Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2014 7:41:51 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

So I'll be moving to Florida in the fall for school (Naples area) and I have a few unusual questions about your state's gun laws. Firstly, when I arrive in Florida, and if I'm going to be there from September 2014 to May 2015, is it possible for me to establish residence? I plan on transferring to another Florida school after my first year at AMU in Naples, so I thought I might as well try to obtain residency ASAP.

Anyways, on to gun-related stuff.. If I'm living in Florida attending school, but I'm not an FL resident, can I still purchase firearms from local FFL/Private Parties in Florida?

Also, I read in some other Florida native's post that the "Supreme Court passed a law that allows university students in Florida to store their firearms in their personal vehicles on campus". Is this true??

Finally, is it true that a person who is 18 or older may legally purchase a handgun & handgun ammo from a private seller w/o any sort of permits, special permission, etc.? And if this is true, can said person legally use that handgun at a shooting range?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as buying all you have to do is change your drivers license to your florida address which im not sure you can do if you live in the campus houseing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Federally your answer is yes. See ATF Rule 80--21 here.
http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-80-21.pdf

Next it is up to you to convince a FL FFL that you are legit. Since FL sees so many snowbirds, they are very familiar with dual residency unlike a lot of other states.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top