, complex, or novel" has NOTHING to do with copyright.  You are confusing it with patents.
View Quote

I wasn't really making a legal argument, I was just saying he is wasting his time.

However, something that is extremely simple is harder to have a copyright in. You see this come up a lot in logos.

But really, how many different ways are there to make a .22lr v reloaded 9mm price comparison?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, let me put it another way. I feel it was a copy infringement of my "expression."

Truthfully, how many times have you had that "original" thought concerning 9mm vs. 22lr?

I'm not looking to collect anything here. I don't believe in suing people even though I could have for very major events in my life.

I'm just examining the issue.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top